First Gig Ever.

Jan 11, 2011
Hey guys. So my PE teacher has offered me a gig at a party. This is my first paid gig ever, so it goes without saying I'm pretty nervous. I've got a very basic idea of what set I want to do, but I'm still putting the set together, so I'd appreciate any help! I have four months to prepare, so learning the material isn't going to be a problem. It's going to be an almost stage magic like scenario, in that I won't be 'table hopping' or moving from one small group to the next, but rather everyone will be watching me at once, though it's at someone's house, so the proximity will still be pretty close. Th set should be half an hour long. The party is for our school soccer team, so the audience will be a bunch if teenage boys, and knowing that, th material is going to have to be visual, and I'd like to incorporate at least a few soccer themed effects, or at least effects with a soccer patter. Do you guys have any help, suggestions, or tips? Thanks so much!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
This would be parlor sized magic. Cups and balls, linking rings, torn and restored newspaper, cards across, coins across (depending on the size of the crowd you may need to do coin work on the mat to be seen)... Things that can be easily seen from 20 feet away.

Make a list of everything you know. Come up with some kind of theme. Pick out effects that actually fit the theme and arrange them in an order that makes sense. Time them. As in, perform them as if there was an audience and use a stop watch. If you want a 30 minute show, I recommend you pick out 35-40 minutes of material, with some of it being modular and able to be dropped at any time. That way if you find yourself going through it quickly, you can use some of the extra material to keep yourself on track, or if you're going slowly, you can drop the extras.

Make sure you have a mix of things that can be done totally by yourself, and some stuff that uses audience interaction. If the crowd isn't into the interaction, don't try to force it, that will only push them away.

Don't patronize your audience. Treat them as equals, not children.

That's all I can think of right now.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Just a tip, for a few bucks you can buy foosballs that look like soccer balls.

Also I would add that you can broaden your theme from soccer a bit. You could talk about teamwork (You can do an effect that has a bunch of people making decisions and has an amazing outcome). Following leadership (like the coach) using something like a 'do as I do' routine. Or talking about competition would set you up for a challenge type of routine.

Sounds like a neat event!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results