Forcing a Celebrity

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hey guys, I need a way to force a celebrity (or any kind of information), but without using blank faced deck of cards, or the "sven pad" (I'm already using it in the same effect for something else). Thank you!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The old school way of doing that would be a change bag. Or a switch box. What's the routine look like from the audience's point of view?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I agree with Chris on this one. If you need 100% accuracy, I would not chance the psychological force. Always go with a sure fire method so you can focus on the patter/presentation and performance rather than the anxiety of whether or not your force is gonna "hit".

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
You could use a change bag.

Or you could try a magicians choice. You would probably have to limit the celebrities to a certain number. Maybe use a deck, and have each card correspond with a celebrity?

If you are going to use a deck and have each card correspond to a celebrity, you could switch the deck for a one way force deck, or a Svengali deck to force the card. Then again, you could just force it using a normal force. The best way to do this would be to palm the force card in your hand, and have the spectator shuffle up the cards. Then put the card back on top, and give it a slip cut force, or cut the deck and give it a classic force.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
He's already using a SvenPad (which is short for Svengali Pad) so using a Svengali Deck would be repetitive, and he already said he doesn't want to use a blank deck which I would think applies to all cards.

There's a great method for forcing a song in 120% Chestosterone that could easily be applied to forcing a celebrity as well.

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
But a switch bag is your best bet even though it is not a free choice. If a switch bag was a "free choice" you wouldn't have them blindly picking from it.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I always use psych forces and I have only missed once so far.

For forcing a celebrity or forcing something else? It is unacceptable to use a psychological force unless you have an out.

But a switch bag is your best bet even though it is not a free choice. If a switch bag was a "free choice" you wouldn't have them blindly picking from it.

It doesn't have to be a free choice as long as it appears to be a free choice.

Have the audience shout out names. Write down the names they shout out, fold them up and put them in a clear plastic bag. After 10 or so names have the spectator pick one of the ten slips of paper. All you need is a pad of paper, a pen and a regular gallon Ziplock plastic bag. @Toby PM me if you need handling details.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I always use psych forces and I have only missed once so far.

I use psych forces as well fairly often. Actually over the weekend I was performing for a private party. I attempted the 37 force with the entire crowd (I've been performing this with mixed results for about 3 years now) and for the first time ever, I missed with EVERYONE. I was able to bail myself out but it was painful. If you use a psi-force you need an out of some sort, or a way to transition. Dani DaOrtiz, and Juan Tamariz talk about ways to deal with it. I'm thinking specifically about the "deaf ear" principal. David Berglas talks about transitioning into magicians choice as well.

I'm not as competent as the above performers so I would probably use Jay Sankey's Director's Cut.

I love the idea of using a dead marker with a list. If you need details PM me.

Check out Landmark for free on the Marketplace as well. This could easily be adapted with celebrity photos or names.

https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/oliver-smith/landmark

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
I love using modern Technology in my routines. So Have you tried Landmark by Oliver smith? It's a great force using modern technology. I really like it. It's free and on the market place.

I would also recommend Daniel Garcia's celebrity force (
. Skip to 3:01) it also uses modern technology.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I love using modern Technology in my routines. So Have you tried Landmark by Oliver smith? It's a great force using modern technology. I really like it. It's free and on the market place.

I would also recommend Daniel Garcia's celebrity force (
. Skip to 3:01) it also uses modern technology.
I have a question regarding that force. How can you be sure the person you are doing this for is going to think of an even number just because they said even in the "programming phase"?

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
I have a question regarding that force. How can you be sure the person you are doing this for is going to think of an even number just because they said even in the "programming phase"?
You have to say " now you said even right? Then think of any even number" or something along those lines. Just make 100% sure whatever number it is is even.

I like to say "since you said like even ( or odd) better I want you to pick your favorite even( or odd) number." That way it makes it seem more personal by adding the words " favorite" and "like better " as well as making sure they pick a even or odd number.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
You have to say " now you said even right? Then think of any even number" or something along those lines. Just make 100% sure whatever number it is is even.

I like to say "since you said like even ( or odd) better I want you to pick your favorite even( or odd) number." That way it makes it seem more personal by adding the words " favorite" and "like better " as well as making sure they pick a even or odd number.
I went back to watch the video and you're right. It just went right by me when he brought it up again that she thought even. Thanks for sharing this. I haven't seen this video in years!

B

BrettBarry

You could also use a 2nd SvenPad of the same color. Simply switch it in your pocket for the 2nd force. Since everyone is accustomed to it, it will fly under radar. The 2nd SvenPad would have the same non-force pages, and a different force.

Jul 28, 2015
Hey guys, I need a way to force a celebrity (or any kind of information), but without using blank faced deck of cards, or the "sven pad" (I'm already using it in the same effect for something else). Thank you!

If you want an elegant, great for formal and parlor shows, most honest looking, super deceptive force check out Thinking Paradoxes Clear Choice... I highly recommend it
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6548

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results