Flip (UltraHD) Any good?

Hello guys, long time no see, been pretty busy for me recently and I hope you have all had a fantastic Christmas!

Question regarding the UltraHD Flip camera, is this a nice choice for when it comes to making short magic/flourishing movies?

Take care all.

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
I have one, and truthfully, i dont recommend it. It only shoots 720p quality, no optical zoom, and it records in an MP4 file format, which means, with most programs, either you'll have to take a couple hours to convert the files to a workable file, such as a WMV file, or, you'll edit a video which is sped up just enough to annoy the piss out of you, or it just wont work at all. You can't do focus blur, shallow focus, or anything like that with it. If you want a good camera, in the same price range, I recommend the Canon Powershot series, like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSh...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1274947575&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LITT3S/?tag=zky007-20
These are two good cameras i've played with, and I like them better than the Flip. Hope I helped out! :D
When it comes to shooting magic/flourishing videos, I would probably say that the Flip is the worst camera to choose. With the Flip software that is installed with the camera, you cannot split cut certain scenes from a single take, you cant add effects during production of the video, and you can't edit the cuts together on a timeline or something. Basically, with the Flip, all you can do is shoot and upload it, thats it, unless you enjoy spending 2 or more hours extra making the video. I suggest looking around for something different, and keep the Flip as a last resort purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 6, 2010
I would recommend it. My brother has the Flip Mino HD and it is great. It comes with it's own editing software so you don't need to worry about converting files.

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
I was considering it at one point, and then a friend recommended I watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfYNyiBSbRk

Go with dbmagic4's suggestion. I have seen some of the footage off of those cameras and the quality is great.

That guy knows what hes talkin bout haha. I mean, the only film camera I own as of now is the Flip. You can use it, but when I go and want to edit it, i have to convert all the files, which can take 2 or more hours, which is a pain, and then, the Flip editing software is too simple, you cant really do anything with it. I use Ulead Videostudio 11, which will not take the Flip's MP4 format, and neither will Movie Maker. It will probably be best if you just cut out the converting and get a camera that u dont have to do that with. Dont get me wrong, the Flip gets the job done, all of my youtube channel's videos are done with it, however, you might wanna save yourself the time.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
For quick videos, it's hard to beat the price and quality of the Flip Mino HD or Kodak Zi8. These are consumer grade cameras, but if you have enough light (shooting outside during the day), they will look crystal clear and have pretty good color too. Check out this link to a sample vid from the Zi8. For a much more high-end option, you could always just win the Canon T2i in our holiday contest!

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
For quick videos, it's hard to beat the price and quality of the Flip Mino HD or Kodak Zi8. These are consumer grade cameras, but if you have enough light (shooting outside during the day), they will look crystal clear and have pretty good color too. Check out this link to a sample vid from the Zi8. For a much more high-end option, you could always just win the Canon T2i in our holiday contest!
*starts to drool over the 2Ti* uggghhhhhh i wannnnntt ittttttt lol. I just got a Canon Rebel XS for christmas, but it dont shoot video. welp, hopefully luck will be with me :)

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
I would look into the Sony Bloggie Touch. It does full HD video as opposed to 720p and it takes 13.8mp stills. And you can get it at best buy for under $200.00. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I am currenly working for Sony and I was trained on the ins and outs of the flip cameras as well as the bloggie so feel free to ask.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
I prefer the Vado HD over the Flip, but Flip has a better marketing campaign. Vado comes pre-installed with the interface (Flip you do/or did anyway, have to download the software after you buy it) that lets you upload directly to YT or various other net locales. You can get a 2nd Gen for pretty cheap on ebay but I would get the third gen just because of some of the features they added. (I have a 2nd) It does VGA, HD, and HD + and can be connected directly to a TV with the included HDMI cable. It also connects via built in USB like the flip. You can see more info on their website Here.

You can see some of the footage I have shot on mine over Here.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results