Expanded Shells

Sep 1, 2007
Canada Eh?
I would stick to Kueppers. I have one, my first and I'll have to say it's decent. Tango is of lesser quality, and what I've heard, they used to be pretty bad. They're making a bit of a comback, but if you want a good shell for a reasonable price, go with the Kueppers. Good luck!

Sep 1, 2007
Florida
I'm trying to find the same thing, a good expanded shell, and was wondering if anyone actually has any schoolcraft coins, and if so how good are they? Were they worth the price?

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
Gday.
I have both Schoolcraft and Lassen shells. I also have a Tango shell, and an unknown (I was told it was Schoolcraft but I'm not so sure)
The Lassen ones are awesome, the Schoolcraft ones are good too.
The Tango one's are average. Never seen a Kueppers one, tho everyone that I've talked to that has ordered from him has been disappointed.

Basically you get what you pay for. There is a big difference in quality between the Lassen, Schoolcraft shells and the Tango shell. They are not comparable at all.

Sep 15, 2007
I have used Johnson shells for years.
Recently i bought a Walking Liberty Shell from Schoolcraft and I must say it is a very nice shell.
I use my shells for various routines such as Extroydinary and Coinone.
I use a johnsons Morgan that I have had for close to 16years and am happy with it.

I think it would really depend on what your doing with it and how hard you are on your shells. Some routines have you banging them a bit and that is tough on a cheap thin shell.
The Keupers shells are good quality theough and the pros are what I prefer from him.
Tango has had some problems with thin shells in thepast and I have not seen any of his recent work. I would go with Roy's over the tango.
Snorri

Sep 4, 2007
I just buy off of ebay. I'm always happy with what I get. Even if you end up with a bad shell, return it. If not then heh you probably payed like 2.99. I've gotten nice cheap shells there, I've gotten ALOT of stuff from ebay. My good bargain friend..... :D

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
The problems with ordering from Roy hasn't always been the coins them selves, but having to wait about 6 months for him to get off his bum and send them out.

Lassen shells are the best going round, they are expanded in a far nicer way and it keeps the coin how it should be.
Schoolcraft are good, but his expansion method isn't as good as Lassen's and you can see the difference.
then you get all your cheapies after that.

You get what you pay for. Just figure out how much you can afford to pay and go from there.

I have Sasco half dollar shell, a Johnson half dollar shell and quater shell and a Schoolcraft walking liberty shell.

In terms of quality: Schoolcraft is the best, Johnson second and Sasco third.

My Sasco has a ghosting effect near the date and lettering. It also doesn't cover as much of the edge as the Johnson and Schholcraft do.

I agree with the general conseus here that you get what you pay for.

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
here's my advice.
Buy any shell at all. Play with it, practice with it, find out if you like using shells, if you are good at using shells. Once you know you will get the value out of it, get your self the best shell you can afford. I would recommend a Lassen set if you can get one, closely followed by Schoolcraft.

Start with anything and move up from there.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results