Eternally Bondett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
Well folks, as some of you may already know, an effect of my friend Morgan Bondett was ripped off recently by Jusitn Miller. There was a great post by Morgan on the Magic Cafe that was just deleted.

Fortunately for you guys, I copied it for you. So here it is in all it's glory:

Hello Fellow Magic enthusiasts,
This will be my first, and only, post on the magic café – however, I think it is time that the magic community knows the facts about Trans-fixed, Justin Miller and my effect. Because I have been away from my computer, and haven’t read all the posts – I will restate the story and make my points known.
In 2004, Aaron Delong mentioned to me over the phone that it would be neat idea to mix Anniversary Waltz and Kick back – I decided to create a method. When I met up with Delong, at the magic camp we have worked at over the past few years at the time, I shared what the results were. He loved it, and video taped the method to our co-creation to remember it. I have been refining it and have shown it to Tyler Wilson and Nathan Kranzo at past encounters. In 2005-2006, Aaron states he not only showed the ending to Miller’s effect, but sent him the video handling of the effect because Aaron had my permission to share it for underground performance with Miller – not publication. Miller has sense came up with a “variation” of my effect, and when informed to credit me, felt it was unnecessary. Aaron contacted me to let me know that, yet again, I had been stolen from. At first, I didn’t really care…it has happened before, and it’s only a card trick. After all, I don’t sell magic to make a living; I work a government job and do close up magic for lay people to make my living. I have been ripped off so much, that it has become a running gag with my circle. Tyler Wilson and I have planned a weekend session and on the phone I mentioned I was ripped…again, Tyler was upset for me and magic. He knows that I have time and time trusted the magic community, to be disappointed by those looking to make a quick buck and helped make a name. He decided to call Justin out on the magic café. Not long after the post, I received a phone call at 2 am, from Justin wanting to deal with the issue. Miller and I talked for a few days, as he will call you time and time again if you answer your phone – and he came across as a nice guy. As time went by, and I started to question Justin, and listen to his answers, as they changed by the moment - I started to not trust him. He will say that I kept changing my tune, as we decided that one thing was okay, but the more he talked the more it made me change my mind with the answers he gave and behavior he demonstrated. At one point saying, “I will destroy you, do you know who I am, JUSTIN MILLER! He has ripped off effects from others that have called to tell me their story, and I know for a fact that he has had payment issues for the effect “Believe” with Aaron Delong. I no longer want to do business with him, not because I don’t like him – because that it not the issue, but because I feel that he is living up to his reputation. Here are the facts that make me question his behavior:
Miller will tell you that he did not know of me, nor was he informed of my existence – however, Miller admitted that Aaron told him of crediting “another guy”. Aaron says that he not only mentioned my name, but stated that the friendship we have is more important that a stupid card trick. We must remember that Miller has much to lose and Aaron has little to gain by lying about the facts. Even if Aaron was lying and in Miller’s own words only heard of “another guy”, I feel that Miller didn’t do his homework when he heard of this “other guy”, for what if this other guy was a name like Nate Kranzo, Homer Lewag or Chris Kenner…oh wait, we all know how that turned out? So the credit changed…and fast, as you know Miller released a massive press release, changed credits on his DVD, and added me to his web site to placate me. What does it mean to add someone’s name, as long as your name is on the title, you can still make money off it, and you can make your deal with your magic company to sell your stolen goods? . Miller will come on and say, “I have gone above and beyond to credit Morgan, and make up for ‘not knowing’ that I should have credited him” – fair enough, but how is putting my name on it really a solution? How about allowing me to publish mine first and then publish yours. I asked Miller to take his down until this happened, and he would not. Going above and beyond is a nice thing, but when you make a mistake – that is not the minimum – a mistake that could have been avoided if Justin would have contacted me before he sold the effect.
