FLICKER: is it essential for beginners

Is flicker an essential beginners move?

• Total voters

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
All right. I keep seeing this pop up as a beginners move. I can't get it right after almost 2 months of working on it. Doesn't mean that others aren't able to.
But I pose this:

Is this essential for beginners? Or is this an 'extracurricular' flourish that's nice, but one can go about their flourishing journey and never use?

May 24, 2015
All right. I keep seeing this pop up as a beginners move. I can't get it right after almost 2 months of working on it. Doesn't mean that others aren't able to.
But I pose this:

Is this essential for beginners? Or is this an 'extracurricular' flourish that's nice, but one can go about their flourishing journey and never use?

Hmmm...Going to have to do some research. I don't even know what Flicker is.

May 24, 2015
Just watched the tutorial from the Virts. It's definitely something that could add a lot to a cardist's tool box but it's not necessary to learn at first. These are what I call utility flourishes. While this flourish can stand on it's own, it's mainly used to add a sense of style to an existing flourish.

It's something I will definitely learn but something I'm not going to learn right now.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Hmmm...Going to have to do some research. I don't even know what Flicker is.

It's a one card flourish. The Virts have a good tutorial of it on YouTube.

I'm extremely stressed out all day, and I just can't get the flourish to work. It needs a relaxed grip for it to work and I keep giving it this kung-fu death grip.

But as far as its necessity, I don't see it as an essential move.
There's going to be the argument that it can be a good starter to a routine, but so can any other flourish.
As for what lessons a beginner an learn from a one card twirl such as 'Flicker'; it's purely limited only for the application of Flicker.

May 24, 2015
It's a one card flourish. The Virts have a good tutorial of it on YouTube.

I'm extremely stressed out all day, and I just can't get the flourish to work. It needs a relaxed grip for it to work and I keep giving it this kung-fu death grip.

But as far as its necessity, I don't see it as an essential move.
There's going to be the argument that it can be a good starter to a routine, but so can any other flourish.
As for what lessons a beginner an learn from a one card twirl such as 'Flicker'; it's purely limited only for the application of Flicker.

I totally agree. It's a utility flourish that can add sense of style to one or two card cuts but it's not essential for the beginner. Beginner should establish a solid foundation first before adding the flicker to their toolbox.

Dec 29, 2011
Objectively, I think one could go about their cardistry journey and never use any existing flourish. Whether it be Flicker, the Charlier Cut or even a Spring.

Apr 19, 2015
Florence, Italy
it's a matter of taste.
i don't like it, although it might fit well in certain flourish.
i don't usually likes all kind of flourishes that "hits" the camera or the spectator, it's too invasive and excessive.
The cardist is a performer, not a ninja.
So feel free to ignore some motions and focus on your style and what You would like to appear

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Flicker isn't a pure essential in my opinion, as I have never learned it, but I do my own version of a one card twirl from time to time as I treat it more of a finger exercise (the card rolls through all the fingers). The key is to not have a death grip on the card; treat it like a delicate feather. Barely put any pressure with your fingers and just let it roll. In terms of wrist movement, keep your arm completely still and just turn your hand palm down then palm up while twirling the card. If you have to, cup your other hand and rest your 'card-holding' elbow on it. Keep it there while you just focus on the wrist movement. Over time it should teach your arm to stay still while moving just your wrist. You've spent 2 months learning it, so don't put it to waste. Keep going!

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I want to get 'Flicker' down. I need the dang move for 2 cardistry projects working on.

I'm really frustrated with it because I worked on aircraft for 12 years. I'm good at troubleshooting and figuring things out; can't troubleshoot flicker--other than the inadvertent death grip.

I keep that in mind every time I try it. Its the whole 'relax' thing that I struggle with.

May 5, 2015
Brett, you've gotten a lot of help and response here, so I'll just chime in that I DO think Flicker is a great beginner move, but I feel your pain in the realm of troubleshooting. I had this sort of issue with Andre Jikh's bullet while other people said it was easy to get the knack for it, and I have only recently been getting over the hill with that one. Best of luck to you and keep powering through!

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Brett, you've gotten a lot of help and response here, so I'll just chime in that I DO think Flicker is a great beginner move, but I feel your pain in the realm of troubleshooting. I had this sort of issue with Andre Jikh's bullet while other people said it was easy to get the knack for it, and I have only recently been getting over the hill with that one. Best of luck to you and keep powering through!

Still trying to power through it. I put up an Instagram video seeing if I got any better with it, only to find out I'm doing it too fast. I had no idea there was such a thing as 'too fast of a Flicker'

Reactions: ChristopherR2
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results