Exposure P:C

Sep 1, 2007
Sorry Wayne for the pun. Hope you don't mind.

The P:C is for Pros and Cons. Many, many, many many many many many, many magicians complain about exposure. This thread will look at the issue, but I feel in a different way.

First, about stopping exposure. While I'm as much for this as anybody, I'm also a realist.

It is my belief that exposure will never stop. Yes, the internet has made it worse, with some sites in particular. But realistically? When there is a will, there is a way. YouTube simply has too much material to run through to cull out exposure. Other sites can simply change their domain name. All of these petitions and such may mean well, but they can't change much. If YouTube moderated incoming videos, they would still have a huge backlog, both of old videos and new ones. And individual sites are nearly impossible to stop, because you have to go to the ISPs, who tend to not take responsibility for the content.

But on the bright side, exposure is actually beneficial to our art. If exposure was not the problem it is, many effects would not be in existence, and the art would not be moving ahead in the leaps and bound that it is.

Think of it as the war between cryptographers and analysts. As soon as one cipher is cracked, a new one must be created. When that one is cracked, another springs up. And eventually, when some ciphers are so old that nobody remembers them, they can be used every now and then to blindside the analysts.

And who is to say that exposure is any different than, say, posting music on the internet? Guitar tabs, concerto scores, the principle is similar to be sure.

That's all I have right now. I know this will be a hot topic, so debate away.

Catch you on the flipside!

Tim

Yeah I agree, it can't be stopped but, we can try and influence people to stop doing it. All my videos I make are either my tricks bein revealed or performing. If someone wants to reveal stuff illegally that's their call but we should try and tell them why they're doing wrong, or actually penalize them. How many of these offenders have actually been charged with the crime they're doing? I'm speaking of the people on Putfile and Megaupload.

-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
It's the same as being told not to push the big, red button. You're gonna push it.

If magicians stopped complaining about exposure publically, it wouldn't be so much of an issue.

In fact, it's not really much of an issue now. I perform magic all the time for people and not one of them has decided to go online and find out how the effect is done.

You should present your magic in such a way that it is not a puzzle for the spectator to work out, it should entertain them.

Sep 1, 2007
Yep, exposure will never go away. But, it makes me sick when I see some kid do sinful, and he has no idea what he is doing. I just sat in my room for an hour and a half, and did the same trick over and over again. If it ended up on youtube, I would be ticked. I have not really been doing magic for that long, 6 months or so. A long time, but not as long as a lot of other people here.

People make a big deal out of it because They practice an effect that takes loads of time, and then it ends up on youtube as a tutorial and the kid cant even do it. Its not like it only happens every ounce in a wile, its like all the time.

I don't want to sit around and do nothing, this crap needs to end. And we can all help if we rated the thing 1 star, and said "thats not the way you do it" and we all made videos of how to do the tricks, but we did them the wrong way. And then we gave 5 stars to ours. It's sort of like a psi ops operation. But no one wants to band together and do anything, they just want to complain. I see this as a war, and right now we are losing big time, and the artists are losing money, and there thinking twice before they release a trick.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results