Moreover, Miller says he never saw my effect – yet he credits Aaron Delong for showing him an underground effect that inspired his effect…hmm, whose effect was that? Miller says he credited Aaron because he “told me too”, which makes no sense. The reason you credit Aaron, was because you saw him do the ending of the effect we created, concept and method, together . Miller says it wasn’t the entire effect – fair enough – but I want you to imagine hearing a great riff from a great song at a concert, and the song was not recorded – then you go home make your own song with that riff in it and record it, selling it before the creator records theirs. Furthermore, the only part that appears different is that he is using a double backer, and I use a double facer, and the expository phase (read Strong Magic), the magical phase is identical. In both of our effects there is a transposition, like kick back, and the cards melt into one, writing on both sides. If my contribution is not that big a deal, then change the ending to your effect Miller – what would you have?
Miller says, “You are not brilliant Morgan, it is only card magic, we could have came up with the same/similar effect. Maybe so, yet when he credited me and we talked about the financial part of the effect and I asked him to buy me out of the effect – he agreed to 50% of the sales. If you really created an effect independently and someone asked you for half of your profit, would you so easily agree? He agreed to the money and to allow me to retain rights of my own effect? This appears like the actions of someone that wants to sweep the facts under the rug and offer me some hush money. This combined with the fact that Aaron has swore on the life of his family and our close friendship, that Justin has seen it in more than one form, made me feel like I was being hustled. As soon as I question Justin about how he would pay for the full buy out, as I had no way to audit him, he backed out of the deal – stating, “You seem unsure, so forget it”. A tactic used by con artists to try and pressure the individual in making a bad decision as he may lose the money.
Miller obviously knows that he was in the wrong, hence the mass amount of work he did to try and credit me. He will state, “What a great guy I am, I credited Morgan for his work”; however, it comes across like a guy that didn’t do his homework and he is making up for a mistake that should have not have happened. People make mistakes, but this isn’t the first time he has made this same mistake. As a magic community, we cannot continue to allow this kind of thing to happen. There is not law that deals with this, no way to make it stop – we have to do it. As a group we can prevent this from happening by NOT supporting those who make a living off the backs of others.
That being said, to do my part to better the magic community, I will be publishing mine very soon…thanks to the premature actions of Justin Miller, but I will be giving my effect away for FREE. I don’t want the money, I want you to have the best product and perform it with respect. I want you to know that you have helped magic by NOT supporting the theft of ideas, concepts, handlings, effects.
Why hasn’t this happened before Morgan? Why hasn’t anyone taken a stand? What is the difference now? Well, I am not Kenner or Lewag, I don’t have a magic community reputation to uphold. I am a working magician, with a University education and a career beyond magic. However, before that I have done magic as a living for 10 years, and used it to pay my way through school. This puts me in a different position – I can speak the truth and not tarnish my “image” in the circle. I have nothing to gain or lose by telling you what really happened – all I hope is that the theft of intellectual property is reduced, if not ceased all together. I have nothing to gain from this matter, but I write this for those that have defended me, as they do have more to lose.
Tyler Wilson is a stand up guy, and put his butt on the line to try and stop this, not just for me, but for those of you that will be or want to publish something. If it was not for him, I may have never have heard from Justin Miller and been able to resolve this, as his post caused Justin to call me within the hour. Aaron Delong is also a stand up guy that just wanted, from the start, for Justin to do what was right. How can magic be better, if we don’t support guys like this that choose magic integrity over magic blood money. When I was about to make a deal with Justin for a large sum of cash, I was going to give half of the money to Aaron, for his contribution, as it is half his effect – he felt, as I did, that it is more important to make a statement of what is right, than profit on this effect – or we would be as bad as what we are fighting against.

