Flying Wombat by Kainoa Harbottle (Impromptu Raven Effect)

Aug 31, 2007
I would like to ask you two things guys, first if someone could make a review of "Coins on Edge" because I think I´ll buy it, and second if you could tell me what you think about Flying Wombat.

Flying Wombat is the first effect in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2F_PzWbkcU

Thanks

ps: Sorry for my english

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
Oh that's a smart move that one.
Needs to be done on that sort of angle though..
Coins on edge.... that depends how much you're into coin magic.
It's a knuckle buster, and if you really like to try the hard stuff go for it.

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
I've met and hung out with Kainoa last summer out in Hawaii. He's a great guy and really knows his stuff about coins. Not to mention that he's f-ing insane with coins. I have his book Coins on Edge but I haven't thoroughly read it yet. From what I did read (coin production from edge grip, retention vanish to edge grip, steeplechase discrepancy) however, I can tell you that he does teach the material well.

Sep 29, 2008
Warsaw, VA
CoE

I too have met and hung out with Kainoa....and I can't recommend his book any higher. I've had it for about three or four years now and most of my coin magic is based on his.

The deeper edge grip (imho) is far superior to Roth's. Flying wombat will open doors to other things....(Thanks to C. Kenner for some inspiration) I now do a vanishing rubber band based on the wombat. Kinky Flying Wombat is also worth checking out. If you are adept at coins, get this book. Don't wait, do it now.

-Justin Hart

Sep 24, 2007
Flying wombat... just watch the video. the effect, in my opinion, is completely worth any work you have to do on it.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
Coins on Edge, by Kainoa Harbottle
spiralbound, 113 pages

HISTORY
The title gives away what this book is about- edge grip. Kainoa is a respected master of this grip, and even appeared as a prominent member of the Edge Grip Forum during the Coinvention.

Edge grip was a grip that wasn't widely used until thirty or fourty years ago, when David Roth re-introduced it to the magic community with his coin plot, "Hanging Coins". It has since become more and more popular, however, the grip itself has appeared in texts as early as 1904 and is presumed to have been used and re-invented for years and years earlier.

Kainoa has changed this grip from the classic "Rothian" EG (edge grip). Roth's EG is closer to the tips of the fingers, and this bothered Kainoa due to how it immobilizes the fingertips. In Kainoa's EG use, the fingers are freed and can manipulate coins at the fingertips while holding out a stack of coins, and (for the most part) freely showing the hand empty.

CONTENTS
In Coins on Edge, Kainoa teaches:

Basic edge grip theory and practice
Basic vanishes and productions from EG
The spin display
EG to EG changes
Edge Flip moves

EG to EG transfers
EG to CP (curl palm) transfers
EG steals

Nowhere palm work
Mutobe palm work

Flying wombat..........................\
Kinky flying wombat....................- These three are vanishes!
Hideous kinky flying wombat..../

And after all the technique, he includes 9 (that's right- 9!) full coin routines using the above sleights/techniques.

These include a few hanging coins routines, a couple of coins across, a four coin production and vanish sequence, a production of a stack of coins from a sneeze (and the lovely nostril production) and a great trick called Deja-Flew. I especially like his in-the-hands spellbound routine with "three" coins.

TEACHING
You will need to go over the routines, following along with the book, many times for you to learn this stuff. He doesn't baby you in any way with this material- you're left to fend for yourself.

A serious student studying this will have no problems learning this eventually- however, don't expect to be coddled like Brad Christian does to you. Kainoa is a tough teacher with rubber cement that exudes from his fingertips ;)

DIFFICULTY
This is an advanced text. You are expected to have amazing coin control and at least an "intermediate" level of coin skill and knowledge. This is not for the faint of heart; if you found Silver Dream even partially hard to do, you have a lot to learn before you can expect to get anything out of this book.

You must also have obtained a certain amount of ambidextrousness with coins if you hope to do many of the included routines.

MATERIAL
This is the stuff all coin guys dream about being able to do. 'Nuff said.

IF I HAD TO "RATE" THIS BOOK
I would give it a 9/10 - It loses points because some of the sleights made me cry a little bit (tear... ;)

It's hard stuff!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results