Fire In Hands

Nov 13, 2019
So I was re-watching some videos and I came across this
At 1.34 I love the vanish with fire as this is much better than the weird slow opening of your hands. I was just wondering how this was done? You could of course use one of those machines that fit in your hand and 'shoots' fire. I think they are called pyro maybe? But you could also use maybe flash paper/string. I was just wondering what people know about this, I don't really want to experiment myself in case I burn myself as I kinda need my hands to practice. Any helpful advice or explanations would help, you can shoot me a DM or reply on the thread.

Thanks for your time.
(Just to clear things up I know how the trick is done - I think its called Angle Z to whoever is interested)

Reactions: Elioconpraro

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The vanish is done using flash paper. Jay Sankey has a great video Spontaneous Combustion which talks about how to use flash paper in vanishes (and other uses) and has a lot of great effects using flash paper. It is available on Penguin for around $12.50 and available as a download from Sankey's site for around $25. It doesn't come with flash paper, so you will have to buy that separately.

As a public safety announcement, BE CAREFUL WITH FIRE.

Reactions: CWhite
Nov 13, 2019
The vanish is done using flash paper. Jay Sankey has a great video Spontaneous Combustion which talks about how to use flash paper in vanishes (and other uses) and has a lot of great effects using flash paper. It is available on Penguin for around $12.50 and available as a download from Sankey's site for around $25. It doesn't come with flash paper, so you will have to buy that separately.

As a public safety announcement, BE CAREFUL WITH FIRE.
Is their a reason its not hot? or have i literally got to recoil my hands the second I light it up? I only have some spare flash paper with bicycle backs printed on from Stick man Bob but that should do fine as I rarely perform it (don't think I have ever actually performed it)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Flash materials burn very, very hot. That's why they leave nothing behind.

If it's just setting on your skin, it will burn fast enough that it probably won't do much damage. But if you're actively holding it, or if you somehow have it pinned to your skin (I read a post about someone who put it under a ring as a hold out and accidentally lit it) you will probably get an unpleasant blister.

What I did (and this is by no means a recommendation or instruction), was take several small pieces to a safe place and light and toss them one at a time until I was very comfortable with the process.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
What I did (and this is by no means a recommendation or instruction), was take several small pieces to a safe place and light and toss them one at a time until I was very comfortable with the process.

THIS. It is a timing thing. You have to let go at the right moment. Let go too soon, it drops on something and lights it on fire. Let go too late, you've got a burn on your fingers.

Reactions: Arconik

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Oh yeah. I never ball it up. I cut rectangles and fold it lengthwise, but not tightly. You want a good amount of surface area so it has plenty of air and burns fast.

Nov 13, 2019
Thanks for all the replies, one last question then I think I'm finished, is there a certain type of flash paper best for it? Because I was searching around and there is thick, thin, pro, economy etc. I also have flash string, would that work?

Sorry for late reply I read all the responses but couldn't respond at the time then I forgot. I swear I'm not 'thread bumping'.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I prefer thin flash paper, but I'm pretty sure it's just down to personal preference.

I haven't really worked with flash string so I don't have an opinion on that.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I've always just used the basic. I suspect that other options may work better in certain circumstances. It is, as @WitchDocIsIn said, personal preference as well as the needs of the routine.

As for string, I suspect it wouldn't work in that effect because the paper can be passed off as the corner of the card. I've not used string, so I really can't comment.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results