Sep 1, 2007
Here is the second half of the post. It was too long to be one post:

For those of you that are Christians and support Justin, realize that I am too. I do not hold a grudge on Justin. I have forgiven him, which is why he calls us friends. However, the commandment “Thou shall not steal” comes to mind here. If you purchase Trans-fixed, then you are supporting something that has been stolen in concept, has been asked to be taken down and not sold until I publish mine, and you maintain the concept that it is okay to take an idea from another worker and publish it – because all you have to do to make things right is slap his name on it…if he even finds out, and everyone will think you are a hero on the magic café. Come on fellow magicians, Justin will tell you what he needs to say after this I am sure, for he calls it “damage control” over the phone, but really the damage control came in the form of needing a new effect to go to a convention with so he can make a quick buck off you. I just want you to make magic better by being aware of what you are supporting when you buy an effect. If he continues to sell it, my name should be on it…at the very least, but I don’t want it to sell. Once mine is published, I hope it sells like the Invisible Deck for him, for this is the right action. Until then, if Justin won’t do what is right – I leave it up to you to make your voice heard. Your actions will speak on how you feel about this – oh, and if you think you are missing out on the next “big thing”, you are not. Look for mine to be in print ASAP, under the name “Eternal Bondett” – I will try to post it for free on the café as well.
Lastly, I hope that the threads being deleted was not a sign of the magic café not supporting the theft of magic property – as I am sure that they would agree with those involved on this point. Let’s stick to the points:
1) The effect is the same in concept and ending as Aaron’s and mine
2) Aaron and Justin share magic ideas and chances are, as Aaron states, he has seen the effect
3) Justin went out of his way to credit me and offer me half of the profit, even though he states it’s not the same effect
4) Justin has a reputation of being a smooth talker that has stolen from other magicians in the past
5) Justin worries about the money – Tyler, Aaron and I worry about the integrity of magic and intellectual property
6) You can spend $25 bucks and support the theft of intellectual property, or you can wait a little while and read it for free in a magazine and on the café.

Thank you for your time and for reading the long post – I hope all is clear now and you now can make an informed choice. Whatever the choice you make, I am sure you now understand the consequences. Good luck with your magic…as long as it’s yours.
Morgan Bondett
morgan@morganthemagician.com

Justin sent this email out to his newsletter subscribers at 3:00 PM EST today.
Justin Miller said:
UPDATE!

Morgan Bondett has changed his mind again!
Seems like those only interested in crediting issues now want me to admit to stealing THE ENTIRE trick and paying HIM money..that will never happen because I did not steal anything let alone the entire trick.
I made a mistake in crediting I fixed it in these ways:

* I changed the web-site to reflect Morgan's inspiration for the ending of Trans-fixed and linked his site from mine.
* I include a written copy of Morgan's inspiration on the front cover of the dvd now.
* When Trans-fixed is re-filmed I will include a VERY special section dedicated to just Morgan.
* I have called him numerous times to stay on the same page..he without question has been reading an entirely different book.
* I have spoken highly of him in the forums from the beginning.

But I am getting the feeling that he is the deceiving me here is what he has promised:

* Morgan has promised to get on the forums for the past 3 days and confirmed what we have talked about in each conversation..he has not!
* Morgan has promised to rebuke his friends Aaron and Tyler for the Vicious attacks they have placed on my character an my family..he has not!
* Morgan has promised EACH time we have talked that THAT agreement would be fine...HE CONTINUES TO CHANGE HIS MIND!

I do not trust Morgan at all..I think they are playing a Game and trying to bully me into something I DID NOT DO!

I have stopped playing that game.
I write this to ONLY you my fan base so that you know I have done everything in MY POWER to make things right..it is not enough for these guys.

So Morgan and I came to a new agreement last night..lets see if this one gets changed as well.

Since neither of us have actually SEEN each others effect from start to finish..I thought it best to send each other our tricks so that we can finally see what we have been fighting over.
I have on record my effect on dvd and a plethora of people have bought it. So I placed Trans-fixed in an envelope last night filled out the customs form and it is awaiting to be shipped..what am I waiting for? I am going to wait to get Morgans trick in the mail so he cannot suddenly change his mind and NOT send me his and just say I stole it. My record has shown I have taken action in this mater..his has not.
So I await for Morgan to send me his and then I will send him mine..and then we will finally see what is what.

Stay tuned....
JUSTIN N. MILLER
Just so you can see both sides of the story here.

