Expect the Unexpected! It Can and Will Happen

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Two shows over the weekend and each had a different Surprise for me which we will get into. This thread is not to embarrass myself but more of a "This could be you someday!"

Show 1 - Friday Evening (MOVE IT!)

I arrive a half hour early to set up for a small stage show for an audience of about 50 spectators sitting at 60 inch round tables on a gym floor. As I am setting up I see that caterers are placing food warmers and drinks out on the stage in front of me and I'm thinking to myself...."What in the heck is going on here? Surely those aren't staying there."

The guy who hired me comes out from backstage and proceeds to tell me, "Feel free to go do your magic out at the tables if you want." The look on my face had to be priceless. I looked at him and said, "When we talked on the phone you decided on my Stage Show, not the strolling magic/table hopping. There is a big difference and I did not bring my strolling magic." (Guess I will pack strolling as a back up from now on as well.)

He says, "Well...there are going to be people coming up to the stage the entire time getting food, condiments, and drinks so people will be walking in front of your show." By this time I'm getting angry and he walks away, but I kept my composure. I kindly go up to the 2 caterers and tell them that I have been hired to do a Stage Show and it's not going to work with everything up on the stage and people coming up blocking seated spectators views. I asked them if we could set up some additional tables off to the side of the gym and relocate the food/beverages. The lady looked ticked, but understood my point. I told her I would gladly jump in and help so that it was a win win for both of us.

Needless to say, 10 minutes prior to my show I was carrying trays of drinks over to 2 tables that I personally set up off to the side.

Lesson: Don't be afraid to take control to make your show a success. However, you don't need to be arrogant about it. Just kindly explain what needs to happen and tell them you'll help.

Show 2 - Saturday Afternoon (WHOA....CRAPPY DAY)

I am about to leave my house to go do a show at a University. Now, yes, I clearly get nervous just like most of you before a big show; however this was different. It was 10:30 AM and the show was at 2:00 PM. It's a 2 hour drive to the gig.

I'm dressed in my suit about to go pick up my friend who is also performing that day. I noticed that I am pale white and sweating and don't feel good. Yep, flu bug/nerves are setting in. I literally about soiled my pants on way out door. I'm not sure if I had bad food the night before, or flu or what, but it was God awful. I was already running late and had to get moving, yet scared to death I was going to have an accident.

I jump in car and hurry to my friend's. As we are traveling on the highway he sees I'm uncomfortable and asks what's wrong. I tell him I've literally been sitting on the toilet for the past half hour and don't feel good. 20 minutes on the road and I feel it coming again yet there is nowhere to pull off to at all. I'm clenching the cheeks together and scared to death :)
I'm sure some of you have had a similar scenario...if not...you will at some point. (Jon Armstrong talks about crapping his pants at a gig and having to go off stage once.)

We make it another 10 minutes and make it to a Dollar General. I go running in and take care of business. Sat in there for 10 minutes. Come out and grab two different Anti Diarrhea meds and start popping two of them.

1/2 hour later have to pull over again. Ugh...at this point I'm thinking "What if I am up in front of everyone during my show and crap my pants and it literally runs down my leg and on floor?" I'm being dead serious guys. Pop two more tabs. I'm the most nervous I've ever been because there are going to be about 20 people there that know me personally and have been waiting to see my show.

Get to venue and start setting up. Pop two more tabs of meds. By showtime at 2:00 I think I'm going to be okay. Whew....close call fellas.

Lesson: Always have some meds in car for emergency situations and possibly a spare set of clothes. You never know what can and will happen.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results