First Night as a House Magician

So tonight I got hired as the House Magician at a five star Mexican restaurant. I'm pretty happy right now! :D I work every Saturday from 6:00-9:00 pm, for $30 a day plus tips. Today, they didn't pay me the $30 because it was just a test day, but I got $20 in tips! I've never done actual restaurant magic before tonight, and so far, i'm loving it!

They've got it all lined up already. They're gonna get a professional photographer to take pictures of me to make a cardboard cut-out of me to put at the front doors of the restaurant for people o drop tips in, and they're making posters and everything to put up in their windows and stuff. Pretty sick stuff.

So tonight, I just stuck to two effects per performance, and it turned out great, I got awesome reactions. I did ACR and The Biddle Trick. I'm gonna switch it up every night, but is there any DVDs you recommend for restaurant magic? Thanks in advance guys!

A happy camper,
Anthony Bass

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
if they're going to promote you full fledged like that, I'd ask for AT LEAST $50. It's not much to ask... btw: "Live at the jailhouse" is a good series to watch.

Congrats in any regard

if they're going to promote you full fledged like that, I'd ask for AT LEAST $50. It's not much to ask... btw: "Live at the jailhouse" is a good series to watch.

Congrats in any regard

I'm scared to ask for a raise. Haha!

The owner looks like the mafia-type....not really, but he looks tough, i'm afraid he'd throw me through a window or something. Haha! $30 a day isn't bad, it's good with me.

Anthony Bass

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
well as long as you're comfortable with it then that's all that matters. I'd wear a button (name tag style) that says something like "I trick for tips" or whatever. I do, and the day I started wearing one, my tips more than quadrupled.

Something to think about.

well as long as you're comfortable with it then that's all that matters. I'd wear a button (name tag style) that says something like "I trick for tips" or whatever. I do, and the day I started wearing one, my tips more than quadrupled.

Something to think about.

Haha! That's clever!

vipermagic said:
Congradulations bro! Are you still down for the mall this weekend though.(now that your a big shot restaurant magician)

Luis

I dunno man. I might be free Sunday, but we'd have to be home early for school the next day. Like I said, I work Saturdays, so that's outta the question.

Anthony Bass

Sep 1, 2007
That's awesome dude! I plan on hittin' up a local restaurant to do that as well, sounds like it's amazingly fun! How did you approach the restaurant about hiring you though? Did you just talk to the manager or what? I'm just curious.

D

Deleted member 2755

That is awesome! Congratulations! As for DVDs, I don't own them, however I have only heard good things about them... I will recommend you to

The Real Secrets of Magic by David Stone. There is another volume too which you can find on E. (It is not made by E so if you can find it cheaper then buy it somewhere else. I just linked you there because I knew E sold it.) The DVDs look fun and it is meant to teach you resteraunt magic too! Enjoy.

-Doug

That's awesome dude! I plan on hittin' up a local restaurant to do that as well, sounds like it's amazingly fun! How did you approach the restaurant about hiring you though? Did you just talk to the manager or what? I'm just curious.

Thanks man! :)

No, actually, i'm friends with the host at the restaurant, and he told his manager about me, and the manager told the owner about me, and they called me in tonight to check me out. They loved me, and hired me immediately.

Anthony Bass

Oct 16, 2007
david stone's real secrets of magic has already been mentioned. and that's probably the best dvd format info sources (Lecture notes are great for tricks that'll work the crowd too) that you'll get about table hopping. This is definitely a great dvd especially for restaurants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Thanks man! :)

No, actually, i'm friends with the host at the restaurant, and he told his manager about me, and the manager told the owner about me, and they called me in tonight to check me out. They loved me, and hired me immediately.

Anthony Bass

Haha, well I guess that eliminated a couple of steps. It's all good, I'll man up and go talk to a manager or something. I'm sure that'll be fun.

Best of luck to ya in your restaurant endeavors!

Dec 14, 2007
If this is your first time doing restaurant magic, then what you stand to make in experience is a lot more valuable that what you stand to make in cash. For a first timer, your fee is very fair. After you have learned the ropes, THEN ask for more - with the SECOND restaurant you book.

Always take care of the people who gave you your break!

Brad HEnderson

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results