Favorite Magic/Cheating Scenes in Movies/Books

Nov 3, 2018
Quick note: I already posted this thread on the Magic Forum, but only later realized that it would probably fit better here. Moderators, please feel free to delete the thread posted in the wrong section. Thank you for your hard work!

---

Hi guys,
A few days ago there was a thread about your favorite magic movie. I'd like to be a little more specific: What's your favorite magic/card cheating (or any other form of cheating at games, for that matter) scene in a non-magic movie or book?

Though I don't know many such scenes my favorite is probably from Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel "Witches Abroad". In this scene a friend of the witch Granny Weatherwax* gets hustled out of all of her belongings in a game of cards, so Granny takes it upon herself to teach the hustlers a lesson. What I like most about this scene is that Terry Pratchett seems to have actually done some research. It might be little more than superficial, but it makes this scene, which isn't longer than a few pages, so much better; among the cheating methods he mentions are bottom dealing, marked cards and even a device which seems to be similar to the Keplinger Holdout.

So what do you think? Which magic scenes or little details did you enjoy most in a non-magic book or movie?

*The best short description of this character: "Granny walked the bandit infested woods in the certain knowledge that the dark held nothing more terrible than herself."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results