Flashgig.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Shouldn't have gone.
I don't let myself get treated that way by clients.
And I don't like half assing performances just because I need the money.
Its never happened to me because I haven't allowed it to.

I've taken a last minute gig before at The Celtic Manor (5 Star hotel that hosted the recent Ryder Cup), the magician they booked called up ill and a mutual friend put them in touch with me just 2 hours before I had to be there.

I went with a deck of cards, a sharpie, a loop and my phone and had an awesome night. I spent most of my time in the garden area, just entertaining this one group (bout 20 people). Drinking Whiskey, taking requests and receiving business cards.

I think people take themselves too seriously in magic these days. I make sure my performances don't show me off as the super-serious performer. It's better if you're on the same level as them. Rapport is just as important as skill, and you often get tipped or bought drinks more that way.

I say do the gig, take some risks and you'll probably come back and tell us it was one of the most fun gigs you've ever done.

I got called once last minute to do a party event by an event planner that I have worked with before. I showed up to find out on location that the event was a birthday party for a four year old. I spent the thirty minutes before the show re-writing my entire script to make it kid friendly. >.<;

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Shouldn't have gone.

I respectfully disagree. While yes, it is supposed to be a structured "thing" when it comes to booking a gig, I also feel as if one should always be ready just in case something pops up.

I keep in the trunk of my "whip" (as the young whipper snappers say), a small case that has enough "magic" in there for a full 45 min show if need be. Mind you, I do perform bar magic 3 nights a week, so I am usually prepared. But even if you don't have a regular gig, I think it is important to have a structured set ready to go at any time. I refer you to Jeff McBride's Commando Card Act, which he always has with him...he talks about that a lot, and that is what made me put together an "emergency show bag"...

Like Mr. Draven, I was called to a gig that involved me performing for 30 min. That was all I was told. I even asked on the phone if I am just doing my regular show, as they had seen me perform before. I was told yes. I show up, and it is a room full of 9-10 year olds. Mind you, this person saw me perform behind the bar!!!! Soooo, I did my show and made it as PG as I possibly could!

Another funny story...

My friend Rob, whom you all know as the guy who imitates Criss Angel...

Well, he was at a celebrity impersonator convention in Florida and performed I think about 5 minutes on stage. A few months later, he gets booked to perform as Criss Angel for an "event". Rob has all his expenses taken care of and was even put up in a hotel. Rob shows up with his Angel outfit ready to do. When he comes out on stage, he realizes he is performing for 150 kids, ages from 2-8!?!!
Not one kid in the audience "got" his act at all...and that is the funniest part...

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I respectfully disagree. While yes, it is supposed to be a structured "thing" when it comes to booking a gig, I also feel as if one should always be ready just in case something pops up.
I also disagree with visualartist. I've had last minute gigs before and as long as they agree to sign my contract I'm happy to do it. A professional is always prepared and ready (to some extent), that's one of the things that makes him a professional.

Oh and good luck, sounds like a fun gig.

Feb 7, 2011
Cool stories, bro's.

I agree with every point made. Including visualartist's to an extent. Had nerves about who was going to be at it, could have been alot of mums and dads with their kids doing christmas shopping, but it wasn't fortunately. There was some young local band in, real hipsters. But it was kind of cool. There was no point where i was completely surrounded by crowds, alot of people were rushing for bargains. Then after the rush i just moved through crowds of 4,5 and 6 people. Six being the most. It was fun, really easy going. Kept it very simple but effective, the invisible deck got dusted off. Alot of one step ahead mentalism too among other things. I dont do alot of strolling magic, infact it was my second ever strolling gig. Was so laid back with my last group, i started improvising a card routine, it was a mix of ACR, card to mouth, card to box, card to pocket, card under conveniently placed mcdonalds milkshake, and finished with card to spectators wallet. Really just card guy messing. Most of which i never ever do, it was just because they were cool and it worked. Only slip up was a misplaced justin beiber joke to teenage girls I wrongly assumed would have been too old to listen to him.

