Entertainment!

Hello T11 members,
First off Happy Thanksgiving. Second, how can an entertainer that does sleight of hand make it known that he is there to entertain, not fool the pants off the receiving party over and over. Sometimes it's about everybody relaxing and not all about the chance to catch a sleight here and there? Tell me your thoughts I'd enjoy reading some replies.

Feb 28, 2008
If you're hired to perform, I think it would be fine to simply explain what you're trying to get across.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
The key is rapport. You don't want to be like David Blaine, he's more about shock-value than entertianment. You have to be funny, and relaxed with your audience. Have a good time, and they will too.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
As I perform close up for people I keep a fun, laughing, environment, where nobody really even cares to catch me. The people are having fun watching the magic happen. The mood doesn't even allow for people to call me out on a sleight.

Occasionally afterward someone may catch me off to the side and say, "hey man...I think I know how you did that one trick" and sometimes they are right and sometimes not.

For example if you are performing Skinner's 3 card monte....instead of having the spectators randomly guess at a card and merely have a chance of getting it correct...you use your patter in a way that you play the part of the spectator as well.
"Now many of you believe the the ace is right here...however....."

You need to get the audience on your side from the beginning of the set so that they understand it is not YOU v.s. THEM in a contest of skill and what they can and cannot catch. You are there to make sure everyone is having a great time and that they not only enjoy the magic but your company as well.

Will is correct...Rapport is huge.

Apr 1, 2009
California
Enough Blaine bashing. The man knows what he's talking about when it comes to magic. He knows what real magic is about. He did retreat to Colorado with Paul Harris after to study and reflect on it after all. His performance is his performance. I think when it comes to a well studied artist, when they make a well informed decision on their performance style (a very personal matter for the artist), it can be subject to critique too much. You either love or you hate. You are free to your own opinions. No fault there.

Anyway. It's all about performance in the end. If you don't want to be part of a game of hide-and-seek, don't present it as such. People normally won't partake in this game if they are genuinely "astonished" and genuinely "entertained". I had an experience where I performed the ash on arm trick. Biggest reaction I've ever gotten. The person having the trick done to them reacted in my defense. She did not want to hear explanations of any sort. "I don't even want to know how that was done." Telling others to just keep their thoughts to themselves because she "was genuinely fooled" wanted it to sink in and savor the moment. And when astonished, it's something you want to savor and reflect on.

Hello T11 members,
First off Happy Thanksgiving. Second, how can an entertainer that does sleight of hand make it known that he is there to entertain, not fool the pants off the receiving party over and over. Sometimes it's about everybody relaxing and not all about the chance to catch a sleight here and there? Tell me your thoughts I'd enjoy reading some replies.
just do what you do, people will have a lot of views on you, but just keep performing and they'll soon get the idea.....if not, they aren't trying....

Make it a magical presentation and not a watch what I can do. It's rare for me to find a real heckler anymore, and if I do it's because there's just no chance of pleasing them.

Make every movement have a point and put emphasis on the magical movements. Like when you snap or wave or w/e your thing is, put out the image of you really doing magic. Not saying they will believe in the magic but it'll put some ease into it.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Make it a magical presentation and not a watch what I can do. It's rare for me to find a real heckler anymore, and if I do it's because there's just no chance of pleasing them.

Make every movement have a point and put emphasis on the magical movements. Like when you snap or wave or w/e your thing is, put out the image of you really doing magic. Not saying they will believe in the magic but it'll put some ease into it.

Dude, you are getting into my top "favourite users". I was going to post here kinda the same thing that you posted, but I saw your post and you pretty much said it all.

I agree with this guy.

Glad to hear it RDChopper, your opinion is one I do respect. Hecklers are a fun subject of course only when you get comfortable with it. Don't feel bad about hecklers, they are just a learning experience on what to improve on. You can perform for your parents and friends but hecklers are real world experience.

One thing you have to remember is that some people will always be hecklers. It's okay, you just need to move on and understand them. I have found quite a few people who are just natural hecklers and nothing will please them. These usually aren't the ones who are real jerkoffs, they are more suddell and try to figure everything out. Maybe it's because of an overpowered curiousity thing, or they just love puzzles and everything is like that to them.

Watch Shane Black do his Pandora thing, he jokes around and is having fun entertaining. Yet when he does his magical moment he focuses on it and ignores all else. He puts out the real image that something is happening and he's about to make the crowd go "AHHHHH SH#$$%." If you don't believe it then nobody else will.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results