Ryan

Sep 1, 2007
The problem with Justin's email, yet again is that he has seen Morgan's already. His entire effect is based on it. He even says so in other posts that no one will get to read because he has them deleted from the Magic Cafe.

Justin, you have seen Morgan's version. You performed Morgan's version. You called me saying how much your audiences were enjoying Morgan's version. I taught it to you. I sent you a video of it. I am the one who knows for a fact you have seen Morgan's version.....

Now you tell your fan base that you are waiting to see if Morgan will do something to appease you. Laughable.

Aaron

having lobbied for steve dueseks effect recently i can understand completely what you mean. i hope this some how ends amicably. iv looked up to justin alot, as another christain magician, i hope he just lets this effect go. money is not worth it

Frankly, I was very disappointed to see the discussion deleted from the cafe.

Most of all, I hope that this unholy story can be ended soon. I think this is a very important moment for magic - a moment that will define where we are heading to in the future.

To all stakeholders - make the right choice.

Reputation is almost priceless - the income from this one trick will never make it up. It is still not too late to correct things.

Andy

Aaron, Tyler and Morgan are great guys. I have jammed with them at magic camp, at conventions and on a bus once or twice and these guys are NOT anything like Justin is claiming. Justin has a reputation for stealing material. His points are weak and they do not speak the truth. I know these guys and they would willingly share effects with others and have taught me so much and I respect these guys alot. It is extremely unfortunate that some people don't respect magic. It is sad to me everytime i see something downloadable online that someone has put alot of work into. Justin is creative and has come up with some cool stuff. A magicians I really respect told me about "The Magic Bastard" and this is proof of it.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Frankly, I was very disappointed to see the discussion deleted from the cafe.

Most of all, I hope that this unholy story can be ended soon. I think this is a very important moment for magic - a moment that will define where we are heading to in the future.

To all stakeholders - make the right choice.

Reputation is almost priceless - the income from this one trick will never make it up. It is still not too late to correct things.

Andy

Exactly.

having lobbied for steve dusheck's effect recently i can understand completely what you mean. i hope this some how ends amicably. iv looked up to justin alot, as another christain magician, i hope he just lets this effect go. money is not worth it

Likewise after lobbying alongside you for Steve's effect that entire ordeal has really changed my outlook on magic that is out there. I am much more apprehensive about new effects these days regardless of who releases them. I have to agree with you yet again entirely here Joshua.

--Jim

There is a reason I am getting on this forum to post this reply. As Aaron and others continue to try and defame Justin's name, I feel someone who has been there and part of this for the last three days I should chime in some of my observations. Just for the record. I do not feel Justin has to go completely out of his way for Morgan, I think Justin has done too much. THey keep saying Justin has seen Justin's trick, but the TRUTH is it has been a year or two since Aaron showed Justin a kick back for an ending... which inspired Justin's ending for Transfixed. Also for the record Justin and Morgan have never seen each other's tricks, this is all hearsay. I think before making some HUGE statements as above, the tricks should atleast be compared. Calling someone a THIEF is a huge statement about someone's character unless all corners have been looked at. The bible since quoted,,, also says that God Loves Justice and that all people should be given fair and equal trial.
What bothers me the most about all of this is that Aaron was a family friend, and he did not come to us in private about this.. HE went on to a forum calling Justin a thief and liar. When Justin says it's o.k Aaron I forgive you, Aaron replied with "I don't need yoru forgiveness." I mentioned to Aaron that this is unneccesary and Justin will make things right but he continues to try and hurt Justin's name. (it seems to me there are other issues Aaron has with Justin. )Once again I feel these matters should have been settled among brothers and friends before taking them public with such bold acusations. The public can really take sides when people come out and say things, and it can hurt a person's career. Look at Cooperfield right now.
I assure you Justin Would not take someone else's trick to make money (to lie or cheat or steal) That is considered ruthless and cruel. Justin has backed many magicians up on the forum and in private when he has felt there tricks were being stolen. I am defending my husband as I know how he has sincerely tried to make things right.. Not because he feels he is so wrong, but because that is who Justin is...I feel he has tried too hard. He also did this because he respected Aaron. I feel this communication below on a PM might be helpful to show you what Justin's been dealing with.. Please look at Justin's history in magic to see if Justin has taken other's tricks to make money, or if stealing someone else's tricks don't upset him. Sorry this is so lengthy. From another piece in the puzzle.. Justin's wife. Ang
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have prayed about this and I have sought councel..not bias but Godly councel. And no I did not JUST make ammends to Morgan that started the day I called him..and you had nothing to do with that. That has been between me and morgan the entire time...and the ending..guess what between me and morgan not you.
You really think I will back down..then you do not know me.

