Erdnase change and laymen

Are laymen likely to recognise the erdnase change?

• Yes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Show 3 cards on top to be different, then DL to show it rised instead

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 24, 2008
Hi,
One of the phases to my ACR involves an erdnase change. Now I am wondering if I should substitute it with something else or leave it, because it seems likely to me that laymen might know this change from Youtube, and once they realise what has happened, the whole method to ACR is pretty much exposed (once you turn the changed selection over, they will know what's actually happening).

Will doing the change with all fingers spread make it less likely, for those laymen who've seen it, to recognise it? I also keep my index finger on the front of deck/card the whole time so it doesn't really look like the typical 12 year old youtube kid doing erdnase change.

I am using Oz's routine from Born to Perform, as it is 4-5 phases with each one building up upon the previous one, and the change happens during the second rise if that helps, thanks.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Laymen don't care about magic. They are not trolling through YouTube looking for magic videos. Furthermore, if you're entertaining them, they won't look for methods.

Jul 13, 2010
If you do it correctly, no layman will notice. Don`t let them suspect it, don`t overuse it in your routine.
There are serveral fine points that will make the EC better. I`ve seen someone doing it in a way that looks absolutely incredible/convincing (can`t remember his name, sorry), even for the ones who are in the know.
As with every sleight, it`s easy to do it badly or to expose the method (e.g. too much back and forth movement). Don`t use it before you have perfected it.

Fin

Jun 5, 2012
Learn the Hurricane Change.. It makes the standard Erdnase look, well, standard. PM me if you need any more details

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
The Erdnase change is one that many, many magicians do, but few really do well. As simple as it is, it requires months of practice to be truly deceptive. If you put the work in, its beautiful. But that is true of any change, so it really is up to you. Personally, no change is better to me than DG's Ego change, although I've been working on that change since I came into magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results