Fan Control - Joel Paschall

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Fan Control by Joel Paschall

The Official Spam-

This is a simple, effective, and powerful control that happens under the fairest possible conditions. You hand the deck of cards to a volunteer and ask them to remove any card they wish. You fan the deck, and they replace their card anywhere they want. You hand the deck to them and allow them to shuffle the cards.

Under these challenging conditions, you are instantly able to find their freely selected card and control it to wherever you need it. No gimmicks, no palming, no set-up, and yes - this can be done with a borrowed deck.

The Story-

Well, one week ago I bought Joel Paschall's "Believe", and I was instantly a fan of Joel's work. A little birdie flew down one day and told me to watch out for a Joel Paschall 1on1 this Friday, and I was instantly pumped up and ready for today to come (besides school getting out, this was the only thing interesting I had going on today!). So, as soon as I could, I got on and bought it.

The Video-

As we have come to expect from theory11, the video is top notch. Great editing, crystal clear filming, awesome music... these 1on1s/ DVD Downloads are the greatest downloads I've ever gotten... quality-wise in the actual video, and quality-wise in the effects and teaching. Great job!

The Teaching/Teacher-

As usual, Joel is a great teacher, and seems like a very down to Earth and cool guy. He throws a little humor in, but nonetheless seems like a bit of a jerk. ;) I'm really liking your work so far Joel... I hope you're a regular contributing artist to the site!

The Dirty Work-

Unfortunately, because the deck of cards I have on hand is crap, it's a little difficult for me to practice this, because the deck is hard to fan. However, this seems extremely easy, and I have done something like this before, just not with Joel's "added touch". I really like it, and it is very easy, and is just as clean as it looks in the demo video.

Difficulty-

This kind of goes hand in hand with "The Dirty Work", and like I said up there... this is extremely easy if you know even anything about card magic. You don't even need to keep a break! It's that easy!

Gimmicks?

Does this use gimmicks? Definitely not! This can be done with any deck, any where, any time.

Angles-

This does not have any angle problems at all. You could use this control with people on your left, people on your right, front, back... you could even do it completely surrounded!

My Rating of Awesomeness-
As a stand alone "effect", this won't do any good. But use it just as a control to an effect, and it will add a lot to said effect. It gives it a cleaner look, more fair, and like Joel said, "Instills trust in your spectators by letting them handle the cards." So, this effect totally gets the Seal of Awesomeness, and a 9/10 rating (sorry, but nothing's perfect).

Performance Story 1:

Well, I always "test run" my new effects on my Step-Mom first, and base my presentation/handlings on what she says about it. This, along with Believe and Five Speed, was one of the first things in a long time that actually fooled her. Now, just so she'll "judge me" as a magician, I've told her the basic sleights, such as DL, Double Undercut, etc. This still fooled the heck out of her, as well as Five Speed and Believe. Granted, I'll probably never use this as a stand alone effect, rather as a control for another effect, but the fact that it can stand alone if need be is great.

Great job Joel! I hope that the next 1on1 is from you, and is equally as good as the things you have put out so far!.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilTheMagician

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
So, this effect totally gets the Seal of Awesomeness, and a 9/10 rating (sorry, but nothing's perfect).

You must not have Five Speed then.....that is by far the bestest, most awesomest trick ever. It completely blows everyone away. :) (my handling at least)

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Yes, I have Five Speed. Yes, it kills. No, it's not perfect. No magic effect is perfect. Five Speed leaves you dirty.

PhilTheMagician

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Yes it leaves you dirty....but I have "cleaned up" in the time it takes the spectator to return their card to the deck.

I have performed this effect a good 20+ times this weekend so far, and it's completely floored EVERYONE who has seen it....and I always end clean...I have even handed the deck out to the spectator to examine.

Aug 31, 2007
I hate you drew. Hate YOu.

once again your fantastic freaking review makes me want to buy this when you know, you KNOW that i am trying to save my money.

Shame on you. Shame.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results