First Card Magic Video

Dec 6, 2017
Hi everyone,

My name is Lorenzo, and I am a pianist. However, ever since the age of 12, I have also loved card magic and began learning from books, practicing during my spare time, and occasionally performing for friends and family. Now, after all these years, I finally have a little bit of time to put together my first card magic video and just wanted to share. It is not a complicated effect and was just trying to present card magic artistically. Feel free to give me any advice and comments since I am still new to this. Thank you so much!

Dec 22, 2019
Hi everyone,

My name is Lorenzo, and I am a pianist. However, ever since the age of 12, I have also loved card magic and began learning from books, practicing during my spare time, and occasionally performing for friends and family. Now, after all these years, I finally have a little bit of time to put together my first card magic video and just wanted to share. It is not a complicated effect and was just trying to present card magic artistically. Feel free to give me any advice and comments since I am still new to this. Thank you so much!

I really liked that chaotic shuffle after that the card was chosen, it’s a nice touch.
Also, great editing skills!

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Jul 26, 2016
Thank you for sharing that piece; I really enjoyed it. I am always a little reluctant to suggest any alterations or variations to another magician's routine, because the routine involves the creative and artistic choices of the magician. And particularly in this case, where the video is so artfully done, from the cinematography, the set design, and the music, to those beautiful cards and the lovely spread flourishes. But since Lorenzo has asked us for advice and comments, showing his open-mindedness and desire to improve something that is already very good, I will throw my top hat into the ring. Please understand this is just one magician's opinion and by no means am I suggesting that this would be a "better" way to present it.

My feeling is that it would add drama if the card was not face up prior to the revelation. I would be inclined to still do the chaotic shuffle, but keep the selection on the bottom, and then, when the cards are gathered up and squared, keep the backs facing the audience/camera. Then, I would proceed with an overhand shuffle, just as in the video, but bringing the selection to the top. Once the card is on top, it could be reversed using the Braue reversal. In the process of that move, the selection ends up face down on the bottom of the deck, but all the other cards are now face up. One more regular straight cut and the card is now face down in the middle of the deck - among all the other cards which are face up.

I would then spread the cards face up (slowly and elegantly, just as in the video). One card would then be seen face down in the spread. I would then do the turnover flourish/move, all the cards flip over like dominoes, face down, and the selection appears face up in the spread for the denouement.

Reactions: JoshL8
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results