Four Types of Mentalism

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
As you may know, I do stage hypnosis, I'm getting more into magic to try to mix the two. (Inspired by watch Derren Brown, I must admit). As I've been studying on Mentalism more and more, it seems to me that there are quite a few different kinds of Mentalism styles that are out now:

There's the "traditional" Mentalism which is all the stuff by Corinda and Annemann

There's the "new" Mentalism like Banachek and Jermay

There's the "psychological" Mentalism like Derren Brown

and finally there's the "hypnosis" Mentalism like McGill

Their methods of doing Mentalism tricks are all interchangeable to a degree, but the effect, the final product is slightly different from the other. Any thoughts on this?

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
That is what I said to myself while reading Jermay under that section, Jermay falls under the psychological mentalism, I would put that into a Suggestive category as well since that is really what hypnotism is.

I don't really see a "NEW" category so Banachek goes under the traditional, as well as Richard Osterlind, Max Maven and others

Sep 15, 2007
What about the stuff T.A Waters does and Gary Kurtz show is now all mentalism.

Mentalism can be great when done in the right setting and with the right atmosphere.
It can really suck too. I couldn't watch Derren Browns shows....I really didn't like them much. I enjoyed Banacheck though.
Later,
Snorri

Mr. Madman may I refer you too this thread.
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=20423

Personally I think this is a great topic that needs to be expanded on, if you do not see this then you need to open all three eyes.

Have you even sourced mentalism?
This guy only knew the famous guys of mentalism.

Corinda and Annemann did some amazing work which is not oldschool. Mentalism to my mind does not have new and oldschool stuff. Mentalists have just taken corindas and Annemann´s ideas and taken them further. Annemann´s Jinx is one of the pure starters of "New Age" mentalism.

Let me expand, from that magazine set mentalism took off, people started expanding ideas they would have never thought of. He was a genius a total madman in my mind.

Now, the expanders of that knowledge was taken by Banachek and Bill Goldsteen who actually have made mentalism very modern and interesting. Not that a guy is trying to read your mind and he has powers. They took it a step higher and made it seem impossible but still to the people leave an impression that they dont know anything more than them.

Luke Jermay is still in his youth of mentalism and still taking off. Although he has been succsessful he has many decades of mentalism ahead of him.

Derren Brown is another story. He has made everyone belive he has such powers but in reality he actually uses the same princibles as Annemann and Corinda did, he has just made the art very different from what we are used to see. He is on of the best showmen i know!

The last guy i know nothing about but i hope someone clears that up too.

Mikk

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results