Flourishing Advice

Nov 30, 2008
Practice, either recording yourself or watching yourself in the mirror. Make sure that your deck is good enough. If your fans aren't smooth it's likely because of your deck.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Don't listen to these guys, practice is just a hoax. Doing something more doesn't make you better or smoother at it. /end sarcasm

Yeah...practice...it's not even a secret...there aren't any secrets.

Make sure you're doing the flourish correctly...and make sure you do it hundreds of times over.

:)

-Rik

Sep 1, 2007
well, from your username it sounds like you're already azn so that's a good first step. other than "practice", if you really want to get your fans good you have to learn to tune a deck with powder and stuff. well, actually not stuff, just powder. also be sure you are learning from the best, meaning Jerry the Flourishman.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Well in addition to practice, make sure you practice RIGHT. Cuz its a terrible thing to learn a move and found out a year later that you learned it wrong. And then you have to re learn it all over again (that's what happened to me with the Revolution Cut). So learn it from a correct source. Remember, "practice makes perfect. Imperfect practice makes imperfect"

Also, make sure your cuts are at the right rhythm. Meaning all parts of ti are at the same speed. If you can do a whole cut fast put there's one part that you can't do fast, slow the whole cut down to match that. Cuz if you go blazing fast, then pause, it looks unsmooth.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
Well in addition to practice, make sure you practice RIGHT. Cuz its a terrible thing to learn a move and found out a year later that you learned it wrong. And then you have to re learn it all over again (that's what happened to me with the Revolution Cut). So learn it from a correct source. Remember, "practice makes perfect. Imperfect practice makes imperfect"
This is incorrect. There is no "proper" way to do a flourish.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!

With some moves there are. For example, in the case of the Rev cut, When i tryed to do madonnas, it was VERY difficult to maneuver the rotating packet while holding a packet with thumb. I know the flourish is hard, but can't be THAT hard.

Well then i observed the revolutions cuts of other people and i found that my ring finger needs to stay on the front long side of the deck as oppsode to the right short side. And i'm fortunate to have found a tutorial on youtube that teaches it the proper way. (yes, there are some good videos on youtube)

Dec 10, 2007
Texas

I wouldn't put it like that exactly.
There's a proper way to eat, but there's no a "wrong" way. As long as you put the delectable food in your delicious mouth.
So think to paraphrase...
There is a proper way to do a flourish, but there is no "wrong" way.
=P

Sep 20, 2008
Arguing about grammar. Bit Childish eh? i suggest you do a practice routine, in addition to what the others have said. E.g. Practice Pandora for a week- Etc. Just to get some Muscle memory up and goin.

Sep 1, 2007
yes there is,And Jerry is not the best Flourisher

he was asking for fanning tips and Jerry is the best fanning artist in the world. no-one has close to the same volume of proficiency at as many different fans... also, it's the only published resources at that level of fanning.

either that or you pay farrell dillon or dan sperry 5 or 10 bucks for an instant download of some fuglyfans that should probably have been aborted in the third trimester. There's lots of fanning tutorials on youtube as well if you want to suck.

Sep 1, 2007
Webghost has astounding precision, but Jerry dominates because of the sheer number of different fans he has in his repertoire. Dragon you gotta check out the 2nd companion DVD.

he was asking for fanning tips and Jerry is the best fanning artist in the world. no-one has close to the same volume of proficiency at as many different fans... also, it's the only published resources at that level of fanning.

either that or you pay farrell dillon or dan sperry 5 or 10 bucks for an instant download of some fuglyfans that should probably have been aborted in the third trimester. There's lots of fanning tutorials on youtube as well if you want to suck.

bro...like i've said before...we're not flourishers...that's the last thing we want to be, we're ****ing magicians, entertainers, not card jugglers. you're obviously very confused at the difference. as i've stated in other posts, would love to see some of your work on video so i can see what i'm doing so wrong.

Sep 1, 2007
bro...like i've said before...we're not flourishers...that's the last thing we want to be, we're ****ing magicians, entertainers, not card jugglers. you're obviously very confused at the difference.

well you contradict yourself Dan. you say you're bleeping magicians, not flourishers, and then add on the classicly ignorant denigrator of "card jugglers" (how the **** is a giant fan juggling?) First you say it's the last thing you want to be, then you say you WANT to know what you're doing so wrong?

If you actually are interested in learning how to fan (to see what you're "doing so wrong")then I would refer you to the same source I did as the n00b that started this thread, and that is the flourishman's encyclopedia and 2nd companion DVD at this address: www.flourishman.com

I know you're a pro magician dude, I'm not dissing on your bird productions or whatever, but this thread is about fanning!

as i've stated in other posts, would love to see some of your work on video so i can see what i'm doing so wrong

I personally am not an expert on fanning and never have claimed to be, but if you are serious and want to check out my fans click here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLBHfaqh30

feel free to click around a bit and check out some more "juggling" :rolleyes:

sorry if i didn't explain myself more clear so i can see how you'd think i was contradicting myself let me clarify

i was under the impression you expect manipulators to do stuff like devo, andre, etc which to me is like card juggling and something a cardist would do and something i am not and never have claimed to be.

the videos myself and i'm pretty sure farrell as well put out are about manipulation, so you putting us into this thread is unnecessary. fanning/cardistry and manipulation are two totally different things granted manipulators may do a thumb fan or pressure fan or one handed fan or those simple things here and there. So hopefully that clears up your confusion.

I say again, I'm not a card juggler, fan passer, fanner,packet flipper, etc etc etc. -whatever you want to call it. I've been trained, by the best in the world, and have studied under as a manipulator being taught with the first and formost goal in mind to achieve a magic effect. if i fan a tenkai or shimada style or cardini style is irrevelant. shimada and tankai fans are much smaller than a cardini style fan - i'm sure you already know this but just to proove a point - the audience dosn't give a ****. i, as well as others who use cards, are magicians and are here to do magic and not care if we have some blocks in our fans. i could go on forever but i'm sure all of what i have said has occured to you already, you're just confusing and mis matching a magician with a cardist.

sorry if i had a bit of a knee jerk reaction with my first comment, I'm just a little tired with getting emails from random people saying check out what this dude's saying about you on theory 11 or wherever, granted its just your opinion and who cares you're not hiring me anywhere, but just felt the need to jump in and clarify a few things and give my two cents.

and maybe i'm just as confused as well, maybe you're not actually a magician but a cardist so I appologise for not knowing if you were or not. this is afterall a magic and cardist epicenter so there's room for both of us here. but in the words of a very prominant and highly respected magician I know as he reacted to one of the world's best cardists, and friend of mine who will remain unnamed out of my respect for him and what he does, : "that's great you can ****ing twirl cards and flip them around and whatever, just show me a ****ing trick, just ****ing say was that your card"

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results