Friend or Foe?

Look guys. I know I'm a newbie. I'm getting there. But I'm just wondering how I see people fresher than me making friends with the creators. I don't see how this works. I have a few posts, I have picture albums. I only have my one friend who reffered me to this site when he discovered it. Tell me what you know/think.

Watch everyone else fail first, so you can get it right the first time
- Anonymous

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Look guys. I know I'm a newbie. I'm getting there. But I'm just wondering how I see people fresher than me making friends with the creators. I don't see how this works. I have a few posts, I have picture albums. I only have my one friend who reffered me to this site when he discovered it. Tell me what you know/think.

Not sure what you mean by "fresher," but if you're talking about people who have more experience then it's because they are getting out there and trying to meet people. I've become friends with Wayne and Dana by going to a few of Wayne's shows, signing parties, and a lecture.

It doesn't matter how experienced you are. Just make an effort to try and meet them. The greats in magic won't come to you.

A great way to meet pros is to go to a convention. There are always bound to be a few big names in magic at large conventions, so just do your research. Here in the Bay Area we had the Golden Gate Gathering, and although I wasn't able to attend I heard Chad Nelson, Dan and Dave, and Ricky Smith all made appearances.

Hope this helps.

David

David

Oct 28, 2007
i don't understand your question are you asking how those people who are (fresher?!) then you make friends with the artist, well thay just send a friend request i am sure they will except it.

i don't understand your question are you asking how those people who are (fresher?!) then you make friends with the artist, well thay just send a friend request i am sure they will except it.

Sorry for being difficult to understand, by "fresher" I meant newer.
I know what you all mean about meeting them in person, but I looked on their profiles and I saw a bunch of people saying how amazed they are to be accepted as friends. I have a friend who I have known for several years offsite and he is even friends with the CEO - having never met him in person or event attended a live performance or anything.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Sorry for being difficult to understand, by "fresher" I meant newer.
I know what you all mean about meeting them in person, but I looked on their profiles and I saw a bunch of people saying how amazed they are to be accepted as friends. I have a friend who I have known for several years offsite and he is even friends with the CEO - having never met him in person or event attended a live performance or anything.

... The friend thing on Theory11 is like Myspace. People send requests, and people accept them.

Just because your real life friend has Jon Raiker on his friends list doesn't mean Jon has ever spoken to him (online or in real life). It just means that he accepted a friend request. Big whoop.

I've become friends with Wayne and Dana by going to a few of Wayne's shows, signing parties, and a lecture.

It doesn't matter how experienced you are. Just make an effort to try and meet them. The greats in magic won't come to you.

Okay i agree on that but how could someone who dosent live in the USA and cant travel there that easily get friends with e.g Wayne and Dana!?
I think there could be a way for everyone to get to know the master minds of Magic. I mean that was why T11 was made, right? To get the best minds in magic together and make magic a better place. And magic isnt only in the US continent. Its around the world so everyone should get the Fair opportunity to meet the Best mind in magic.
( By now im even confusing my selfe :) )

So what could be the way to get to know the crew?
(Btw sorry for the OT but i think it goes in to the topic, i think)

M.P

Okay i agree on that but how could someone who dosent live in the USA and cant travel there that easily get friends with e.g Wayne and Dana!?
I think there could be a way for everyone to get to know the master minds of Magic. I mean that was why T11 was made, right? To get the best minds in magic together and make magic a better place. And magic isnt only in the US continent. Its around the world so everyone should get the Fair opportunity to meet the Best mind in magic.
( By now im even confusing my selfe :) )

So what could be the way to get to know the crew?
(Btw sorry for the OT but i think it goes in to the topic, i think)

M.P

Hey, it's not just people living out of the country that can't make it to live performances and gatherings. Some of us just don't have the time or resources to pursue what we like. So this is the closest we can get.

Think First, Act Later
-Anonymous

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
sounds like you're making a bigger deal out of this than you should be..

both lee asher and katie egleston - big names around here are both my 'friends' and they both sent the request to me, i've never even come close to meeting them, never been in contact with either of them in the forums.

it doesn't realy mean anything. now it's a bit different if your 'fresher' friends have been having huge conversations with someone like wayne houchin (even that's not that big a deal).. and you know what? i bet if you just tried to send them messages, ask them questions, try to establish something, they'd be all for it.

[/"problem"]

Wait a sec, since when do people accept other people as friends by their magic skills?
You could be an amazing card magician but a terrible friend, vice versa, or you can be both, it doesn't matter. The "creators", as you call them, are human beings just like me and you, and I don't think any of them judges a friend by what he/she can do with a deck of cards.

Thanks

Thanks for the input all of you. I appreciate everyone putting in their two cents worth to this. I really don't mind not being friends with the head honchos, but when I saw less experienced members seeming to get attention, it made me feel left out.

To Blink and Jakeh, everyone would appreciate it if you two would stop making out in my thread.

To M_dalgashon you kinda stated the obvious by saying what you did. Do you really think that the creators would spit on the little noobs mastering the ambitious card routine, as pitiful as they are? No. The reason they "created" this site is to make money, make friends, teach magic, etc. etc. etc. (and make more money).

You know, you should just think.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results