Freeze the Effect

Nov 13, 2009
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share with you something I have been slow in learning but I am quickly learning how powerful it is. It is a secret I think often over looked. The principle is freezing a effect.

Micheal Ammar talked alot about this in his book The Magic Of Micheal Ammar and I have picked up alot of stuff from this great man. I have learned the power of the pause. I fear that in the past I have been to rushed in my effects.

When I start performing I get really excited and start going to fast. By nature I talk fast and have had to really slow down. I have picked up a couple of pointers from other magicians and from doing things the hard way.

1. When you are performing try to be calm. The more relaxed you are the more you will help the spectator enjoy the effect.

2. Pause at certian KEY POINTS! If I am performing invisable deck I alway's give a long pause before flipping over the reversed card. If you are performing sponge balls when they balls jump to the other persons hand pause let the effect and the laughs of suprise go. I have been so bad about this I have to physicaly stop my self from moving too quick through a effect I have seen a hundred times.

3. Remember you are doing the impossible in the spectators mind. Pause at the dramatic spots enjoy their suprise with them.

If you rush through a effect, you seem nervous and you don't exude confidence. Watch some of the great street and stage performers they always pause before something dramatic happens to build suspense. This is so important. Like I said I have been slow in learning it but as I learn to pause I have found it a powerful tool.

This is nothing new and the great magicians have been saying it for years. I have been trying to put into practice and found it a wonderful weapon in the magicians arsnal. I still have a lot to learn but I keep working on it one step at a time. I hope this helps you guy's and if you have any advice to add I would most appreciate it.

Rember to pause,

Christian

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Michael Ammar also talked about freezing the effect as in the impossible souvenir concept. For example, the mismade bill or the Annerversary Waltz giveaway. This freezes the effect forever because they are keeping this impossible object that will always spark conversation about you as a magician.

Feb 28, 2008
This so true... I think it's nerves that really keeps us going in an effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXRskVjo-sc

I did a slightly different version of Daniel Garcia's Satisfaction Garaunteed and every time I watch it I just cringe at how I just kept going after the big reveal near the ned.

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
I completely agree with this but would like to add a few things.

As I agree with taking due time at key points I don't think you should "slam the brakes" at key points. I am a firm believer in a "cadence" to an effect. If you want to take longer pauses do so by in tune with your cadence. When things hit... a rhythm to the astonishment. Hopefully this makes some sense.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
If you rush through a effect, you seem nervous and you don't exude confidence. Watch some of the great street and stage performers they always pause before something dramatic happens to build suspense. This is so important. Like I said I have been slow in learning it but as I learn to pause I have found it a powerful tool.

Christian:

Great post.

I would add that you should practice your routine slowly and practice pausing at the key points. That will help you slow down when performing and will also make the routine have a uniform cadence (which is necessary as vintageiLLusion pointed out). When we practice, we are usually so focused on practicing the slights (sometimes over and over at top speed) that we forget to practice the presentation.

Also, rushing through an effect is usually a result of nerves. However, slowing down your presentation can actually calm your nerves.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results