Financial Stability

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Well, my first reaction is, "That's cute."

Unfortunately the most likely solution is, I'm betting, the correct one given the sounds I hear. That makes it seem not very magical.

My question to you is: Have you gotten strong reactions from the audiences for whom you've performed this trick?

Sep 4, 2010
Greg,

I seldom watch magic tricks and if I do it's of a professional and usually with cards, so my view of your trick is basically from an "informed" laymen's perspective. I hope you gain something from it.

The first phase of the routine with the coins balancing did not look like a magic trick - it looked like a stunt, however it was clear that it was not a genuine stunt and it involved some sort of gimmick because you would let the two coins together rotate sideways yet the top coin did not fall off. I imagine this is probably something easily overlooked by an amateur magician but this really killed the effect. Also, the backside of the coin was never shown which leaves me convinced it's just held there with a toothpick and something sticky.

The switch from the coin to the bill was not natural. In that starting position it would have been natural to take the coin with your fingertips, not (as it appeared to me) pinched between with your thumb and palm. Also, the positioning of the bill in your palm during the reveal was too deep. From my perspective just based on where the bill appeared from, it looked like you just had it palmed. There was no showing your hand empty for me to be able to look back and say "he couldn't have palmed anything, i saw his hand empty." These things added up leaves me convinced the bill was palmed.

$5 seems very steep to me. $1 or $2 seems more appropriate.

Anyway I hope me offering my perspective on your trick will help.

Sep 9, 2011
CA
I'm trying not to expose things. The gimmick and the coin 'talk' a few times.

I'd have to disagree with you there, I haven't had a noise problem since I changed the gimmick like year ago. I also fail to even hear a noise in the video while the gimmick is used. And lastly, even if there were a sound, it would be justified by the fact that there are 2 coins used in the effect.

Bryson G.

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
I'd have to disagree with you there, I haven't had a noise problem since I changed the gimmick like year ago. I also fail to even hear a noise in the video while the gimmick is used. And lastly, even if there were a sound, it would be justified by the fact that there are 2 coins used in the effect.
I heard it too, we're only trying to help you, arguing won't help you.
About the effect, there is a problem with something visual looking TOO good. I showed this to a layman friend and he said "It's obvious there's something behind the coins." If it were real there would be a fail or a little wobbliness, it looks too perfect, and with the coins not being able to be inspected, even some laymen will think there is some kind of apparatus. And about the change. You take the coin with the fingertips, then take it out of your palm? Is that just obviously weird to me because I'm a magician? My laymen friend caught it too. Plus the way you have to take the dollar out from your inside palm is just suspicious. The two phrases are also very unrelated, unless you can connect it with patter, which would be good to see in the trailer. As for the price, you can buy a pair of "balancing quarters" for just a few bucks more than the cost of your video. These coins are crafted and the secret is nearly invisible, and it can be done surrounded. They are also so much easier to switch out for real quarters. Overall, the effect has a lot of promise, but needs a little more work, and it isn't a very good value. But it was nice to see a good quality trailer.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008

What you fail to hear doesn't mean other people aren't hearing it. Whether it's actually the gimmick talking or not, doesn't matter, it sounds like something behind the coins holding them up. Whether that's the correct method or not, it is an explanation for the audience which has not been handled by the presentation.

Aug 31, 2007
Guys, giving constructive criticism is welcomed, and asked for by coinartist, but the the ratio of criticizing to being helpful was pretty overwhelming. It's easy to point out the flaws, and that can help, but follow it up with something that could help him out, or make it better. Never forget, WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.

Coinartist - I think the effect has potential, but yes, the two phases do seem slightly unrelated and random. As BrysonG suggested, connecting these two with patter in the trailer might help, and you can always update the trailer if you'd like in the future - simply contact our support team and they can help you out with that.

Let me give you some positives about your trailer - it was well put together. Showing your face and speaking articulately to the camera is something a lot of Wire trailers lack, and it establishes a relationship with those watching. They know who you are, rather than just a set of hands. Props to you on that.

The blooper at the end was also great - something likable that's completely separate from the magic can often help for the sales of the trick. If people like you, they are more likely to like your stuff.

I don't think the effect is bad, and I think with the proper presentation it could actually be quite good, and impressive to the spectator. Overall, for your first download, I think you did a very good job. Keep on creating, and you'll get better every time. Congrats on your first Wire download!

Aug 31, 2007
Thanks, Zach.

For anyone interested, here's a video I did in 2011 that shows one of my presentations for Financial Stability. It's an old handling of the effect and kind of a goofy video, but it's out there if you want to see an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n8bLWtA5x8

Awesome man! I think any trick, even the crappiest of the crap can be done well with decent presentation. I personally like the trick, and think that performance would be perfect for real audiences.

Also, as I said before, you have a huge upper hand already with being able to talk naturally and be well-spoken on camera - which is important especially for Wire downloads, but also for just performing in real life. So kudos to that.

Keep it up dude, I'd be excited to see more stuff from you in the future :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results