Fire In The Hole : Diary Review, DAY 1

This is my diary review of Fire In The Hole, I will also try up a Diary review for Four today as well.

:O Excitement to the max! At about 4:20pm, my mum came in my room with a package for me! I rip it open and inside was my TnR Project DVD from Huron Low. I pop it open an inside fell out "0630".

The first DVD I pop in is FiTH. Menu loads up. Heres what you can select (-> what comes up after you click on it
*Introduction --> Intro, Advice On Learning, What is Fire In The Hole
*Performances -->Fire In The Hole, No Fire Restoration-> No Fire V1 and 2, No Cover Restoration
*Explanations --> Gaffs, Front View Explanation, Back View Explanation. (Note, there are 4 gaffs altogether, Time bombs, Basic Gaff, Advance Gaff 1, and Advance Gaff 2)
*Ideas and After thoughts
*Extras -> Trailers, Credits, Thank yous

:O excitement, but I came across my first bad point, there is no "Play All Button" So after every scene you have to keep starting and stopping. Another thing as well (this is my last bad point, I think) There are no street performances of this, except the bit we see in the trailer.

Ok, Now I have watched the DVD I can now go into a little more detail.

What you will need to perform Fire In The Hole:
A Deck of cards, A Pen, A craft/pen knife, Tape, Glue Optional: Flash Paper, Cutting Board.

Basic Gimmick:
The construction of this gimmick is extremely easy, I dont think there is anyone on the planet who cant make this. Huron doesn't go into to much detail because, well its that easy to make. Not much more I can say about it until the method of Basic FiTH. (For this one, only one spectator can sign the card on the back, and then you sign the other signature)

UPDATE: I made my first basic Gimmick today, it was easy to do, no troubles, I just need to practice doing the RSM move with this gimmick.

Advance Gimmick #1
This gimmick is slightly different from the Basic Gimmick, but again very easy to make, the reason it is different is so the effect is more convincing. The only downside to this gimmick is that it might not last as long as the basic one. But it can still be put through a few performances (It all depends on how well you look after it really, like I guess the Distortion Gimmick)
(For this one, only one spectator can sign the card on the back, and then you sign the other signature)

Advance Gimmick #2
This gimmick is (accordingly) the magician fooler one, it is pretty much exactly the same as the AG#1 but it has 3 small differences. Again, very easy to make, have I already said that? (This is the gimmick which allows 2 spectators to sign the card, and they choose which signature to cut out.)

Handling/Method

Ok, for the handling/method, on the DVD there are two ways to watch it, from the front, or from Huron's Point Of View. Each view basically goes over the same thing, but there are some things that are only said in one of the view (like small tips) and also things that you might not have been able to see. As Huron says in "Advice on Learning" it is wise to watch both views.
(Of course, the 3 different non-fire methods are included as well as the 3 fire methods, so there are 6 methods of FiTH )

Basic Handling.
The basic handling goes over the set up, going into the routine and how to do the move (Reverse Spider man). This section of how to do FiTH is the most detailed so you might be watching this a few times, even if your doing the other 2 fire methods. Yeah, basically this goes over everything to perform this effect.
There are no major sleights accept for the RSM move. At the moment I cant really do it well, but I think its cause I'm using really old cards, so I need to whip out a fresh pack. UPDATE: I spoke to a friend who also go this today and told me how he does the move, and now I can do quite easily, if any one need any help PM me.

Advance Handling #1
"This handling is more of a subtlety with a really nice convincer, rather than a change in handling". This handling is very, very nice. For this one, you actually get to see the piece being pulled out from the card. Basically, the method is exactly the same as the basic method, but with the extra bit of holding up the card and taking the piece. This handling also uses the RSM move.

Advance Handling #2
"This is the thing that fools everybody, fools all the magicians" This is the hardest handling, but it allows you to let 2 spectators sign the card and let them choose which signature they can cut out. The beginning of the trick is the same, until it gets to the signing part. Its pretty easy until just after you ask which signature they want to cut out. There is a certain move that you have to do so that they can check that the cut out piece is their's. The move can be broken down into to parts, the first is really easy and doesn't take much effort, the next part will require a small bit of mis-direction. The move isn't obvious as it is hidden under the misdirection, I highly doubt you will get caught doing the move. (Its really hard to describe this move without exposure, but before doing this method, you will need to try something out on your friends/family first).

Lets move on. Once you do this move, after that it is exactly the same as the other advance method. Not much to it besides that move up there.

Cleaning Up
As you know this effect needs a gimmick and yes you will need to clean up. The clean up is done in 3 simple moves. The Fold. The Brush. And The Ditch. (Huron doesn't call it that, but I do) Their not hard moves to do, although it will require some work, lie checking in the mirror, video camera, or how ever you check a sleight when you practice it. Anyone who owns a card gimmick will probably not have much trouble with this as Ive seen this clean up/moves in some other routines.

No Fire Method #1 (With Cover)
This is extremely easy to do, this is the easiest handling of FiTH. The only thing you will really need to practice is the clean up.
(see above). So basically its the same start as what ever method you choose to use, until it gets to the fire bit, then you do the one extremely easy move, then you do the clean up and thats it.

No Fire Method #2 (Less cover than #1)
If you can do the RSM (Reverse Spider man) then your pretty much sweet for this routine, again, same start up and same clean up.

