First starting in flourishing questions

Oct 30, 2008
www.youtube.com
I'm just starting in flourishing. I know very very basics like the swing cut and a few little things using it. I have invented 2 cuts that look pretty cool. I just have a question. Should i try youtube tutorials and learn cuts, or is it ok to continue making my own? I have tried these tutorials before and for some reason i just can't keep up with them. Who can help?

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I would suggest you learn cuts off youtube. Or you can buy a flourishing dvd. After you learn a few cuts, then you can start making your own. And make sure your learn the following:

Charlier Cut
Revolution cut
Sybil

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
Youtube is a good place to learn and it's fun to create your own, but it really helps to buy something professonal. Dan and Dave as well as many others have DVD's out that not only show you the cut, but let you see if from many angles and in slow motion. This really facillitates leaning. Start with the good stuff and perfect that. Then and only then should you try learning from tutorials on youtube or creating your own. Start with the basics and learn them right. It will be much eaisier to create and learn when you know your basic stuff.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
if your just starting than yes the Trilogy disc 2 is probably too hard. If you want a challenge and are willing to practice A LOT for a LONG time then you could try it, but its going to be crazy difficult without the foundations. Its better to start with something like The Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes aka "The Bible" of cardistry or if your looking for a dvd Xtreme Beginners isn't too shabby. i know this cause a month or two ago the wonderful members of this forum helped point me in the direction and they served me well. Also at the top of the Cardistry forum are a few sticky threads with good advice on starting out in cardistry and what steps you should follow as well as cards to use. good luck

EJ

Mar 4, 2008
Canada
I agree with jrobarts05. Although D and D's flourishes look awesome, they are rather difficult (at least for me anyways). I found that the flourishes on DM Motion were rather easy to get down. A lot of Daniel's flourishes are utilize both the sybil and revolution cut.

Sep 1, 2007
what the F? definitely start flourishing, just make up your own junk instead of copying everyone else, so at least it's entertaining to watch for us :)

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
Xtreme Beginnerz hands down if you're a visual learner (which is usually the case for beginners) or the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes if you want to be set for a very long time.

Or if you're into the fancy 2 handed cuts, the System and the Trilogy are great. Who cares if they're two hard. They're going to be hard weather you're a beginner or not.

It depends on what you're into. Those are some great starts.

-Kevin

Jan 31, 2008
Start with the basics and learn them right.
I can't stress that enough, seriously, way to many n00bs go straight to the system and trilogy and years later they're still n00bs and can't even do a damn charlier much less a original looking cut of any type. I know it sounds biased, but DO NOT start out with the system or trilogy, start out with XB or the EncyclopediaOfPlayingCardFlourishes, the basics are much more valuable then any dnd cut because you can formulate wicked-ass combos and add onto them and even create original moves off of those, plus if you start out with the dnd stuff, I promise you that's what you'll be doing for the rest of your life (or as long as you're into flourishing), I can't list any example of people who don't follow this steiotype, might as well throw creativity out the door into a pile of sh*t.

May 6, 2008
Egypt
learn sybil & i think it's too early to start inventing new cuts now, just get the basics down, and my best advice is be patient & never give up

Oct 13, 2008
I would learn and practice the Charlier, Revolution Cut, Sybil, and one-handed fan. Practice with something good like Tallies or Wynns. Once you have a good grasp on the aforementioned flourishes, I would move up to something like Motion or (if you're feeling brave) the System. I highly recommend Motion, it's a good mid-level DVD, and I personally like Madison's style more than DnD's. I like DnD though.

It's a long road, so don't get frustrated if you don't get everything your first try. I get some flourishes perfectly after I forget about them and come back.

Good luck :cool:

Sun|Sky

my advice

Do check out the link for beginners in cardistry; it's really helpful.

I started with disc two of the Trilogy, and I do not recommend it. Though I've gotten along fine I'm sure the learning was a lot harder than it had to be and I'm constantly having to learn basic moves that are new to me. However, Flourishes 101 on disc 3 is a great resource for bigginers, though it's not comprehensive. Here are my suggestions:

1) Sure, check out YouTube. Learn some of the basic things like Sybil, the charlier cut, and the revolution cut. One reason I don't heartily recommend YouTube for all your flourishing needs is that you'll find that your style starts to look like everyone else's; it's hard to resist or even recognize. You have to get a variety of resources and do stuff on your own to get to know how you flourish. Just like magic, being able to execute a maneuver is very different from performing it well and originally.

2) Buy a basic resource of some kind and learn lots of the basic moves.

4) Start combining these moves or modifying them into your own stuff. The point isn't to make fantastically new flourishes (chances are you won't or can't), but by making new stuff you really learn and "own" the basic components. You also start to get an intuitive understanding of how packets of cards behave.

5) Once you have several/many of these under your belt and feel like attacking something a little more substantial, buy a higher level flourishing DVD or book like Daniel Madison's Dangerous or Dan and Dave Bucks' Trilogy disc 2.

One option is to buy the Trilogy, start with flourishes 101, then move on to disc two. Some of the easier cuts include Akria, Molecule Four, and a couple of the components of Jackson Five.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Darian i will take your advice. XB is my first choice.
Right now i can do a charlier but not very well
and a few other things

Because you made that choice you're going to be hella good dude. its tempting to want to jump into the advanced stuff right away but you are making the right choice- I been doing this almost 2 years and still working on my charliers lol!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results