First Gig: Some Questions

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
Hey Guys,

I finally got my first paid gig besides my restaurant work. I got it over my mum. A friend of my mum makes a yearly party (this year's motto is "Fantasia"). It's a party with 4 rooms (1 dance floor, one room with fog, one room with tables and another room and a camp fire outisde) and ~150 people. It lasts from 21:00 - X. Here's how it goes:
It's not a real magic gig: I am working behind the bar for 50$ and then I do 1-2h strolling for 30$. I know this is way underpaid but it's the first way to get experience. I do the strolling prob. from 22-24. It's basically a cocktail party. My questions are:
1. How do I introduce myself in a group? It's not possible to tell everybody that a magician is hired to entertain them. I'm more the son of a friend. I already considered: "Excuse the interruption. I am Philipp, a friend of Marlene (party host) and she wanted me to entertain you guys a bit. You guys seem like a fun group because of XYZ!" What do you think of that?
2. I got my usual sets down but I wanted to try out some new routines or some old ones that I didn't perform in a while. What do you think of that? I have to leave some tricks out anyways because I ned a table for them.
3. A fancy piece of accessoire would be great. I would wear a Jeans, T-shirt and a Jacket. What kind of accessoire do you think could fit that? Maybe a fancy hat or funny shoes or something else...
4. How do you handle drunk spectators and which kind of tricks wouldnt you do for them?
5. What do you do if you're not needed because the atmosphere is great anyways?
I hope that aren't to many questions. I read many articles on these topics but I wanted to hear your opinion. I think I need to calm myself down a bit. Probably I will practice a lot before hand.
Cheers
Philipp
PS: As always thanks for your help and the age group is somewhere from 18-60.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Really great questions Philipp.

Here are my thoughts for you to take or leave:

1. "Excuse the interruption. I am Philipp, a friend of Marlene (party host) and she wanted me to entertain you guys a bit." This is great. By identifying with the host and saying something like "Marlene wanted me to come by and show you what I do" they are immediately interested. Very good. You can also start with some normal conversation -"Good evening! Welcome to the party. Are you all enjoying yourselves? Pardon the interruption..."

2. I might suggest that you just stick to your usual sets for this one. Because it's your first paid gig, you want it to go really well. Knowing your material will give you confidence and help keep nerves at bay. With 150 people, you will easily be able to travel the group for an hour without worrying about running out of material. You could do two or three sets for the whole hour.

3. This is up to you. If you don't have something unique about your dress, then simply dress for the event. If you have a style that you prefer, then do that, but don't wear something that's unnatural, awkward, or uncomfortable for you.

4. Drunk spectators can be great. Just don't challenge them or sucker them. Great tricks are ones where they think you messed up, then you "redeem" yourself. As well, effects that are flashy (like color changes) can sometimes be missed because they don't pay great attention. Also remember that they will crack a lot of jokes. Laugh with them. Join them in laughing and joking, but maintain control of the situation. Don't simply plow through your routine. Here's a video of me doing an effect for a party of people who had a little too much. They were hilarious and this is when they called me back to their table. These guys have booked me for their company Christmas party this year after seeing me at this event. (nothing special performance wise, just my routine for biddle trick: http://youtu.be/5Cs6SMXHPkI?list=UUUh610u5TWFwRmT39Lxprcw)

5. Hopefully the atmosphere is great already! That makes your job so much easier! I love performing at weddings because everyone is already happy and enjoying themselves! You add another dimension of enjoyment. Through engaging them with entertainment, you boost the fun factor to another level. It's wonderful that you are there and you will add a lot of value to the evening even if it's going great already!

All the best! When is it?
Let us know how it goes!

Hey Guys,

I finally got my first paid gig besides my restaurant work. I got it over my mum. A friend of my mum makes a yearly party (this year's motto is "Fantasia"). It's a party with 4 rooms (1 dance floor, one room with fog, one room with tables and another room and a camp fire outisde) and ~150 people. It lasts from 21:00 - X. Here's how it goes:
It's not a real magic gig: I am working behind the bar for 50$ and then I do 1-2h strolling for 30$. I know this is way underpaid but it's the first way to get experience. I do the strolling prob. from 22-24. It's basically a cocktail party. My questions are:
1. How do I introduce myself in a group? It's not possible to tell everybody that a magician is hired to entertain them. I'm more the son of a friend. I already considered: "Excuse the interruption. I am Philipp, a friend of Marlene (party host) and she wanted me to entertain you guys a bit. You guys seem like a fun group because of XYZ!" What do you think of that?
2. I got my usual sets down but I wanted to try out some new routines or some old ones that I didn't perform in a while. What do you think of that? I have to leave some tricks out anyways because I ned a table for them.
3. A fancy piece of accessoire would be great. I would wear a Jeans, T-shirt and a Jacket. What kind of accessoire do you think could fit that? Maybe a fancy hat or funny shoes or something else...
4. How do you handle drunk spectators and which kind of tricks wouldnt you do for them?
5. What do you do if you're not needed because the atmosphere is great anyways?
I hope that aren't to many questions. I read many articles on these topics but I wanted to hear your opinion. I think I need to calm myself down a bit. Probably I will practice a lot before hand.
Cheers
Philipp
PS: As always thanks for your help and the age group is somewhere from 18-60.

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
First gig: How it went

So here's how my first gig went:

I worked behind the bar for the first 2 hours of the party. So most people at least saw me once and I was always being friendly so they kinda liked me before i got there. LAter that evening I decided that it was time for some magic. I approached and introduced myself with your introduction. They were like: "What, Marlene wants us to be entertained? That's awesome." I found it way easier than in restaurant because as you said they were already havin a good time. After I did my 1 hour strolling which was great (Ring, Rubber Bands, Ropes, Sponges, Coins, ID, ACR and French Kiss) word spred quickly and more people wanted to see my magic. Later in the evening I was performing magic for more people. The trick that went over best imo was French Kiss which I did like 6 times. Overall I only failed at one couple so I got that going for me which is nice. I got a lot of positive feedback and I am looking into a bright future.
Cheers

Well Phillip when you introduce yourself just go up to them and say "Hello I'm Phillip how are you guys tonight! (they respond with good) Okay well tonight ill be your entertainer would you folks like to see something cool?" That;s honestly what i say at weddings for people and it works 99.9 percent of the time. And here's a tip look for people in the moment like happy and not sad! the happy ones have such a better time and cooperate so much better than people that are sad or angry about something.

Now here's how to handle drunk folks. Ask them to see a trick they say sure now perform a trick that gives you all control. Do not let them have control of the cards,coins,sponge balls or what ever you perform. If you do give them control and this is from personal experience they mess a lot of things up for you! Once you perform for intoxicated people you'll get the hang of it find it easier the more you do it!

Best regards and good luck man!

Sincerely Reilly.Stone

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results