Faro Shuffle

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
I've always had a knack for the Faro i can't explain why, i learned it in a book; i think it was Encyclopedia of Magic tricks or something like that, not a great book, but i went with it. it didn't call it the Faro i just went from the picture and tried to get the cards to alternate, i didn't go for a perfect 26/26 or 27/27 i actually went for one off so it would be easier to do a super fan. (which i discovered on my own by happenstance [love that word]) and the Tabled faro came to me... easier than i assume it comes to most. i'm not perfect and get the faro every time, but i've got it close.

but i've never really known any cool uses for it outside of hand stacking techniques and a super fan. and the material on Allan Ackermans Advanced Card Control Series Vol 6. (which is a little weak on actual tricks, does contain a few fantastic ones though, wont lie)

but theres my question, what are some resources where i can learn some sweet applications of this shuffle i've got down, but never used to its full potential?

EDIT: i'm looking for effects that use the mathematical principles behind the Faro. or the Physical properties.

an Example of both would be Mathematical principles would be the Ed Marlo Matching Routine. and physical properties would be Effects like The Gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 10, 2010
I've always had a knack for the Faro i can't explain why, i learned it in a book; i think it was Encyclopedia of Magic tricks or something like that, not a great book, but i went with it. it didn't call it the Faro i just went from the picture and tried to get the cards to alternate, i didn't go for a perfect 26/26 or 27/27 i actually went for one off so it would be easier to do a super fan. (which i discovered on my own by happenstance [love that word]) and the Tabled faro came to me... easier than i assume it comes to most. i'm not perfect and get the faro every time, but i've got it close.

but i've never really known any cool uses for it outside of hand stacking techniques and a super fan. and the material on Allan Ackermans Advanced Card Control Series Vol 6. (which is a little weak on actual tricks, does contain a few fantastic ones though, wont lie)

but theres my question, what are some resources where i can learn some sweet applications of this shuffle i've got down, but never used to its full potential?

FFF, known as the Filipino False Faro.. Homer Liwag teaches it here @ t11 available in downloadable format. It looks pretty useful if you can do a perfect faro, you can even cascade the cards one-handed, from the looks of things.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
FFF, known as the Filipino False Faro.. Homer Liwag teaches it here @ t11 available in downloadable format. It looks pretty useful if you can do a perfect faro, you can even cascade the cards one-handed, from the looks of things.

thanks but i was really looking for some effects that use the move. sorry if i wasn't clear. i'll add that to my OP

Sep 1, 2007
Theres a cool little thing in Richard's Collected Almanac by Gary Goldberg called FIRP. Its pretty badass.

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
Just a few

There are countless applications with the faro either in the hands or table and im glad to hear that the faro comes naturally to you.

The first place I would recomemend is Ed Marlos RCT. The faro chapter in the book is very indepth. Faro Calculators, Faro foolers etc. Just an endless resource on the faro. If you dont want the book you can buy the faro chapter by itself. Its a great read.

Martin Nash on both the Land L and Yedid dvds has works with the faro shuffle moslty controlling a slug. He also has other applications with his Infinaty card.

Richard Turner has some nice applications with the faro. If you see any of his lectures such as 35 Years of Cheating Fighting and Fun, his false shuffle dvd, or any of his Magic Caslte perfomances he uses the faro a lot.

John Bannon has a few applications with the faro which dosent have to be perfect by the way.

Darwins One handed poker is a very strong effect.

The faro shuffle has tons of applications that most dont realize IMO. The applications are only limited to the workers imagination.

Kind Regards,

Mike

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
The fact that Alex Elmsley hasn't been mentioned yet is pretty mind blowing.

Vol II of his Collected Works has some seriously incredible tricks. Direct Link comes to find, as does Brainweave and plenty of others.

He invented the terms "in" and "out" faro so he must know his stuff :)

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
The fact that Alex Elmsley hasn't been mentioned yet is pretty mind blowing.

Vol II of his Collected Works has some seriously incredible tricks. Direct Link comes to find, as does Brainweave and plenty of others.

He invented the terms "in" and "out" faro so he must know his stuff :)

I do admit that Alex Elmsley slip my mind but because I must admit I really dont know all his work yet. I have a lot of readings and dvds to go through and im not trying to spread my self too thin.