No Fire, No Cover Method
This is what you see right at the end of the FiTH Trailer. This method uses the Advance Gimmick #2 , but there is an extremely small change to how the gimmick is made. Extremely easy is you have the stuff I said to get. So basically, go into the same start up as Advance Handling #2. So you show the piece with the spectators signature, and then very slowly fuse it to the card. How is this done? It uses the same move in the No Fire Method #1, easy. Then the clean up is slightly different from all the others, and Huron reckons its slightly harder. The change is in the Fold Move (See Clean Up), its not a big change, and you should be able to cope. After that, do the clean up as normal.

Ok, so that pretty much it from me for this review, I will keep updating the FAQs and tell you how I'm going with my practice.
I cant really give it an overall rating yet because I haven't performed it yet, but if your looking for a TnR, this is the way to go. Why? Because its so much more visual and different from all the other TnRs, it steps over that creation line. All the TnR out there look the same, but just rely on different methods.

Stay tuned for my FOUR review and 0630, plus updates on FiTH

Cheers. Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
FAQs, I shall use this post a an FAQ.

I will try my best to answer your questions, ask away.

Do you find the method to be practical?

Well the method is very clever, at the moment its hard to answer that question because I need to test it out, but I can see my self using it. To restore the card you will need the gimmick and a move, inspired by Spider Man. Ok, just seen the Advance Method 2, Hmm, the method for this is again very clever, but ther is something about it I cant explain without exposure, again, I will need to test it out.
Stay tuned and Ill update the answer.

I would get this, but I don't have enough cards to perform these kinds of tricks a lot...

This is the great thing about this effect. It uses ONE gimmicked card, which can be used over and over again. And ONE card which the spectator signs, so in total you only lose ONE card per performance (because you hand it out and let them keep it, but you dont have to) You wont be wasting decks on this effect like other TnRs.

What is the angle range like for FITH? How do the angles compare to other T&Rs out, such as Torn?
The angles are sort of like Torn, but Huron show you ways where you can be covered up to 180 degrees.

Can any card in the deck be used to make the gimmick, or does it have to be a specific one?
Im testing this out at the moment, Hurron use Red Rider Back. At the moment Im testing Rider backs and Vipers (Fan Back) at the mo. Tomorrow, Im going to be getting some other cards (like the cheap decks) and test out some of those.

Could the gimmick be made with older, worn-out cards; or does the gimmick need to be in the same condition as the card that is restored?
At the moment Im using worn out cards for the gimmick, I suppose as long as they look good it will be fine. (Like no torn edges, major colour fade) Im using an old deck of bikes that Ive had for over a year. As for it being the same condition as restored, its really the same answer as above, any way the spectator isnt going to be fussed about what cards your using and how old they are.

Do the DVDs (and yes including the tricks on "Four") does each trick or handling have a performance video?

Each effect has an in-studio performance and introduction (basicly he describes the effect, this can give you ideas for pater). Also, on FOUR each effect has extra ideas.

C

clarrus

can't believe you got your's already. Congrats you are the man.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hey man, congrats on getting it already.

On another note, would you mind updating your "review" and actually reviewing the effect, not just the DVD itself. I'd love to have your thought on FITH, FOUR, and 0630.

Thanks!

//David.Misner::

Hey man, congrats on getting it already.

On another note, would you mind updating your "review" and actually reviewing the effect, not just the DVD itself. I'd love to have your thought on FITH, FOUR, and 0630.

Thanks!

//David.Misner::

Yep, just about to get to that, Im just finishing up watching the DVD, I only got it like an hour ago, anyway, it a diary stlye, Im going to keep updating this thread right up until Ive got it master and Ive done a performance.

Four and 0630, I might not start that review till tomorrow night becuase I got work. Ok, but will keep updating this thread. And remember any questions you have, ask away.

Cheers, Tom

Aug 31, 2007
Thanks a lot for doing this Tom; I'm really looking forward to any information you can give on all of the effects on the T&R Project.

A few questions:

1) What is the angle range like for FITH? How do the angles compare to other T&Rs out, such as Torn?

2) Can any card in the deck be used to make the gimmick, or does it have to be a specific one?

3) Could the gimmick be made with older, worn-out cards; or does the gimmick need to be in the same condition as the card that is restored?

Thanks again.

Sep 1, 2007
Glad to see a postitive review! I can't wait to read about Four and 0630. Hopefully I'll be seeing for myself soon as well... :)

Sep 1, 2007
good review... it doesn't make any sense to me when people say they can't do T&R effects b/c they don't have enough cards.

if you're looking at buying an $80 dvd set, $10 for a brick of bikes isn't that much ?

C

clarrus

in the advertisement, he said something about a 3 second reload time. What does he mean by that?? Don't respond if it's leading to exposure.

Aug 31, 2007
In magic, magicians do look out for something called "re-set time", which means how fast is it before you can perform this trick again. For a trick that needs a lot of preparation, it will be a long "reset time", and some tricks may have the feature of "instant reset", which means you can do immediately after you performed it without extra preparation.

This is important especially if you're doing restaurant or walkaround gigs, because you don't have time to fiddle around with stuff.

Fire in the Hole has a 3 second reset time.

- harapan. magic!

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Oh man I wanted to be the one to write the first review, I hav equestion are you overall, happy with it, is it good, great, ok, or fantastic?

Sep 10, 2007
Just to let you know, my copy of "the T&R Project " arrived today (sat)
so those in the UK who have orded it should recieve it soon.....:)

john.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results