Filming Magic - Again!

So I haven't posted a thread on Filming Magic in a while! So I decided that today, on this boring Sunday would be the day! :)

Now that I am close to wrapping principal photography on my short film, some things have crossed my path while shooting that I thought could work great in filming magic and give your film a little more stylistic effect. I'm going to go over a few of the basics in cinematography to add a little subtle flare to play on the viewer's subconscious. Keep in mind that this is made to be used for live performances.

The people watching your videos are part of your audience too, so you can't forget about them. Now we don't want you to focus on your camera during filming, but there are things that your videographer/cameraman can do to enhance the video.

In film, angles are used to create different moods just like lighting is. The moods range from showing the character in a vulnerable or powerful position, to distant from the audience and closer with other characters. All of these techniques can be applied to your magic, depending on your patter. I'm not going to delve into patter because there are plenty of other threads on patter that you can learn from. The great thing about using these techniques is that you will not have to worry about the camera, that will be the cameraman's job!

Some of the most basic angle principles in film are the vulnerable and powerful angles. Many times in a film when you see the camera at a low angle looking up at the character it insinuates a position of power and strength in the character. It's almost as if he/she is towering over the audience. The same thing can be applied for positions of vulnerability when using a high angle looking down on the character. It's as if the audience is tower over the character. Audiences don't pick up on these tricks used by filmmakers right away. They are made to play on the audience's subconscious. So they are instilled deep, deep down in the audiences mind to have them understand the filmmaker's message.

Now, let's say the patter of a magicians involves him in a position of power or vulnerability, you can get your cameraman to use these tricks used by filmmakers to play on the audience's subconscious. It's not something you see used often in magic but it could add some more "flare" to your video if you try out those techniques.

Close ups are always a wonderful tool in film to show emotion in the characters. Whether it's happiness, sadness, etc. close ups can instill emotion in the audience as well. Therefore, when filming an audience reaction, close ups can only benefit the video. The same goes for the magician. If their patter involves a sad, emotional story, zoom in or move in on the performers face. It will allow for the magician to connect with the viewers of the video.

These are just a couple of tips to give your videos some extra kick to them. In this day and age people want to show their magic to the world. Therefore you should try and make it the best and do something once never thought possible, connect on an emotional level through internet video. If you have any questions on film, filming magic, editing, etc. just feel free to ask in this thread or by PM. I'm always here to help! :D

Mitch

Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
Very interesting, and thank you for taking your time to write this. You were correct, I never really thought about the effect of angles on the performance videos until reading this. It is great to read about these subtleties of magic that aren't directly involved with the magic. Thanks again, and I hope to see more from you in the future, I always enjoy what you have to say.

:)
Peace

PS: How is the Magic for Darfur going? I haven't checked the site for a while, but last time I noticed it was a bit slow. Is there anything I can do to get involved or help you out? If so, feel free to shoot me a PM or something. :)

Sep 1, 2007
Yo Mitch, out of curiosity, what college do you go to?

Also, just to add on a bit to what you were saying about camera placement, it's good to add some movement into camera work. Allow the camera to be dynamic, to let it react to the actions taking place. That doesn't mean to just zoom. In fact, it is my personal belief that zooming is the single most overused camera technique in existence. Don't zoom, track. It's better that way, I promise.

I'm sure that Dan and Dave could tell us much more, as they've nearly graduated film school.

Great thread. Film and magic have so much in common. In fact, magicians were some of the first to develop camera tricks. Just check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaaY2eQ1Lv4

Classic Georges Méliès.

Yo Mitch, out of curiosity, what college do you go to?

Also, just to add on a bit to what you were saying about camera placement, it's good to add some movement into camera work. Allow the camera to be dynamic, to let it react to the actions taking place. That doesn't mean to just zoom. In fact, it is my personal belief that zooming is the single most overused camera technique in existence. Don't zoom, track. It's better that way, I promise.

I'm sure that Dan and Dave could tell us much more, as they've nearly graduated film school.

Great thread. Film and magic have so much in common. In fact, magicians were some of the first to develop camera tricks. Just check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaaY2eQ1Lv4

Classic Georges Méliès.
Good post, but I somewhat disagree with you. Zooming isn't overused, it's not used properly. Zooming works much better in magic because you don't want to be obstructing the view of the spectators. It's a great tool and when used in the right situations can garnish wonderful effects. Just think of the Hitchcock zoom. I'm currently at John Abbott College here but I don't really learn much. I received a scholarship to the Vancouver Film School but I'm going to be applying to the Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema in February.

Filmmakers are magicians, they manipulate emotions just like magicians do.

Mitch

Sep 1, 2007
Well, hell, if we get right down to it, films are illusions in of themselves.

I actually find it quite interesting that if you look at half the profiles of the people here, film making is a hobby or interest. That's got to say something about magicians and movies.

But I guess you're right about zooming. People like David Cronenberg use it very effectively. It's just a very easy technique to make look bad.

I'm headed off to Bard College to study film.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results