First Gig Ever

Mar 27, 2010
Thursday night i will have to work at the VIP section of a club here in mi city, and im kinda nervous. I usually do magic in partys , but im not sure what tricks to do, how to approach. So any advice will be really aprecciated about magic in clubs.

In other news, i have no idea how many effects should i do. Heres a list of what i usually do

Invisible Deck
Billswitch
Raw Linkage
Stairway
Transpo
Distortion
Card to Mouth
Biddle Trick
Sitgmata (not sure if the low lights will help)
Indecent (yes, i usually carry a bag around)
French Kiss

And some of my own tricks, usually do the shapeshifter when i want to surprise someone.

So i will have my rubberband in one arm, red deck in the jacket pocket, blue deck in my pants pocket, the TT and the bag in the other jacket pocket. does is it seem like a lot?

PD: Si Luis lee esto y quiere aportar, que lo haga en español :)

May 7, 2009
ahhh... i remember asking this question about a year ago. the most important thing is connect with your audience. dont come off as the creepy guy thats gonna bore you for the next 5-10 min. make your openers quick and fun. if your old enough to use flash paper i would always start with that. even if its just a production i would start with flash. you are there to entertain, not to make their experience worse. have fun, and two pieces of advice:
1. the audience will only know if you mess up, if you let them know you messed up. where there is an in, theres an out
2. Have fun- you are being paid to do something you love

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
You got hired for a gig, and you don't know what effects you're going to perform, or even how you're going to approach people!? Do the people who hired you know this? IMO, they should.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
I strongly suggest you do French Kiss with your business cards (if you have business cards).

Do you know Crazy Man's Handcuffs? With the effects you've posted, I'd probably work it like this:

Raw Linkage
Stairway

Biddle Trick

Distortion/French Kiss *I don't know about you, but I don't like having to manage to many gaffs or gimmicks*

and end with the Invisible Deck

It really depends on if your doing walk around for tables, or doing a whole stand up show for everyone.

I would recommend against Indecent (putting everything focused on the ground in a night club..) and Stigmata (lighting).

If you can do the gig with 2 rubberbands, 2 decks, and a gaff, you'd have an easy inventory to manage.

Mar 27, 2010
You got hired for a gig, and you don't know what effects you're going to perform, or even how you're going to approach people!? Do the people who hired you know this? IMO, they should.

He totally knows ;)

I strongly suggest you do French Kiss with your business cards (if you have business cards).

Do you know Crazy Man's Handcuffs? With the effects you've posted, I'd probably work it like this:

Raw Linkage
Stairway

Biddle Trick

Distortion/French Kiss *I don't know about you, but I don't like having to manage to many gaffs or gimmicks*

and end with the Invisible Deck

It really depends on if your doing walk around for tables, or doing a whole stand up show for everyone.

I would recommend against Indecent (putting everything focused on the ground in a night club..) and Stigmata (lighting).

If you can do the gig with 2 rubberbands, 2 decks, and a gaff, you'd have an easy inventory to manage.
Im going to do walk around for tables and stand up, both of them, and i have acces to the bar so there will be plenty of places to play with indecent

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Thursday night i will have to work at the VIP section of a club here in mi city, and im kinda nervous. I usually do magic in partys , but im not sure what tricks to do, how to approach. So any advice will be really aprecciated about magic in clubs.

In other news, i have no idea how many effects should i do. Heres a list of what i usually do

Invisible Deck
Billswitch
Raw Linkage
Stairway
Transpo
Distortion
Card to Mouth
Biddle Trick
Sitgmata (not sure if the low lights will help)
Indecent (yes, i usually carry a bag around)
French Kiss

And some of my own tricks, usually do the shapeshifter when i want to surprise someone.

So i will have my rubberband in one arm, red deck in the jacket pocket, blue deck in my pants pocket, the TT and the bag in the other jacket pocket. does is it seem like a lot?

PD: Si Luis lee esto y quiere aportar, que lo haga en español :)

que onda!!
hace mucho no escribo en español...digo hablando de magia, sera un respiro!!

bueno dejame ver...
unas preguntas primeramente
quisiera saber en realidad cuanto tiempo estaras ahi?
la musica es muy alta?
vas a estar atendiendo grupos de personas? ò solo sera un solo grupo
recibiras ò pediras propina?
y una pregunta indiscreta...cuanto cobraras en Dolares?

hasta ahora lo que he leido es buen material...sin embargo stigmata no me parece buena idea por lo mismo de la luz...puedo sugerirte que en vez de stigmata uses Ashes On Arm..si lo que haces es con cartas no tendras problema...sin embargo si vas a estar de mesa en mesa ò sillones en sillones dependiendo si es tipo lounge...tendras que estar acudiendo al baño entre cada uno...para evitar esto te recomiendo hacerlo una ò 2 veces con mesas que disfrutaron la magia un poco mas, si solo sera una mesa grande, entonces no hay problemas...

respondeme las preguntas en lo que llego a mi casa...te dare mas info de acuerdo a lo que me respondas...ahorita estoy en la chamba y ya salgo en 1 min..pondre mas..lo prometo...

saludos!!!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx

don`t be so harsh...we usually start this way...I know I did..

if he is gonna start perform magic for strangers he is gonna have to start and takes risks...

and...it`s his first gig...don`t tell me you had a great first gig and you knew exactly what you were going to do and you weren`t nervous...

we are here to help him...

