Foundations or Ninja?

Mar 28, 2010
Maryland
Hey everyone, I'm about to get a new dvd and was wondering which one you think is better. I'm early intermediate level and was wondering what would be better:
Foundations - Jason England or
Ninja - Brad Christian?
or if you know of a better one please let me know!

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Nija is more concerend with the pass, whilst Fundamentals is more about other gambling slights. In Ninja you will see more tricks performed aswell however nobody teaches like Mr. England.

My advice would be to pick up Fundmentals, and the Pass 1 on 1. However I may wait out on that for a Fundmentals 2. Please JB make it you already have the material shot all you have to do is just press it onto DVD.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
The question posed is if it's better to learn sleight of hand technique from one of the best card technicians of our time - and the most well read expert on Erdnase - Jason England. Or Ninja by Brad Christian. I think Foundations wins this round.

Hope this helps.

Love,

KK

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I absolutely agree with Mrs. Kenner on this one guys. If I were to have to pick between the two, Foundations would be on MY pancake plate. (I don't know what that means)

Also, why limit yourself to these two selections? What about the Card College Series along with the DVD set? What about Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles? Even The World's Greatest Magic set L&L has been putting out is also fantastic too!!

Mike

Jan 31, 2010
I absolutely agree with Mrs. Kenner on this one guys. If I were to have to pick between the two, Foundations would be on MY pancake plate. (I don't know what that means)

Also, why limit yourself to these two selections? What about the Card College Series along with the DVD set? What about Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles? Even The World's Greatest Magic set L&L has been putting out is also fantastic too!!

Mike

I can think of Money as a good limiting factor.

Also, the biggest difference here is what you want out of the dvd. If you want to learn gambling sleights, pick Foundations. I have it and love it. But nothing on that dvd is easy.

Ninja is more focused on 'magic' sleights, with tricks being taught as well. It kinda has a focus on gambling, but nothing worthwhile.

There are much better dvds than ninja out there, so in my opinion - If you don't want foundations, don't buy ninja either and get one of the dvds Mike suggested.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
I agree with Silver it depends on what you are looking for.

Other important questions would be "what do you already have?" and "where do you want to go?".

I do not ownn foundations, but I have a handuful of Jason England's 1-on-1's. His teaching and knowledge is unparalleled. I'm not exactly a gambling sleight guy, but the stuff he teaches could come in handy for magic performances too, such as the false shuffles and such.

f you want to learn the Pass, go with the 1on1. Mr. England teaches it fantastically along with 3 variations, I heard that Ninja briefly goes over the pass and some variations. All in all, its up to you.

Yeah I heard ninja isnt the best, but then again foundations is more gambling sleight oriented. So If you want amgic your best bet would be something like Card college. Or maybe Close up card magic by harry lorayne?

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
I have Ninja. Im not saying its not my worst buy but for the money I paid I wish they would have spent more time on each subject, everything was very brief. Like others said is very pass orientated with a few diffrent changes and 3 card controls i think. there are better choices out there.

Foundations was a surprise for me. England goes into detail about every aspect of the move, origins and even give additional sources. Plus he does a great job of teaching each of the moves. The moves on Foundations are gambling sleights but they could be use for magic as well.

Apr 22, 2009
It's not really on what's being taught for this one, it's on who's teaching it. I'd much rather learn from Jason England than Brad Christian. Besides, I don't think you need to pay all that to learn a pass. Wait, Isn't there someone else who teaches the pass? Oh yeah, Jason England! (Hint hint)

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Jason is an amazing teacher, and a great guy. I had the privilege of meeting him at Magic-Con and spending time going over moves with him. Each of his one-on-ones are so packed full of knowledge, and to be able to save so much money by just buying 'Foundations' is insane!

Also, if you have any questions about any of the material, Mr. England is a very helpful guy. He responds to his PM's, and posts in the forums.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
It's not really on what's being taught for this one, it's on who's teaching it. I'd much rather learn from Jason England than Brad Christian.

I fail to see how the subject matter being taught is irrelevant. He isn't just asking who is the better teacher Brad Christian or Jason England he's asking which video he should get and asks for better suggestions if anyone has any. Considering that these two videos cover fairly different subject matter concerning card work, its difficult to ascertain what he is looking for exactly. What he wants to develop next is paramount to what should be recommended to him. Even if he were to ask simply Ninja 1 or Foundations that'd depend on what he's looking for. If he wants to develop his pass he'll be disappointed in Foundations regardless of Mr. England's teaching abilities. If he wants to develop his strike second deal he'll be disappointed in Ninja 1 regardless of Mr. Christian's eye make up being fantastic. (cheap shot I know)

He asked for suggestions and even if its just one or the other it hinges on what he's looking for first and foremost, Then he can be guided to who teaches that subject matter best and what the best material is out there.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Maybe I can make this easier for you: I have Ninja, I have watched it about five times, trying to pick out the specifics about the pass. I still don't have it down. I am currently waiting to be in a spot where I can download England's 1-on-1 for the pass.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Maybe I can make this easier for you: I have Ninja, I have watched it about five times, trying to pick out the specifics about the pass. I still don't have it down. I am currently waiting to be in a spot where I can download England's 1-on-1 for the pass.

You probably do not have it down because the pass he performs is AWEFUL. Just look at the trailer alone for Ninja, and you will see what I mean. He says "invisible" as he CLEARLY makes a crazy gesture to transpose the two packets. Just...so...hard...to...watch...

Maybe you do not want to learn gambling routines or sleights. Well, as I said before, if you are just starting out, then I seriously recommend the Easy to Master Card Miracles from Michael Ammar. He has 9 volumes out. And hey, just on vol. 2 alone, you learn Card Warp, Dr. Daley's Last Trick and Ambitious Card.

Mike

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results