But on the other hand there is on effect that Alex Elmsley had that is really powerful and when I first saw it blew my mind. On The Tahoe Sessions he has an effect called Color Changing Faro. If I remember correctly if off of vol 3. I havent got around to it yet.

Kind Regards,

Mike

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
Yes his Colour Changing Faro Shuffle is just one example of his genius. You should do yourself a favour and start looking into him now! You won't regret it ;)

Not sure if you already know this or not or if it is at all applicable. But if you start with a deck in newdeck order, after procceding with 8 consecutive perfect farro shuffles, it will return the deck to newdeck order. A little challange and something, if you can get down, will blow your audience away.

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
Yes his Colour Changing Faro Shuffle is just one example of his genius. You should do yourself a favour and start looking into him now! You won't regret it ;)

I have been looking into him for a while right now. The only reason I havent been through his works is because I have been all over the place with books and dvds. Alex has a lot of effects that are worth the time looking into with the faro. The man is awsome with the faro. Not only that he is great to watch with any of his effects. alex is ra must for any card fan.

side note: Most here knows that 8 perfect faros will restore a new deck order. When you are trying to do it as a table faro the difficulty increases for some. Marlo has a great effect where a new deck order in 5 faros. This is also in his RCT

Kind Regards
]
Mike

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Not sure if you already know this or not or if it is at all applicable. But if you start with a deck in newdeck order, after procceding with 8 consecutive perfect farro shuffles, it will return the deck to newdeck order. A little challange and something, if you can get down, will blow your audience away.

Tamariz has a routine where, throught it all, he does tricks that don't alter the order of the deck, and over the whole 10 or so minutes of the routines he faros 8 times. The climax is a new deck order.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
The first place I would recomemend is Ed Marlos RCT. The faro chapter in the book is very indepth. Faro Calculators, Faro foolers etc. Just an endless resource on the faro. If you dont want the book you can buy the faro chapter by itself. Its a great read.

where could i buy just the one chapter? i'm struggling to find it

Tamariz has a routine where, throught it all, he does tricks that don't alter the order of the deck, and over the whole 10 or so minutes of the routines he faros 8 times. The climax is a new deck order.

Whats the name of that routine? and if its released where could i find it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Whats the name of that routine? and if its released where could i find it?

The routine is named "The Rite of Initiation", on page 169 of his book Mnemonica, one of his books that is actually easy to find. While the book's main focus the stacked deck, there are a few ideas on faros and anti-faros (not the flourish) included that.

If you're not currently using a stack, I'd recommend you get the book.

May 2, 2010
New York, New York

Well I would strongly suggest buying the entire book. The whole book is a gem IMO. The faro chapter, Seconds, centers and Bottoms chapter, shifts, palms peeks. Just a wealth of info.

Now if you still dont want the whole book, try looking on ebay for the chapter. I have seen them on there going for like 10 dollars.

Pm me if your still having trouble. I still recommend the entire book.

Kind Regards,

Mike

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois

Well I would strongly suggest buying the entire book. The whole book is a gem IMO. The faro chapter, Seconds, centers and Bottoms chapter, shifts, palms peeks. Just a wealth of info.

Now if you still dont want the whole book, try looking on ebay for the chapter. I have seen them on there going for like 10 dollars.

Pm me if your still having trouble. I still recommend the entire book.

Kind Regards,

Mike

I'll have go for it. i've heard too many good things to leave that book be.

The routine is named "The Rite of Initiation", on page 169 of his book Mnemonica, one of his books that is actually easy to find. While the book's main focus the stacked deck, there are a few ideas on faros and anti-faros (not the flourish) included that.

If you're not currently using a stack, I'd recommend you get the book.

i use the stay stack, only in one routine, sadly. but its not really a memorized stack. its more of a priniciple. but I've always wanted to learn a stack.

so my next few orders will go something like this

Alex Elmsly tahoe sessions 1-4

Ed Marlo RCT

Juan Tamariz Mnemonica

sounds like a whole lot of fun. Thanks Guys! keep the suggestions coming!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results