Fear of Performance

Should new students of magic post what they learn to social media?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 21, 2016
Murrieta, CA
Hello friends!

Danny here. I've been studying magic since of last year August time. It took some time, but I learned what genre of magic works for me, as you have all endured I'm sure. I've decided to focus on pickpocket magic. That being a pickpocket that uses magic in his routines. Versus a magician that uses pickpocketing in his routines. I've decided to treat this as a college course and have studied for 4 years until I audition to become a member of the magic castle. (It's my dream) Meanwhile I have a terrible fear of posting anything on social media! I feel as though as a student I shouldn't post anything. What are your thoughts? The other difficult portion is that I have no friends or mentors in magic (other than the items I purchase or learn online). So how am I to ensure that what I'm doing is correct?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hello friends!

Danny here. I've been studying magic since of last year August time. It took some time, but I learned what genre of magic works for me, as you have all endured I'm sure. I've decided to focus on pickpocket magic. That being a pickpocket that uses magic in his routines. Versus a magician that uses pickpocketing in his routines. I've decided to treat this as a college course and have studied for 4 years until I audition to become a member of the magic castle. (It's my dream) Meanwhile I have a terrible fear of posting anything on social media! I feel as though as a student I shouldn't post anything. What are your thoughts? The other difficult portion is that I have no friends or mentors in magic (other than the items I purchase or learn online). So how am I to ensure that what I'm doing is correct?

Wait I'm confused. You said you started studying magic about 10 months ago, but have studied for 4 years?

Anyways, you shouldn't limit yourself. Yes, focus on what you want to focus on, but make sure you get a well rounded experience in magic so you truly know what to go for - you may want to change later, or develop a much more rounded show. Especially when you are starting out. Your next step is to buy some magic books. They are chocked full of information and technique. AS for finding magic friends, join our little community here on the forums! We'd love to here anyone perspective on our topics, and we'll be happy to help you.

What kind of stuff do you want to post? It truly depends on the material.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Basically a video is a mini-show, that people can watch over and over, and even slow down. So if your video will enhance your reputation as a performer, under those conditions, then feel free to post it.

Otherwise, don't.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I see both sides of the fence here for sure. Originally I was against new students post material on social media due to it not being ready for release/presentation and causing exposure and potential embarrassment; however I am lucky enough to be a member of a local ring and have about 20 magicians I can jam and session with. This is what takes my magic to the next level and develops my skills. For someone who may not have access to the resources I do, yes, I do see how sharing your magic with others via social media might be the only method for you to grow and learn/study. I would advise of just sending your performances to a few people privately and not just posting on Youtube or Facebook for all to just see what you are "working" on so to speak.

Jul 26, 2016
I think d_Illusionist meant that he was going to treat pickpocketing like a college course and thus wait for 4 years (practicing and preparing during that time) until he auditions for and hopefully fulfills his dream of becoming a member of the Magic Castle. My advice would be (1) follow your dream; work hard, believe in yourself and don't let anyone or anything deter you from it; and (2) I would not post what you are doing on social media until if and when you are super smooth at what you are trying to do; once that happens, then social media can be an excellent vehicle to becoming well-known and admired, and to getting work in the field you have chosen.

I see both sides of the fence here for sure. Originally I was against new students post material on social media due to it not being ready for release/presentation and causing exposure and potential embarrassment; however I am lucky enough to be a member of a local ring and have about 20 magicians I can jam and session with. This is what takes my magic to the next level and develops my skills. For someone who may not have access to the resources I do, yes, I do see how sharing your magic with others via social media might be the only method for you to grow and learn/study. I would advise of just sending your performances to a few people privately and not just posting on Youtube or Facebook for all to just see what you are "working" on so to speak.

Hi Rick. Great post. I live in the Hollywood area and would love nothing more than to find a group of like-minded and ambitious magicians to jam with. Any suggestions on where to look to find an already established group or where to spend my resources trying to put a new one together? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks again.
Matthew K.

Reactions: RickEverhart

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hi Rick. Great post. I live in the Hollywood area and would love nothing more than to find a group of like-minded and ambitious magicians to jam with. Any suggestions on where to look to find an already established group or where to spend my resources trying to put a new one together? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks again.
Matthew K.

Hi Matthew. If you cannot find any local rings/clubs you can definitely put one together by finding like minded individuals near or around your area. I would check the IBM website to see what all it takes to begin a new IBM charter. Typically you have a meeting night and time which is the same each month. It is ran like a normal business meeting with Treasurer report, old minutes, new business, etc. Basically following Roberts Rules of Order. There is normally a club photographer, librarian and such but that is after you get numerous members involved. There are generally club dues to be paid by the members. Sometimes the business portion is over and done with in 15 minutes and then on to the magic. We typically then go out to eat or for beers afterwards and just enjoy time together. We also bring in lecturers and go on field trips and such.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results