Jun 12, 2016
Arizona
I was looking into some magic gimmicks and I found Hondo Chen's superior flap cards. Hondo is selling both instructions for the gimmick and handmade flaps. I'm willing to put time into the creation of the cards, but I was wondering if it was worth the money.

Apr 9, 2016
Well, I feel it's worth the money, but I'm a voracious sponge when it comes to learning how to do something myself instead of relying on a supplier. Same with any gaffe card or gimmick, love to make them, but I also have the time, patience, and desire to put the time in and enjoy that sort of thing. Some folks aren't wired like that, or don't have the time to invest in what amounts to a craft on its own. If you think you would enjoy learning and making flap gimmicks, it's on point and feel it's worth the money, in fact, a value.

That said, there are a few things I would have liked to know going in before buying it, like:

It is fully subtitled, as Hondo is Asian speaking in his native tongue and there is no English voice dub. Doesn't really need it, but when learning the many subtleties he's teaching, it requires (for me anyhow) initially looking up at the video more often than would otherwise be necessary if it were in spoken English to view the subtitle, rewind a bit, etc. The subtitles are for the most part clear and well translated, so the info usually there.

There is only one camera angle throughout most of it, it's of mediocre quality, and that can be again problematic for details. I find mtself pausing, focusing, rewinding, etc, a bit more than one with higher quality video and more camera angles and more quality editing would require.

He also is specific on brands and models of some items, and completely vague (subtitles made this even more problematic) on others. Particularly thread. Woefully inadequate info. I'm going to save everyone some time and money here and say to just look for and purchase "Prym". If you buy the video, you'll know, and save yourself the aggravation of buying 5 different useless items to get to the one required.

Lastly, be prepared to spend some significant time and money gathering the items required to produce the end products learned here. (I'd say another $20-$50, depending on what you may already have). Finding the thread needed was the worst waste of money though. I spent more on unnecessary and un-useful threads that wouldn't work until I found the one that did. I gave my vague PSA above on that, so if you pursue this, that's the one you need.

Overall I found it to be of value and worth the money. I enjoyed the detail he went into on technique and varying end products you can make. Lots of little helpful and clever tips one wouldn't find in a book. Hondo did a great job on this and despite a few minor shortcomings, turned out a great tutorial with a wealth of specific useful techniques, methods, and tips for producing flap gimmicks and how to use them.

Hope that helped!

Apr 26, 2013
hi Funkybottoms,

i too have been through buying a bunch of different thread for this. i used your advice on the Prym brand and got 'elastic sewing thread'. it works so thanks for the info! this is still white and pretty visible though.

is there a more invisible Prym that works better?

Well, I feel it's worth the money, but I'm a voracious sponge when it comes to learning how to do something myself instead of relying on a supplier. Same with any gaffe card or gimmick, love to make them, but I also have the time, patience, and desire to put the time in and enjoy that sort of thing. Some folks aren't wired like that, or don't have the time to invest in what amounts to a craft on its own. If you think you would enjoy learning and making flap gimmicks, it's on point and feel it's worth the money, in fact, a value.

That said, there are a few things I would have liked to know going in before buying it, like:

It is fully subtitled, as Hondo is Asian speaking in his native tongue and there is no English voice dub. Doesn't really need it, but when learning the many subtleties he's teaching, it requires (for me anyhow) initially looking up at the video more often than would otherwise be necessary if it were in spoken English to view the subtitle, rewind a bit, etc. The subtitles are for the most part clear and well translated, so the info usually there.

There is only one camera angle throughout most of it, it's of mediocre quality, and that can be again problematic for details. I find mtself pausing, focusing, rewinding, etc, a bit more than one with higher quality video and more camera angles and more quality editing would require.

He also is specific on brands and models of some items, and completely vague (subtitles made this even more problematic) on others. Particularly thread. Woefully inadequate info. I'm going to save everyone some time and money here and say to just look for and purchase "Prym". If you buy the video, you'll know, and save yourself the aggravation of buying 5 different useless items to get to the one required.

Lastly, be prepared to spend some significant time and money gathering the items required to produce the end products learned here. (I'd say another $20-$50, depending on what you may already have). Finding the thread needed was the worst waste of money though. I spent more on unnecessary and un-useful threads that wouldn't work until I found the one that did. I gave my vague PSA above on that, so if you pursue this, that's the one you need.

Overall I found it to be of value and worth the money. I enjoyed the detail he went into on technique and varying end products you can make. Lots of little helpful and clever tips one wouldn't find in a book. Hondo did a great job on this and despite a few minor shortcomings, turned out a great tutorial with a wealth of specific useful techniques, methods, and tips for producing flap gimmicks and how to use them.

Hope that helped!

Apr 9, 2016
Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the kind words, and my apologies for being so vague in my response. I was trying to not "give it away" because I didn't want to outright reveal anything that may have been considered "secret".

However, I know what you received because post-post, I received one of what you ordered because a seller sent the wrong product. I think it's safe to further clarify at this point.

The actual product you want to order is "PRYM 977770 Knitting-in elastic length".

This is THE stuff. The Prym white elastic thread will work, but it's way too visible and pretty thick as you know. The 977770 is very thin, transparent, and works exactly as Hondo intends.

My sincerest apologies for not being clearer on which Prym product to order, but I assure you that if you hit Amazon and seek on PRYM 977770 you will get the right stuff.

Lemme know how it all works out for you! Best of luck!

Reactions: Dragonbones
Apr 9, 2016
Also, if in the US and ordering the Prym 977770 from Amazon, be SURE to choose the seller "Creative Crafts". Located on east coast of US and took about a week to arrive on west coast, and good communication from seller. Ordered another from different overseas seller and it went full fiasco, never received the thread.

Using this thread you'll have great results from the Hondo tutorial.

Reactions: Dragonbones
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results