Justin

Aaron DeLong

Loyal user
Posted: Thu, Nov 15th, 2007 - 8:44 PM (EST)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**** off you loser. I am done trying to be nice to you. It is apparent to me that you are some sort of retard.

You don't get it. You did WRONG. It is not rectified yet! Have you signed a contract with Morgan yet? Have you sent him money yet or even determined how much you are going to buy the rights from him for yet? NOPE!!! NOT AS OF 6 pm tonight you hadn't!!! Yet you lie to everyone saying Morgan is satisfied. Bull!! He isn't going to be satisfied until you buy the rights. Clearly you are mental!

NOTHING IS RECTIFIED. Money talks... then your B.S. walks.

Aaron

Justin N. Miller

Aaron DeLong

Loyal user
Posted: Thu, Nov 15th, 2007 - 9:02 PM (EST)

It's Morgan and I... not Morgan and myself.... geez.

No, Morgan is going to tell the world that it is resolved. Not that you didn't do anything wrong. Not that I am wrong. He will tell the world you are a stand-up guy for making it right. I agree with that if indeed you make it right. Until then... you are WRONG.

Again... P I S S off!

Aaron DeLong

Loyal user
Posted: Thu, Nov 15th, 2007 - 9:06 PM (EST)

Actually, I'm just bored with all of this. I'm rehashing everything with you and it never makes a difference.

So I entertain myself. It so happens that your writing is awful and I'd thought I'd lend a tip here and there.
Aaron DeLong

Special user
Posted: Thu, Nov 15th, 2007 - 9:19 PM (EST)

Aaron,
Justin has been sharing with me the situation at hand. First of all Aaron, I am getting on right now to write something because I too have considered you a friend. I appreciated deeply the advice you gave me during some very tough times. You need to stop being a bully and pray about this..I have spoke to Justin in private at our home and asked him to search his conscious about wether or not this is something he stole from someone else, I asked him to really pray wether or not he felt this is something he took from someone else to make money. Never even thinking it would be because Justin will name almost any magician that has insipired him at lectures or conventions when doing tricks, but ... anyways just to make sure our family would be protected before God, because that's where the real REAL power comes from at the end of the day...He did and we agreed before each other and God...IT did NOT come from someone else Aaron... You are being way to brass.. But that is your own free will.. Justin didn't have to do any of this for you or Morgan, Justin just doesn't like having a bad name...Even though I explained to him in any proffession not everyone is going to like you.. I feel he is doing too much at this point for your information... Many magicians are inspired by other tricks that doesn't make them unoriginal...They don't give that magician money for the inspiration.. These are two differnet tricks. . Please chose your words carefully as a brother in Christ... There are not many; times I get Angry, but I am getting there with words like "retard." This alone should be seen as ugly and profane... as I hear these words tossed around carelessly and have a son with difficulties.. We like to say "Developmental Delay.." Retard is cruel and demeaning. I seriously hope you sshare this situation with your wife and pray with her.. I wish Justin would just leave this alone.. THis is the last PM from me as I will head to the words, "do not get carried away in fruitless controversies for those who do will become more and more UnGodly."
Hoping the best for you and yours Aaron.. Angie

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Well, maybe justin is a liar or aaron or maybe morgan just each one of you know.. I think you shouldnt make this argument public just pm each other, or use the phone or email.. I like Justin tricks I really dont care if the tricks from copperfield, cyril, miller, etc are stolen or not, I just like them.. maybe justin was fair or unfair but guys this is really not our business.. so Morgan, Justin, and Aaron solve this in private like Angie said you should've..

