Eric Jones' 4 Coins Across routine

Jan 9, 2012
Hey guys,

Does anybody on here perform Eric Jones' 4 coins-across routine as taught in his Metal 1 DVD?
I really love practicing it and performing it..it gets awesome reactions, especially when you
vanish the coin and make it appear in the spectator's closed hand in the finale of the routine.

-A.L

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Yeah, I've done it a number of times. It's not difficult, but it takes a while to practice some timing issues. If you get that down, it's gold. And yeah, having the last coin travel to their hand is an awesome way to end the routine!

Jan 9, 2012
Agreed! I think the Han-Pin-Chang move (or whatever he referred to it as, I might have butchered the name,) is really the only part that requires good timing. I think that's the most interesting and deceptive move in the entire routine.

I really like playing with the half-dollars..leave it up to magicians to be easily entertained for hours with circular pieces of metal!

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
yeah, it's definitely a timing issue. It took me a month of good practice to make it look really good. I've seen a number of those attempting it and it's obvious they haven't put the time in.

I have also been working on a Winged Silver type routine where 3 coins go across. It requires different sleights but it looks pretty good, with the downside of the coins not traveling to the spectator's hands like in Eric's routine.

Aug 17, 2010
Is this the same routine that's on An Extension Of Me? If so, then yes - I've done it a bunch of times.

The Han Ping Chen is best done casually on the off beat; don't make a move out of it, and you'll be fine.

AHG

Aug 23, 2012
Can someone say how to perform the Han Ping Chen (sp.?) maneuver if standing up? It's not clear to me how the routine EJ describes on the DVD relates to the routine you see him performing live on the street. Thanks.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
You use a spectator's hand as your "table" and then do the move. I haven't attempted to do it like that, but that's what he does on the DVD.

Sep 14, 2012
champagne by a wealthy man, diamond baron Charles Kimble (Eric Blore ). ... them both, until they use their infamous 'patty cake' routine to escape.

thanks for sharing.

vps windows

Jan 9, 2012
I was just watching that street performance he does on 'Metal' recently, and picked up on the same thing. He does use the spectator's hand as a table..seemed pretty gutsy to do that! I wonder how that move feels to the spectator.

The handful of times I've performed this routine, I've always been a little on-edge about my spectator noticing a classic palm, but it's never happened. Does this mean that my palm is natural and not "arthritic"-looking?

Sep 4, 2012
It's a great effect, reminds me of some of the coins across methods I learned in old books from the library when I was a kid, but done very well, and very smoothly.

This thread also highlights one of my pet-peeves in magic- So we're all clear, it is the Han Ping Chien move. It is not the Hung Cha or the Han Pan Chung... It's really not that difficult to remember how to spell it, and the fact that it isn't an english word doesn't change that. It's three very very small words.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results