False Shuffles

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know a large number of them, but I have always preferred Zarrow. Can be done quickly, and the sleight - done correctly - looks no different from squaring the deck the normal way.

Best,
Vince

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Zarrow all the way. I consider myself a move monkey, and nothing comes close to being as undetectable as a good in the hands Zarrow. And while false cuts are good, I feel like aside from up the ladder or something simple like a false swing cut, they just complicate things too much. People aren't used to seeing strange cuts, and it instantly castes doubt on what your doing. The only reason I think that up the ladder isn't disqualified for fanciness, is because it is quite simply one of the most beautiful illusions I've ever seen with cards. Spectators may not be accustomed to it, but it leaves zero doubt in their minds that the cards have been fairly shuffled.

Feb 10, 2013
I would go with the zarrow. As far as false cuts, I never really use them. Magic is when you do the moves secretly to control the card somewhere. Cuts and shuffles make it seem like you are controlling the card where you want it.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The only reason I think that up the ladder isn't disqualified for fanciness, is because it is quite simply one of the most beautiful illusions I've ever seen with cards. Spectators may not be accustomed to it, but it leaves zero doubt in their minds that the cards have been fairly shuffled.

Oh I love that shuffle. Tossing in a quick one amidst other shuffles and whatnot is a great addition - and it's very easy to learn.

As far as false cuts, I never really use them. Magic is when you do the moves secretly to control the card somewhere. Cuts and shuffles make it seem like you are controlling the card where you want it.

True - which is why it's also great to throw in a bit where you let the spectator cut or shuffle the deck, or introduce any sort of variable like that which cements in the spectator's mind that you really don't have control over the deck.

Best,
Vince

May 9, 2012
New York
i've never really liked the zarrow. i think it requires too much speed and cover to really look clean. whereas with the push through, they can watch the cards actually mix together

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I prefer a push through with an up the ladder cut. As far as cuts go I use heap snatch by the Buck twins often enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 5, 2008
UK
Up The Ladder should not be used as a false cut. Its a convincer. not a cut. I like simple false cuts 2-3 step ones. Timing is the key.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results