First Birthday Gig!

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Hey guys,

I got called on Sunday and asked if I would do some magic for a birthday party (I've been passing out business cards every chance I get.)

So, I'll be doing a 20-25 minute show, and balloon animals. The range of ages are 2 - 11 with a couple of teenagers and the parents. So hopefully my routine has something for everyone.

Here's my set.

You Can't Do as I Do (the arm trick)
Spongeballs
Mis-Made Flag
Fiber Optics
The Vanishing Bandanna

Then finish up with balloons.

What do you think? I'll HOPEFULLY have a video up of the performance, if not we'll have story time :D

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
sounds like a well thought out, age appropriate set. One idea however, have you considered switching your opener and closer?

The arm trick would be a great closer to involve everyone and then you can repeat and start applause with it by having them mimic you clapping. It closes the show kinda effectively with everyone involved and interested and leads to applause in a great way.

Plus you have a perfect chance to ditch the TT and bandanna when your prepping spongeballs (assuming you use a TT)

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Ah, jrobarts.

The Vanishing Bandanna is the effect that uses a BANANA! Haha, it's chock full of funny moments and great for laughter. Good thought on the arm trick as a closer, I like to use it as "Before I do any Magic, I need to fully stretch. Here, you guys can do the stretch with me".

Always leave them laughing :D

Thanks for the advice though. I've read through 'Seriously Silly' by David Kaye and applied his theories to each of my effects.

Sep 1, 2007
A tip i'll give you from my own experience is, I have the kid be the magician during my show, it gives you what I call a "tomato shield"
give them a wand and let them "wave" over everything as you do the effects, just to make it seem like they're in on the action.

You have less of a chance of getting heckled, and you'll make a great impression on the parents.

Have fun! And be funny.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Can't wait to hear how this went. When you get done immediately reflect your thoughts of what played out well and how you would modify anything for your next similar gig. Write it down in a journal. If something did not play out well...ask yourself "Why didn't it get the reaction I was looking for?"

Hey guys,

I got called on Sunday and asked if I would do some magic for a birthday party (I've been passing out business cards every chance I get.)

So, I'll be doing a 20-25 minute show, and balloon animals. The range of ages are 2 - 11 with a couple of teenagers and the parents. So hopefully my routine has something for everyone.

Here's my set.

You Can't Do as I Do (the arm trick)
Spongeballs
Mis-Made Flag
Fiber Optics
The Vanishing Bandanna

Then finish up with balloons.

What do you think? I'll HOPEFULLY have a video up of the performance, if not we'll have story time :D

Can't wait to hear how it goes! I have a VERY similar set list (I do everything you mentioned but the flag) and it gets great responses. I actually disagree with jrobarts about ending with the arm trick. The Vanishing Bandanna is such a strong trick that unless you do something AMAZING afterwards you won't be able to top it. The arm trick is a great opener (and one I use for older groups since I do a TT vanish for the younger ones) because you can treat it as like a magic warm up. It gets the kids interacting from the get go, and that is ALWAYS a plus for kids shows

Good luck!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results