Forums = Not Constructive?

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
I recently read an article in a book, about how forums and online communities spread 'negativity' and deviate us from what magic really is "a performing art". and after reading I agree to a slight extent.

On forums we generally discuss about the performance of gimmicks, the ratings on products such as cards, and which effects will make us a better magician and will give us the best reactions etc etc.

In actual fact what we really should be doing, is going out and trying out each effect, trying to find our personal style of performing and perfecting our effects until they can generate the results we want because ultimately Magic is about growth.

What do you think? Do you think that forums are a waste of time and distract us from what we are supposed to be doing?

My opinion is as follows, Forums can be helpful, and in a way do help us to become better magicians, but also spreads negativity, here are a few of my pet peeves.

1) Avoid stupid posts such as "What do you think of Brian Tudor" because seriously..why does it matter?

2) Cut the negative attitude. If you don't like another persons flourishing/magic style, state ways that they can improve and not give idiotic comments like "I didn't like that, you suck". A rule of thumb is...If you can't do it better, don't give criticism.

3) Know that everyone has different opinions, and that there are two sides of the argument. So many people on forums are so thick in the head, that they can't accept other peoples opinions on a subject.

4) Don't waste time looking for re-assurance, because generally you won't find it, just go out there and do it!

-DL

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Thats a very stupid rule.
Agree, I could say that ......(insert sleight, flourish here) was horrible, because damn even a laymen can notice that it was such a horrible performance, but I cant do it better, because I havent bothered on learning it, or practicing it.. So this rule shouldnt apply..

And you know this situation can occurs..

Aris

Dec 22, 2007
You probably might have misunderstood.
What I am trying to get at, if you cannot do it better, you have no right, to say something like "That was a bad performance" or "You suck" but it is perfectly fine to give hints on ways that they can improve.

Ive never heard anyone on forums tell someone else that they suck. I only see constructive criticism around here.

What I am trying to get at, if you cannot do it better, you have no right, to say something like "That was a bad performance" or "You suck" but it is perfectly fine to give hints on ways that they can improve.

focusing on if you cannot do it better, you have no right" - "honestly, what gives one the right to say that he or she can do it better or cant do it better? it depends on another's perspective whether or not it's done better or otherwise.

i believe that no one has "no right". there is after all, freedom of speech. that person instead, should give constructive criticism on where it was not right or done right in his or her perspective, which you have stated.

after all, if that person were a laymen saying that that was a bad performance, he should have reasons.:)

Ive never heard anyone on forums tell someone else that they suck. I only see constructive criticism around here.

That was a joke...right?

Forums only take a persons mind off something more important if that person lets them. If this or that magic forum is just another place to feel special and pretend one is something one's not, then that's when you get all the negativity and bashing and general trash that lines the bottom of most forums, magic or otherwise.

That other people get dragged into it by feeling the need to respond to bashing and posting negativity of their own (hello...!...hi, yep, I actually just said that, nice to meet you) is par for the course with human nature.

There's only so long I - for example - can read some complete tripe by a complete arse and not respond. Does responding change the situation? No. But that doesn't stop the compulsion to do it. I make no apologies...well...not often, but It pains me to see what I've just submitted sometimes.

But then I never said I was perfect...and don't believe I am either.

If everyone else felt the same way, then things would be different.

And I would be God.

And then chinese food and beer would be free for all eternity...oh yes...FREE I TELLS YA'.

Rabid

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I feel that this forum can be very constructive at times. Though like any forum there are people that who obviously don't get along with others or feel that the difference in opinion is more so stupidity or ignorance.

When you make comments on someones performances or anything of that nature I think you should avoid saying things like "you suck." It gives off a major neg. about yourself which you may not care about but it could start problems. "You suck" isn't a very constructive comment anyhow so I'd actually provide more useful information so they know how to improve themselves instead of just knowing it needs to improve.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I agree.

I honestly read a lot here-without posting a ton-for the past year and just recently starting putting my comments in different areas.

People are taking what you said out of context, how about no one can say things like 'you suck' or 'delete video it's a disgrace' but everyone has their opinion stated in constructive criticism. Something like 'I know you're new, take and practice it over and over, because you've got the ability, but could use some work'

And then the people who do whatever type of magic/flourishing should come along and say something like 'When you do -insert one part here- try doing it more like this, it might be easier and make it flow better...'

Just a few examples.

I've actually had the most constructive discussion thus far through PM's. Recently with someone about planting cards (pockets..etc) and we're just brainstorming back and forth.

Anyway. I think it would do a lot of people good to buy a book with sleights, or a book/dvd with flourishes, and take a week off from the community-practice and try and figure out what it is they get (or need) from these forums(other than entertainment from the crew and members).
(just a thought).

-Rik

The thing I dislike about discussion forums is that people hide behind their computer screens. In a way I agree with your comment

A rule of thumb is...If you can't do it better, don't give criticism.

All CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is good criticism. People use internet discussion forums as an alternative to performing. Which is quite incredible, but it's true! People can lie on the internet and have people easily believe them because it just isn't REAL! I went through this, and thank god I stopped because it was completely stupid.

The important thing is to just perform! But don't perform for the sole reason of coming back to an internet forum and telling everyone about it. Perform for your spectators. Perform as if forums weren't around because then, it would just be about your audience.

I hope I made sense, I had a long night last night and barely any sleep...

Mitch

Dec 22, 2007

i guess that means that if you CAN do something better than someone, then logically you have no right to tell anyone else that they do it well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results