Mar 27, 2010
que onda!!
hace mucho no escribo en español...digo hablando de magia, sera un respiro!!

bueno dejame ver...
unas preguntas primeramente
quisiera saber en realidad cuanto tiempo estaras ahi?
la musica es muy alta?
vas a estar atendiendo grupos de personas? ò solo sera un solo grupo
recibiras ò pediras propina?
y una pregunta indiscreta...cuanto cobraras en Dolares?

hasta ahora lo que he leido es buen material...sin embargo stigmata no me parece buena idea por lo mismo de la luz...puedo sugerirte que en vez de stigmata uses Ashes On Arm..si lo que haces es con cartas no tendras problema...sin embargo si vas a estar de mesa en mesa ò sillones en sillones dependiendo si es tipo lounge...tendras que estar acudiendo al baño entre cada uno...para evitar esto te recomiendo hacerlo una ò 2 veces con mesas que disfrutaron la magia un poco mas, si solo sera una mesa grande, entonces no hay problemas...

respondeme las preguntas en lo que llego a mi casa...te dare mas info de acuerdo a lo que me respondas...ahorita estoy en la chamba y ya salgo en 1 min..pondre mas..lo prometo...

saludos!!!

La verdad es que estaré el tiempo que yo quiera y trabajare cuanto quiera, y creo que es en el VIP, llame a mi amigo que esta organizando la fiesta y no me contesto pero apenas pueda te aviso como es el lugar. Generalmente la musica no es TAAAAAAAN alta, pero si puede llegar a molestar, pero todos mis efectos son muy visuales. Voy a estar entreteniendo a la gente que se aparezca, pero no creo que haga trucos a menos de 5 personas por tiempo, dudo mucho que pida propinas (aunque la rutina del billswitch se la aprendi a david stone, que la baso en pedir propina, pero lo adapte al precio de los tragos estan muy caros asi que...) Ahora, es un amigo mio, asi que le cobre solo 20 dolares, porque me dio la libertad incluso de trabajar 1 sola hora, y piensa que tengo entrada gratis a la disco y tragos gratis, asi que salgo ganando y lo otro lo gasto en magia, ademas, es para ganar experiencia y empezar a trabajar en otros lados

Nov 8, 2007
Just walk up and--in your own words--introduce yourself and tell them that you were hired to entertain them, and then go into Invisible Deck. It's a great opener--it's designed to build drama, it's easy (so you don't have to worry about nerves getting the best of you at your most vulnerable point--the opener), it doesn't ask much on behalf of the audience, you can get several people involved (name a color, name a suit, high card or low card, name the card), and most of all it's strong and it'll get people's attention and quickly earn their respect for what you do.

Then I'd say put the cards away and say you'll come back to them and go into one or two of your non-card effects. Then end with one of your stronger card effects (now taking out a different deck via a deck switch after some good time misdirection) like Distortion or Indecent.

Hope that helps. Good luck on getting your first gig! Have fun!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
La verdad es que estaré el tiempo que yo quiera y trabajare cuanto quiera, y creo que es en el VIP, llame a mi amigo que esta organizando la fiesta y no me contesto pero apenas pueda te aviso como es el lugar. Generalmente la musica no es TAAAAAAAN alta, pero si puede llegar a molestar, pero todos mis efectos son muy visuales. Voy a estar entreteniendo a la gente que se aparezca, pero no creo que haga trucos a menos de 5 personas por tiempo, dudo mucho que pida propinas (aunque la rutina del billswitch se la aprendi a david stone, que la baso en pedir propina, pero lo adapte al precio de los tragos estan muy caros asi que...) Ahora, es un amigo mio, asi que le cobre solo 20 dolares, porque me dio la libertad incluso de trabajar 1 sola hora, y piensa que tengo entrada gratis a la disco y tragos gratis, asi que salgo ganando y lo otro lo gasto en magia, ademas, es para ganar experiencia y empezar a trabajar en otros lados

Ok....algunos puntos a considerar...

+en cuanto al tiempo, te sugeriria una hora maximo hora y media, y eso repartido entre los grupos de personas los cuales no deben durar mas de 10 min...esto es porque tanto tiempo haciendo magia puede llegar a perjudicarte...siempre tienes que dejar a la gente queriendo mas...

+en cuanto termines de hacer magia, platica con la gente y discretamente pregunta que les parecio...es tu primer evento asi que aprovecha la oportunidad para recibir criticas...despues no podras...

+en cuanto a las propinas, sino quieres pedir esta bien....pero si te la ofrecen tomala, y si te ofrecen un trago, pide cosas sin alcohol....no hay nada mas desagradable que hacer magia con aliento alcoholico...de preferencia toma una de esas laminitas para el aliento, ya que no es bueno tampoco masticar chicle durante un performance...

+lleva tarjetas de presentacion y daselas a quien te las pida...que son los que generalmente estan mas interesados...y dile a tu amigo que no diga cuanto te pago porque generalmente luego se quieren agarrar de ahi...me explico?

me agrada escribir en español de vez en cuando...pero pues trata de escribir en ingles, puede ser que alguien por aqui pueda darte mas consejos...y puede ser que alguien mas se beneficie de nuestra discusion...

saludos!!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results