Favorite Impromptu Effect

Feb 5, 2010
Im talking about when someone asks you to do a trick and you never planned on doing one that day?

It just happened to me today. i did one where i took a rubberband but it on my finger and made it go through my finger. the rubber band is not broken and and the rubber band can be expected before and after the effect.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
with deck of cards, triumph routines of whatever I feel like that day.
with coins, muscle pass and simple vanishes.

if I happen to have any props, I'll go with those too.

May 3, 2008
I have the 4 queens in my wallet ready to psychologically force. With my phone, I can tell the name of a person that they're thinking of from my contact list.

Nov 8, 2007
The (totally) impromptu effect I probably perform the most is Ring Thing by Garrett Thomas. It's quick, visual, and very magical looking. That's been a worker for me for years now. Always gets a great reaction.

May 31, 2008
Think of a two-digit number from one to fifty, both digits must be odd and different. Scroll down, then highlight the black font.

Works every time. (ok not every time, if it fails blow it off as a joke and perform a French Drop routine)

Sep 3, 2007
I picked 33. Sorry to disappoint you.

Can we do without the grey area aka a huge post that has nothing in it?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Isn't 37 Marc Oberon's effect? I own it and it hits on 37 about 75% of the time but there are other "outs" to hit the other numbers. It was a cool little effect for $10.

As far as impromptu I also use Ring Thing from Garrett Thomas, rubber band magic if I have them on my wrist of Biddle if someone tosses me a deck.

Jul 13, 2009
A nice impromptu effects I do depending on the situation:

Borrowed deck

Can't beat a triumph or an OOTW Well maybe ACAAN.

Borrowed coins
In hands coins across is wonderful to do, you can find one in bobos
Coins through table, I like the sankey version taught on Revolutionary

Objects that I may have on my person
I think I am one of the rare ones to still carry around paper matches, I always have one match burned in the book of matches for the burned match flight. I forget the creator of it but I believe it is in Mark Wilson's book.

I have been doing simple cigarette manipulation as of late. Dissolving cigarette anyone?

DON'T SMOKE KIDS! Or if you do smoke go buy a pack of marlboro reds and smoke the entire pack in one sitting, it is fun and a right of initiation.

Feb 5, 2010
if you had a borrowed deck Fallen is always a good trick.

or a borrowed coin
maybe bullet or sinful. or a classic coin from the ear trick. lol.

May 31, 2008
You could do away with the gray area. Most people will pick a number before they scroll down 10 pages.

When you look at text, right before your eyes focus on the first line, you see other words, if people see the 37, then it's all over.

Isn't 37 Marc Oberon's effect? I own it and it hits on 37 about 75% of the time but there are other "outs" to hit the other numbers. It was a cool little effect for $10.

I just use the "classic" 37 effect, I learned it back when I was just starting magic.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Keokesilverfang, I carry paper matches, too. So much you can do with them. The classic Skinner Matches effect is great. (Similar to the one you were talking about, except no prep. Same principle, you just burn all the exposed ones & close it up.)

I also have my wallet, which happens to have some blank billets, which happen to get Osterlind Center Tear'd a lot. And of course, a mini pencil.

It's common for me to have a bic or plastic pen in my pocket, in which case good 'ol Recapped will never let you down.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
stealth pen

stripper deck

some weird transpo.

synchronized specs routine.

soft spot routine.

almost everything i do is impromptu. the stealth pen and synch. spec. routine require a minimal setup. one i could practically do in their faces without gettnig caught.

Jan 16, 2008
I will make my ring finger disappear by bending my joints at a weird angle. I have no idea what's the name of the trick. Never ceases to get:
1) a laugh
2) a gasp
3) both

Then they REALLy gasp when I do it on THEIR ring finger. They don't know what hit them.

Feb 26, 2010
I really like Michael Vincent's spelling trick Its called intuitive speller, really great to do with a shuffled packed.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results