So in conclusion, it was great for me, had fun and made some paper for the back pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I also disagree with visualartist. I've had last minute gigs before and as long as they agree to sign my contract I'm happy to do it. A professional is always prepared and ready (to some extent), that's one of the things that makes him a professional.

Oh and good luck, sounds like a fun gig.

It's not about being prepared, its the principle of the thing.
Maybe Im coming from my experience as a filmmaker and observations of the upper crust of hollywood.
They try to make a wh0re out of you and I don't play like that.
Sure I can make a few quick tricks on the spot. But for something on the spot card tricks are usually the go to. Im tired of card tricks and I don't like to be seen as a one trick pony to my audience. So I like the ability to do magic with my surroundings.
If you make a habit out of being available whenever they call you they will take advantage of you. I've had clients try to do that when i've made myself too available.
Then again, the majority of my experience of that is in film.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
In cases like what just happened it all depends on the mood I am in, if I have my gig case packed and ready (unfortunately I need to do a better job of this) and if it is just strolling or a full blown show. If it is just strolling I'm more apt to throw 8-10 things in my suit coat and hit the road. It also depends on the mood my wife is in or if my children have athletic events or things that take priority.

I normally will do it if I know a fellow magician has come down with an illness that day or they have an emergency and have to bail. Always make sure the client is aware if you are filling in for someone else. If the initial hired magician doesn't give them a heads up and then you arrive...it could look shady....and believe me, I've seen it happen.

Feb 4, 2008
There was a booking agent/magician,( Brian Caswell I think?) who did a series of downloads for Penguin Magic a while back. One of the things he mentioned he looks for when he considers signing a magician is the ability in any circumstance to be prepared to perform on the spot. So in that sense I think you did well. It sounds as if it all worked out well, you had a good time, and got paid!

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
It's not about being prepared, its the principle of the thing.
Maybe Im coming from my experience as a filmmaker and observations of the upper crust of hollywood.
They try to make a wh0re out of you and I don't play like that.
Sure I can make a few quick tricks on the spot. But for something on the spot card tricks are usually the go to. Im tired of card tricks and I don't like to be seen as a one trick pony to my audience. So I like the ability to do magic with my surroundings.
If you make a habit out of being available whenever they call you they will take advantage of you. I've had clients try to do that when i've made myself too available.
Then again, the majority of my experience of that is in film.
People take as much leash as you give them. As I said, I have a contract. If they don't sign the contract I don't work with them. If they do sign the contract and mess me about or take the piss I will stop performing and walk away taking full payment with me. It sounds to me like these troublesome clients of yours thought of you too much as a friend, because you let them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing gigs last minute as long as you are clear and maintain control.

Ang

Sep 4, 2010

I keep in the trunk of my "whip" (as the young whipper snappers say), a small case that has enough "magic" in there for a full 45 min show if need be. Mind you, I do perform bar magic 3 nights a week, so I am usually prepared. But even if you don't have a regular gig, I think it is important to have a structured set ready to go at any time. I refer you to Jeff McBride's Commando Card Act, which he always has with him...he talks about that a lot, and that is what made me put together an "emergency show bag"...

Like Mr. Draven, I was called to a gig that involved me performing for 30 min. That was all I was told. I even asked on the phone if I am just doing my regular show, as they had seen me perform before. I was told yes. I show up, and it is a room full of 9-10 year olds. Mind you, this person saw me perform behind the bar!!!! Soooo, I did my show and made it as PG as I possibly could!

Another funny story...

My friend Rob, whom you all know as the guy who imitates Criss Angel...

Well, he was at a celebrity impersonator convention in Florida and performed I think about 5 minutes on stage. A few months later, he gets booked to perform as Criss Angel for an "event". Rob has all his expenses taken care of and was even put up in a hotel. Rob shows up with his Angel outfit ready to do. When he comes out on stage, he realizes he is performing for 150 kids, ages from 2-8!?!!
Not one kid in the audience "got" his act at all...and that is the funniest part...
I've seen Rob at Denny and Lee's, and he is hilarious xD

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results