Failing a trick.

Feb 18, 2011
Under your bed
Hi guys,
I've just started a new school, and finally got a chance to perform for people regularly, which I'm soo happy about because I get some insane reactions to simple tricks like William Tell, Autocatch, Biddle Trick etc.

I've performed like 10-15 times so far, but today for the first time, I failed...

I was on the bus home, and someone said show me a trick.. I was just about to go into a nice sandwich effect, and used Ed Marlo's 'Tilt' to control the card.. I think I got too lazy and this guy sitting on my right saw what I did and totally exposed me to the other 4 people that were watching... And I had no idea what to say!! I was like frozen and it was sooo awkward!

So my question is how do you guys deal with it when you 'fail' a trick... Or do you fail at all?

Thanks =)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
When you perform all of the time (which you should be) it is bound to happen. Even to the best of us. I can't even count how many times I've failed a trick in my first few years. It happens! Get over it and keep on performing. I saw a professional mess up Professor's Nightmare at a convention in front of a few hundred people...he just stood there and laughed at himself and then went on to the next effect.

More importantly you've learned something now. Watch your angles on your tilt and I bet you don't do it again. Ha Ha.

Feb 18, 2011
Under your bed
Thanks a lot =) I'll just get over it, and probably not perform to him much again =P

You're right about me learning to watch my angles.. I guess the experience is good in that way..
It's actually funny because I did tilt that same morning, and it worked great standing up.. So I think i'll do it from a bigger distance now, and not have anyone to my left or right :)

yea! I have been into magic for around 4 years now. I still mess up some times and when I do i say here let me show you something else and ignore that it even happened. If you perform the next effect perfectly they will forget and not even care. We are only human. I have performed and messed up 2 tricks in a row! I didn't flash any methods but I either lost the card or the spectator got confused and they both sucked! but i lived! and you will too Keep performing and I have heard school isnt the best place to perform but I dont know take care!

When I mess up, and someone notices, I will usually laugh at myself and say ''You're right! Let's see if this different trick will work!''

That way both the spec and myself will feel fine after I say my line, and I have a chance to redeem myself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results