Flip Video

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
Ok, so I just got a flip HD video camera about a month ago. I have some footage on it, but whenever I try to import it to an editing program, it says I need to convert it. Does anyone know any programs? I found one, but the trial version has watermarks on it, and I don't want to buy it yet, because I can't tell if I like it yet.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
Try importing it directly using the editting program. I believe I could get footage from my old flip into iMovie and Movie Maker. I haven't been using it since I got final cut, and have no idea of Vegas or any Adobe products.

-Alex

Aug 31, 2007
You need to import directly into flipshare when first transferring it onto your computer. From there you right click, and hit "Export"

From there it will be a .AVI file. It could be that your editing program won't import AVI clips. You might want to find out what format your editing program works best with, and then find a converter that will convert the clip to that format.

Most converters are free online, but the nice ones run around $40.

For me, final cut and iMovie work fine with AVI clips, but maybe it's different with the HD flip.

~Zach

May 18, 2008
I am attempting to buy a camera. I want the flip...

I don't know. Collecting money now, thinking about the Kodak Zi8.

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
Thanks for the responses!

popchris3: I love my Flip. Its amazing. The footage looks really nice on it. I just haven't been able to upload anything yet, due to the reason I stated in this thread.

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I am attempting to buy a camera. I want the flip...

I don't know. Collecting money now, thinking about the Kodak Zi8.

If your looking for a camera like that you should seriously consider the Creative Vado HD. I have it (I can't compare as I've never used the ones you mentioned) I love it.
Seriously do some research on it at least, I find all the reviews recommend this over the other similar options.

Sep 1, 2007
New York
iMovie has issues with the Flip video. Depending on what version of iMovie you are using, you may have problems. (Or, if you are using another software, you may have problems too.) Basically, just Google "flip video to [software]" and you'll find various discussion forums full of people with the same problem, and they'll tell you how to do it. For me, I downloaded a free program called MPEG Streamclip and it was able to make the necessary conversion. Don't worry, you'll be able to get it to work.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results