First large Parlor Show last night!

Jul 15, 2017
Hey Theory 11 crew!
So last night I had a show hosted by a really cool local business and it was my first true parlor show. For those of you who do not know, I'm a close up magician and up until this point I've done a bunch of walk around gigs for different companies and parties. So last night was a different experience all together but I learned a lot. I performed for 30+ people last night and after everything is said and done it was an awesome show, with a very interactive and fun crowd. Now on to some things that I figured out now that I've woken up and thought about the performance last night.

1. I was surprised that certain beats of a trick got the reactions it did. Let me try to explain that further. I did a mentalism trick where I show that I predicted what card they would think of, and then the finisher is showing the crowd I also predicted the name of the person I would be doing the trick for. I knew the name reveal would get a good reaction but I was not aware the card reveal would get as much as it did. That happened a few times last night, it was really cool.

2. Now for a rough lesson, some tricks in my set list did not go over as well as I would hope because of such a large crowd. Two tricks in my set got very little reaction mainly because they are designed for close up work. One in particular is pinky promise by Shin Lim. A really cool effect that I've used before to great response but this time it only got a small response to the people who saw it....I realized to late that that and the other close up card trick I did didn't play to the big crowd so it was more confusing to most than entertaining.

3. @ChristopherT once said on here that a mentalism trick done right could be amazing and I have since been working on several mentalism routines and I did them for the first time last night and playing to the larger crowd, they brought down the house.

4. Something I need to work on if I keep doing Parlor shows is pacing, The pacing of a parlor routine and a close up walk around routine is so different and I need to take that into account.

All in all it was a wonderful night, the set list minus two tricks went over better than I could have expected and I was invited back. I hope you enjoyed my write up of last nights performance and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Peace!

Nov 12, 2017
Very cool read, It's nice to see someone talk about how they messed up as well as how they did good. Thanks for the post!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results