Freezer Burn by Chris Lafferty

Jan 16, 2008
Chrisiceebook-600.jpg

Ok, so here goes my first review ever.

First off, I would like to point out that Freezer Burn (hereonafter "FB") is a "situational effect" (quote Chr!s). Which means that this effect depends totally on the environment or situation you are presented with. For example, you wouldn't want to perform this as street or close-up magic, unless you want to wet yourself (both meanings implied).
What I mean is: This effect can be performed at people's homes, restaurants, or anywhere that is SUITABLE for the main prop of the effects: ICE.

Here is a rough breakdown of my thoughts on each of the effects: (rated out of 5 x *)

CHILL!
Method: * * * * (because it's just so simple)
Impact: * * * * *(depends on the way you present it)
Difficulty: ^ (half a star)

This is a powerful effect with such a simple method. Looks simple, IS simple. I won't describe the effect, but many variations can be tweaked out of this beautiful BEAST. Whack on my head for not thinking of this myself.

IGLOO
Method: * * * (simple, a bit risky)
Impact: * * * * * (KILLER)
Difficulty: * (1-2 sleights involved)

KILLER effect. With this, you can ABK. Nothing is so jaw-dropping as a chosen card dropping into a glass of water, instantly TRAPPED in a slab of ICE. Two sleights are recommended, but I prefer adding one more sleight, to make it look more Clean.

FREEZER BURN
Method: * * * * *
Impact: * * * * (in relative size to FB2.0, which is better imo)
Difficulty: * * *

Very clever, requires a prop that you all should have (not ice, it's related to the OTHER element). A bit difficult to "play around" with, considering fire is not something you should play around with. You CAN burn yourself practicing, so be careful!

FREEZER BURN 2
Method: * * * * *
Impact: * * * * *
Difficulty: * * (SO ...arg...i'm trying not to use the same word twice...EASY)

Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very clever. :D Pure genius. One motion, that's it. But it KILLS. This is FB1 on steroids. This will probably take a few tries to perfect, but it'll be worth it.

SLAMMER
Method: * * * * (very well thought out, compliments to Chris)
Impact: * * * * *
Difficulty: * * * * *

Hard to make it smooth. Still can't get the hang of it! Requires a few props, but nothing you can't handle (if you can handle ice, there's nothing much you can't handle). Go out, get the stuffs, go home, practice, then you will make history as the Ice Magician from now on. I swear, if I can get this right, I can swear by this. :cool:
Epic piece of art. No slush, no gel. REALLY.
Might be a bit angle-y at times, but ..again..if you practice, you will get this down in a matter of weeks.

Note:
Many of these effects are actually easier and SIMPLER than you may think (in the case of CHILL!, I almost burned the FB booklet that I printed out). Do NOT be disappointed by the simplicity!
Remember Brad Christian's words: SIMPLE. hits. HARD.

These effects may seem impractical, but to me, these are the tip of the ICEBERG (hahah) for ice magic. I cannot wait to play around with this all summer vacation long.

Thanks for reading, hope it helps. PM me if you need help or want more advice :D

::dAvid

May 25, 2009
I've been looking at this since it first came out and I'm very tempted to get it. I'm quite sure there are some gimmicks involved but I wasn't sure of the practicality of the effects.

Are there any setups required or is it completely impromptu?

D

Deleted member 2755

I've been looking at this since it first came out and I'm very tempted to get it. I'm quite sure there are some gimmicks involved but I wasn't sure of the practicality of the effects.

Are there any setups required or is it completely impromptu?

As long as you can take liquid and turn it into ice in your hands, everything is impromptu.:p

Seriously though, this is a good buck, but the practicality of the effects taught is not high. I'd recommend it for fun as it would be fun to use these effects on friends and family. If you're hoping to get some workers out of these though, you will be disappointed. This book is fun though. :)

-Doug

Jan 16, 2008
Yes, very very fun.
Remember, this is for you to play around with, twisting these to your own style, etc. Tip of the iceberg.:p

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hello!

Thanks for the kind words dude!

Doug, thanks for your comments. I actually use these effects professionally. My repertoire has evovled a bit since the FB days, but FB2, Chill and Igloo still get alot of performance time these days.

Thanks again!

CL

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Just a quick question, Is there any sort of chemical being used? Not asking for exposure, I'm planning on buying this either way - it looks excellent. I know its real ice and not slush powder, but there are chemicals that can accomplish this.

Jan 16, 2008
AsherF do you mean what you see as the spectator or as a magician?
If you want to know what your audience will, just go check out the DeeChristophermagic site or DevilsAp. =)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results