First Real People Performances of SMOKE

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, Casey here.

So for me, I just started high school today. And what's better to kick off school than to show people magic? I know a lot of people would be dreading the day, so I thought I'd make their day better with some mystery. And what better way to provide them mystery with Smoke?!

Now, of course I did this before school and after school, just so I would avoid teachers and higher authority. So here's the performances before school:

Outside while we were walking, I stopped a couple of friends and did the Portal routine that was taught on the DVD. Now because school campuses do not allow lighters and matches for obvious reasons, I had everyone concentrate their energy on the dot, trying to make it hot. (I know that rhyme was awesome). So i built it up really well, and when the smoke started to slowly come out of my mouth, everyone dropped their mouths. It was awesome! I had quite a few people going crazy, freaking out, and shouting profanity (in the good way). So now that I did that one performance, it was time for word to spread around the grade (and quite a few other grades) of my "special ability". People were coming up to me asking me to do it, but I kept their anticipation for the trick going by telling them to wait until later.

After school:

While officially off of the school campus, I showed a big crowd of different high-schoolers (ranging from all grade levels) the Portal routine. Of course by the end of the day it was built up and their excitement was just at its highest. I started to slowly let it out of my mouth, and oh my god. Everyone's reaction was priceless. I can't really describe everything, because a lot of different reactions (good ones) were happening all at the same time.

Let's just say, if you do this at school, prepare to make yourself even more popular around your peers. This utility device is so amazing, I can't even start telling the many ways why it is. You know how you've heard the simple effects hit hard? This is one of the easiest tricks I do, and it's a freaking miracle. When this comes back in stock, prepare to run them out of stock again quick because this is a real worker. I cannot stress it enough to pick this up IMMEDIATELY!!!

-Casey

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Great Job Casey. Loved the stories. I can tell just by how you wrote them your level of excitement had to be through the roof.

Nov 8, 2007
Sounds like you're really enjoying performing your magic and Smoke. That's awesome. That's one of the things I enjoy about this craft so much--it's so much fun and the people involved in it (magicians) generally are very enthusiastic about it. Look forward to getting my Smoke kit. Should be here tomorrow or Friday. Your story got me even more excited about this.

Keep up the good work, Casey! Glad your first day back at school started off well with the magic.

danwhite

theory11 artist
Sep 1, 2007
Awesome Casey!!! I am so glad the Portal routine is working out for you. I love the thing too and feel exactly the same way when doing it. Congrats!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Awesome Casey!!! I am so glad the Portal routine is working out for you. I love the thing too and feel exactly the same way when doing it. Congrats!

Thanks Dan and Mat La Vore for the kind words! Something that I should add is that for the kids who think it's funny for making fun of me because I do magic, Smoke shut them up!!! Haha, had them second guess themselves about the way they thought about magic. Don't pick at a magician, or bad things will happen....:p

Apr 20, 2010
You had good misdirection, but still no reason to, yanno, get the smoke.

Make gestures or use an invisible match/lighter works well when you don't have anything on you. Though I'm sure everyone was stunned anyways, you can never be too safe?

Nice job! I performed it about 10 minutes after learning it completely and stumped everyone. No-one sees it coming!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
You had good misdirection, but still no reason to, yanno, get the smoke.

Make gestures or use an invisible match/lighter works well when you don't have anything on you. Though I'm sure everyone was stunned anyways, you can never be too safe?

Nice job! I performed it about 10 minutes after learning it completely and stumped everyone. No-one sees it coming!

Exactly, which makes it such a great effect. It gets everyone off guard and no one knows what is going to happen.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I wouldn't suggest performing it at High Schools, specially sense you are under the legal smoking age. You may have gotten lucky this time and didn't get caught or busted for "smoking". But, if a security guard or teacher walks by and sees you doing it, they aren't going to think "Wow." they are going to think " Yeah, he's got a pack of cigs on him." and pretty much have your ass reported and possibly suspended..

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I wouldn't suggest performing it at High Schools, specially sense you are under the legal smoking age. You may have gotten lucky this time and didn't get caught or busted for "smoking". But, if a security guard or teacher walks by and sees you doing it, they aren't going to think "Wow." they are going to think " Yeah, he's got a pack of cigs on him." and pretty much have your ass reported and possibly suspended..

I said I was off campus and away from any teachers. Don't worry. I'm not a dumb kid, I know where and when I can do it without any trouble. Even my Art teacher wanted to see it, but I refused because of well, you know how it would go.

Jun 10, 2010
Damn you Casey. I'll get smoke, as soon as I order some stuff from t11 (in a few weeks/months) and they get more back in stock...

Sep 1, 2007
Ontario, Canada
So your not allowed to smoke outside at your school? Thats strange. Lots of people smoke right outside my school. Cigs and ... Teachers dont really say anything. And if they say your smoking. They cant prove it.

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
So your not allowed to smoke outside at your school? Thats strange. Lots of people smoke right outside my school. Cigs and ... Teachers dont really say anything. And if they say your smoking. They cant prove it.

and plus, what happens if they have the audacity to search you? My friend got Smoke a couple days ago, so I know what the utility device is, and seriously, they wont even find it. they couldnt suspend you with no proof,

Sep 1, 2007
Ontario, Canada
and plus, what happens if they have the audacity to search you? My friend got Smoke a couple days ago, so I know what the utility device is, and seriously, they wont even find it. they couldnt suspend you with no proof,

Exactly what i'm saying. As long as you don't do this INSIDE the school than there shouldnt be a problem.

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
Exactly what i'm saying. As long as you don't do this INSIDE the school than there shouldnt be a problem.

yeah, the only way im ever gonna do Smoke inside the building is during a talent show or something, and before hand I'm gonna get permission and tell the principal and the AP's that it isnt real smoke and stuff, just so everyone is aware that im not doing anything dangerous. But thats a long shot in itself

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I'm assuming it is very important to not repeat this trick for people who have seen it before. It will be tough in a school to not perform it again for people who have already seen it. It only takes one to call you out and ruin all the reputation you've built with that effect.

Thanks for sharing Casey!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results