Fighting exposure

Jun 9, 2016
I came across a channel of a french "magican" that made actual tutorials on how to construct and use gimmicks like Little door, Hover card, Symbolized and many more tricks. They were not exposing videos, they were long videos explaining how to construct those gimmicks by yourself. So I thought of reporting this (to the creatores) but I realized that they can not do anything, they have no legal way of stoping him.

This is not the first time I see a youtuber doing this. They (and their supporters) have this narrow thinking that centers around money; they simply want to gain (or save) money. And they try to make themselves feel as though they were defenders of freedom (and free stuff) which is the mentality of piracy in general. They also try to dismiss any critism as hatred, and use sentences like "rise above the haters" which is the official slogan of narrow minded people that can't have a proper conversation, because they don't have anything to defend their stance.

I don't think those people have any major effect on magic, just like magic piracy, but unlike magic piracy which can be reported and dealt with to some extent (I think there is even a place for that on the forums) youtubers are ,as far as I know, a problem that can be fought in only one way, that is convincing people that it's wrong, and that before anyone decides to act arrogantly and convince themselves that this is OK they should think objectively and put themselves in the shoes of the creators.

I'd like to hear any thoughts on this subject. Maybe some of you have a different point of view?

Reactions: SethD1
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I would love for magic to be able to be protected by copy right. However, the legal issues of this are so in depth that I can't even explain it.

This isn't so much exposure as it is stealing. You can actually report it to the creators, who might be able to do something. For example, Shin Lim had a DVD that was pirated and released on YouTube, however, since he stated that no one can perform the effect on public tv, Youtube, etc, without his permission, so he was able to have it taken down

As for the actual stealing, there is a good chance very few people run across it. As for the videos that actually end up getting a ton of views, that sucks, but they are normally so poorly taught and made that no one actually makes and performs them.

As for us personally, it shouldn't actually hurt us if we perform it well. If everyone makes their style, performance, etc. unique & well created, then there should be no physical way anyone actually recognizes the trick outside of magicians.

Reactions: SethD1
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results