First thing I have seen in a while that has fooled me...

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Paul Cummins is just amazing in general. He has some of the best effects that are little known to new magicians. Everyone, check out Paul's material here:

http://www.fasdiu.com

FASDIU (From A Shuffled Deck In Use) is one of Paul's critically acclaimed books. Make sure you buy that now, I guarantee you all will LOVE IT!

-Casey

Nov 8, 2007
FASDIU and FASDIU II are both great. Paul Cummins is the man.

Tap a Lack is very similar to Paul Vigil's Diplopia (also worth checking out). It's pretty much the same effect. iIt differs in only the use of one principle and a slight difference in terms of choosing a red or black card.

Both use a standard shuffled deck too. Amazing effect and principle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i liked the effect but seemed kinda obvious to me. Plus im not a big fan of tricks where you scan through the deck... just seems... i dunno amateurish to me, not my style. Still for some would be a killer effect.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
i liked the effect but seemed kinda obvious to me. Plus im not a big fan of tricks where you scan through the deck... just seems... i dunno amateurish to me, not my style. Still for some would be a killer effect.

The scanning through the deck isn't necessary ;)

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
really? even for the second part? if thats true than its far more bada$$ an effect than i thought. However i wonder why he would do it if its not necessary. I think it would be stronger without it.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
It is a great trick, and for this version of the presentation, since it is FASDIU, it IS necessary to run through the deck. This is not really exposing anything.

In any case, it does take quite a bit of practice to be able to do it that smoothly/ quickly under pressure. This is a very fun trick to do and it hits pretty hard when presented well.

I also like doing this trick from a stacked deck.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Mmm, it's great from a stack, or even with marked deck, but I like using this as a closer, and in my walk around set in which I use this, I get the audience to shuffle somewhere in the middle.

and I don't use marked decks, but yeah, it's great.

Sep 3, 2007
It is a great trick, and for this version of the presentation, since it is FASDIU, it IS necessary to run through the deck. This is not really exposing anything.

In any case, it does take quite a bit of practice to be able to do it that smoothly/ quickly under pressure. This is a very fun trick to do and it hits pretty hard when presented well.

I also like doing this trick from a stacked deck.

Maybe I'm getting old but what the heck is FASDIU??? LMAO.

I wonder what it feels like to be fooled.....fyi the principle is waaaaaay old.

I never thought any different. Even most 'new' principles have existed in one form or another for years. Whenever I see a trick that fools me, I assume it's an old principle rather than a new one. The last two conventions I attended, the two tricks that fooled me the most were by John Lovick and Geoff Williams, and they used an age old mathematical idea and a key card respectively. Both these principles I have know since first starting magic (17 years ago!), but the framing was so good they flew right past me. Do I feel silly that to simple ideas fooled me? Not really, just made me re-evaluate how I was doing things. No shame in being fooled, I rather enjoy it actually and I know I certainly wouldn't be smug about never being fooled. If anything, magic would be ruined for me.

I think what fooled me about this Paul Cummins trick is that I was waiting for a switch of the magicians chosen card, but then it didn't happen. Maybe my prior knowledge was working against me

Anyway, I've just come out of a lecture, so I may be rambling on.... better get back to this lesson planning...

Peace

Matt

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results