So in conclussion: I dont care if Transfixed, eternally bondett is authentic or not, if I like the trick I'll buy it and I think thats what we all have to do..

And guys solve this thing in private. maybe morgan and justin should publish their tricks and compare them by theirselves or let the public judge them, this can be done in public, but an argue hell no..

hope everything solves the way it should..

aris

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
So in conclussion: I dont care if Transfixed, eternally bondett is authentic or not, if I like the trick I'll buy it and I think thats what we all have to do..

You can stick to speaking for yourself when you are going to make comments like this. I honestly find this way of thinking one of the biggest problems in magic today. To each his own I suppose...

--Jim

Nov 17, 2007
Hey Justin,
Wow, now you're dragging your wife into this to rally sympathy? You're scraping the bottom of the barrel and should be ashamed of yourself.

Justin is once again ducking the real issue: that he stole someone else's trick, and is trying to cover it up with smoke.

For those of you who were not following any of the other threads regarding this issue, let's just recap a list of the claims Justin has made in the open forums throughout the couple of days, in chronological order:

- Justin claimed to have invented a new trick all by his lonesome.

- Justin denies that he’s ever heard of Morgan or has ever seen his routine.

- Justin finally “remembers” that he did see Morgan’s routine and offers to credit him.

- Justin then agrees to give Morgan 50% of all the sales of Trans-Fixed with the agreement that he no longer talks about the issue.

- Once Morgan refuses the offer, Justin begins claiming again that he has never seen Morgan’s routine and he created Trans-Fixed all by his lonesome.

Again, all of this was claimed out in the open and I'm sure many of you read it all before it was deleted.

I guess his story changed enough times that he felt he needed to bring his wife in for yet another chapter. It's despicable and shameful.

Please do NOT buy Trans-Fixed. Thieves should not be supported in any way, shape, or form. Wait just a little longer to learn the real routine from Morgan Bondett for FREE.

Tyler Wilson

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't need to be on this forum anymore, though I will say "GO BUCKS, yes Buckeyes, but also to the Buck Twins, because I love their flourishes, and yes I have been practicing them....(pretty!)
but last post for the record, I read these threads on my own accord, and because I live in the Miller home have heard many if not all the conversations between Justin and Morgan. My interest in this thread is simply following thorough on the saga going on at our home. Aris, good post this should not be made public.

Please Tyler keep your opinions and accusations to yourself, I'm a big girl and make my own mind up about things, Justin in NO WAY told me to write anything, nor did he coerce me, though I let him know after I wrote the post to read it to make sure it was o.k to send. I am not bullied around, nor am I pushed into corners as you are trying to do to my husband. Enough said.

Nov 17, 2007
Hey Ang,
I am not sure what Justin has been telling you, but I have no desire to push people into corners (it's not within my skill set). My concern isn't even with Justin, it's with the fine people here at the Theory 11 forums. I am only asking them to spend their $25 elsewhere and learn the real routine for FREE when Morgan releases it.

Once again, I wll politely ask that we do not support and buy Trans-Fixed.

Tyler Wilson

Sadly, I'm with Tyler and Morgan on this one. It seems this is an all-to-common occurrence this day in age...especially in magic. And in my opinion (FWIW), everything that Tyler has said seems to be true from what I've read...

I'm just going to wait for Eternally Bondett to come out soon... :D

Best.
Steve

Sep 2, 2007
Guys,

I'm closing this thread. The discussion has gotten extremely heated with, unfortunately, the attacking and bashing of other members. Let's keep all discussion professional, respectful, and civil. There are rules that need to be followed.

Moreover, both parties have presented their sides, and I think it would be best to resolve the issue privately, rather than in a public forum.

Thanks,
JTM

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results