Ever spent months on something the audience never sees?

I have spent just over 3 months learning my own card move... However, the annoying thing is... It is absolutely fantastic, but the audience never actually gets to see it because it is a hidden move!

I suppose it is like practising the DL, I find it quite funny how much we learn is actually never seen.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Yes, but what they see is the effect of that move. They see the card jump to the top, they see the card in your pocket, they see the color change.

To quote Aaron Fisher: "There are some images within an effect that we want the audience to remember. The images we don't want them to remember is what we call the method."

Of course they don't see the move, but then again, you don't see the actual effect of the trick.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
To put it in perspective:

Laymen/our wonderful Audience see the performance, they feel the interaction we have with them, they are personally affected by the effect - whether that's a simple color change, or a complex, multi-phased routine that takes their understanding of reality and breaks it in two. They only know that things were, and now there are not. Or vis versa, things were not, and now they are.

However, magicians/performers see things from a more technical aspect- we notice and consciously think about each and every "move" that is done - whether or not you have practiced your handling of a certain effect into an almost "second nature". You and I, and every other performer will only look for, notice, praise, and critique the mechanical workings of an effect.

Take this, for instance: A magician had posted a video of himself performing for an audience, not too long ago. I read through the comments, mostly from magicians. There were comments like "good job on your pass", "nice thumb palm", "wow, really good handling of that trick", "amazing steal", "nice card fold", "i liked your presentation but that false count was ****ing wicked!".

Yes, those are the normal comments we ("we" defining the online community of magicians) receive. However, one comment kinda looked funny amongst the masses:

"wow, idk what these guys are talking about but dude this was freaking awesome. thanks for the show, you rock! :)"

I proceeded to click on the username above that comment, and came to find that it was just a normal person. Not a magician. It made me rethink the way I analyze my tricks- I don't care if I'm using the latest and greatest sleight, or the most complex way of doing things. We, as performers, need to change the way we look at our tricks, effects, performances, interaction, and ourselves. Instead of focusing on the trick, or on the effect, focus on the audience.

Food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once created an effect that cost 100 dollars to create then realised I will never perform it for anyone, simply because I believe it is a risk fto myself and audience members. Hint it involvs a gun.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Obviously you spend months and years on effects and moves the audience never sees. If you don't like be a ballerina not a f*cking magician, it's that simple.

-Michael

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
But some(most?) overdo it on practicing.
Like trying to make a perfect pass.Its pointless making all those videos and making it superfast if the audience isnt supposed to be looking at the deck at all in the first place.

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
But some(most?) overdo it on practicing.
Like trying to make a perfect pass.Its pointless making all those videos and making it superfast if the audience isnt supposed to be looking at the deck at all in the first place.

I agree, people over do it on practicing some times. Yeah sure practicing the method is great, but you also have to practice misdirection and many people forget that.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I agree, people over do it on practicing some times. Yeah sure practicing the method is great, but you also have to practice misdirection and many people forget that.

exactly.
They concenctrate so much on the sleight that they forget on the performance.
And most of the time,I see some magicians look at the deck while they are doing the secret move! what the poop is up with that!?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
exactly.
They concenctrate so much on the sleight that they forget on the performance.
And most of the time,I see some magicians look at the deck while they are doing the secret move! what the poop is up with that!?

It's to make sure they are doing it right. I know that Jeff McBride said that if he has to do a lot of false cuts and shuffles, he tends to look at his hands as well.

This also has to do with people doing magic that relies on way too many sleights. I mean seriously, I think the best stuff just relies on maybe 2-3 simple to intermediate sleights and than you are either set up or done.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I have whole shows worth of routines that have never seen the light of day even to close friends. Occasionally I work some of them into my shows but there are some I like the premise but cannot get a workable method to achieve it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results