Entertaining kids for hours with magic

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Whenever I think about magic, which is basically constantly, I'm always grateful for these forums. I love bouncing ideas off of you guys and love your advice.

I wanted to talk about ways that I have found to keep kids entertained with magic for long periods of time.

Last week I made a post about how kids will follow me when I perform. A few people acted like I hate children or think I somehow am not entertaining to kids or adults. In response to that I can say that I started doing kids shows at the age of 7. Birthday parties and scouting events were how I made extra money till I was a teenager.
I performed magic at a shaved ice booth into my teenage years and transitioned into making magic my full-time profession about 3 years ago. I've had the chance to perform for many groups people and while I'm still learning, I'd like to think I have gathered some knowledge over the years.

Recently, 2 tricks have come in super handy when I am asked to do walk around. Most of my material has a clear beginning middle and end but these two tricks can be performed in less than a minute, or over and over for the same group.

The first is Flux, the which hand effect available here on Theory 11. This is one of those rare effects that get stronger as you perform it more. They place a coin in their hand and you guys where it is. It's simple enough for little kids, but also works great for adults, especially grumpy old men. The kind of guys that might be hard to perform for generally. Of course, I think it's best to know one or two which hand routines to fall back on that don't require gimmicks, but for the long haul and for a group of a bunch of kids this is great magic.

The other new effect I have loved, especially for reeeeeeeeeally little kids (2 year olds and such) is the Penrose Pendant by Jeff Prace. It's not widley available yet, but will be released online in the near future. It's a cool levitation kinds of effect with a pendant on a necklace. It's not the most amazing thing in the world but it makes the kids feel like they are doing the magic. It's clever enough that you can repeat it indefinitely, and when you hand it out there's nothing to see. Oh, and it's self contained and doesn't take up any pocket space! Super practical!

Sometimes I call this type of magic "do me" magic, or "me next" magic and I've written about this in my column at Penguin Magic Monthly. Progressive anagrams, the birthday/day of the week calculation are like this for older audiences.

Do you do any magic like this? What do you do when you need to entertain a group for a long period of time without a ton of props?

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
I lean toward Sponge balls multiplying in their hands. Plucking a coin out of the kid from somewhere has many followers too. I never got the idea of pulling it from their ear because I think it's better when they can watch the production, but that's just me. So just a couple of simple magical productions that happen in their hands or seemingly from their elbow or ear or such. Easy for them to follow and magical looking.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results