Friend's Surprise Party Tonight...

Dec 14, 2007
USA
Hey there,

So I was inivited to one of my friends' surprise birthday party tonight. The cool thing is that I actually started talking to her though performing magic for her and a couple of her girl friends. I know that someone's going to end up asking me to whip out the cards tonight. It doesn't necessarily have to be card magic though.

My question is this: I own many effects and DVD's (far too many to list) from the magic community, and need to know what some great ones to perform for tonight could be. I realize this depends mostly on my individual style, and my experience level, but it couldn't hurt to get a little feedback on it anyway. Any suggestions on any effects to perform?

I suppose I can add that I would like to use an effect that enables me to really connect with her (or anyone else present). I need something that can leave a huge reaction and a great impression. Maybe this could get me started on party magic. Who knows?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 28, 2008
If you could give a list of effects you perform regularly then we could maybe suggest the ones that would be the most appropriate.

Even though you say you have a large number of effects and DVD's I assume you don't regularly use all the material and it's impossible to learn anything new in the timeframe so basically you just need to pick the nest of what you already know.

I suppose I can add that I would like to use an effect that enables me to really connect with her

No effect will allow you to connect to somebody, only your presentation can do that. If you present the effect well that you can get a real connection with the simplest effect.

Dec 14, 2007
USA
If you could give a list of effects you perform regularly then we could maybe suggest the ones that would be the most appropriate.

Even though you say you have a large number of effects and DVD's I assume you don't regularly use all the material and it's impossible to learn anything new in the timeframe so basically you just need to pick the nest of what you already know.

No effect will allow you to connect to somebody, only your presentation can do that. If you present the effect well that you can get a real connection with the simplest effect.

Hey Squirrel,

Thanks for the fast reply. I'd rather other forum users just suggest effects, as I feel listing my entire list of effects would be too long and unimportant. If someone has an effect they can suggest, I think it would be easier to check if I have it or not (I'll know off the top of my head), and if I don't to look into it.

When you say no effect will allow me to connect to somebody, I disagree. There are plenty of effects that, if presented correctly and efficiently, it can really help you to connect with your spectator - whether it be mentally or not. The true magic happens in the mind, and for that to happen I believe that you actually must connect with someone for the effect to be pulled off just right.

Thanks for the kind advice!

I think if we were to name any effect, this could go on for a long time.

The fact that the party is tonight I would suggest performing on of your regular effects.

Yes you can learn an effect in several hours, but you cannot perfect it, and you should not be performing an effect if you have not perfected it.

In saying that, what sort of magic do you perform, and what sort of impact do you want to send off?

Im trying to work out if you are doing this to 'pick up' or if its more impress.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Hey there,

So I was inivited to one of my friends' surprise birthday party tonight. The cool thing is that I actually started talking to her though performing magic for her and a couple of her girl friends. I know that someone's going to end up asking me to whip out the cards tonight. It doesn't necessarily have to be card magic though.

My question is this: I own many effects and DVD's (far too many to list) from the magic community, and need to know what some great ones to perform for tonight could be. I realize this depends mostly on my individual style, and my experience level, but it couldn't hurt to get a little feedback on it anyway. Any suggestions on any effects to perform?

I suppose I can add that I would like to use an effect that enables me to really connect with her (or anyone else present). I need something that can leave a huge reaction and a great impression. Maybe this could get me started on party magic. Who knows?

Thanks in advance!

well I think that you want to gain "rapport" with her, so you coul google that to find out more ;)

rather than suggesting you some good tricks ill tell you something you could use in your performances...

Emotional hooks, and by this I mean that the patter you have for your tricks somehow have some meaning for her or that makes her remember something while listening and viewing your tricks...

Let's imagine for a moment that you start a ACR where you only are saying "and this is how you make your card to go to the top" well the effect is pretty impressive for laymen just like it is, but with a "emotional hook" you can get a lot more of your spectator attention"

For example, you are doing the same ACR but this time you are using patter like "you dont have a boyfriend right? dont worry, we have 54 guys right here(you show deck) and one of them is going to be the lucky guy who is going to get a date with you....do you have a card already? great, what is his name? ( most of the time the girl is going to give the card the name of a past boyfriend or someone the already like or if you are lucky, your name;), so there you have the firts emotional hook)"

Now the girl interest in your magic is going to be greater because part of her feelings and history is involved with your magic...

You dont have to use the same patter, it is just an example of what you coukd do...

have a nice day man and enjoy the party.

(BTW, dont "force" magic, if they look like they dont have interest in it for the moment, stop the trick there and perform for later)

GL mate:D

PiotrJC

Elite Member
Dec 7, 2007
Hey, Personally i would recommend 5 SPEED. Every time i do it i get a great reaction. Also if you have some sponge balls, people seem to love them. One more thing i would recommend is bring some loops, you never know when you can use them CHEERS and good luck :D

Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
i always say this.... becuase I love the reactions for this particular trick, it also has audience participation which can help on the connection your particularly trying to make... head on over to waynehouchin.com and find the trick called frenchkiss
its easy to figure out and pretty easy but for a layman its great :D here the link to wayne houchin tv http://www.waynehouchin.com/whtv.html its a great opener

Jul 14, 2008
I think my list so far for you to perform is impromtu tricks such as: Five Speed (you may need a small gimmick), ACR, 2 Card Monte, Thread by Wayne Houchelin and so many more. You may want to bring a sharpie so that the birthday girl can sign and whatever you do will be a present so that she will remember for the rest of the years.

Dec 18, 2008
Chicago, IL
Do the effects you are the best at. The most important thing is that you have fun with it. If you are having fun, then your spectators will have fun.

To be more specific to your question I would suggest always starting with a simple effect that involves the spectator. The Biddle trick is quick, simple, and it happens in the hands of the spectator. An Ambitious card routine, 2 card monte, any type of transposition, and add a few color changes into the mix and you should be good to go. Again the key is to keep it simple and fun. If you want to connect with a girl make her laugh and wow her, don't try to freak her out with an effect.

My favorite transposition is below. This always gets huge reactions. "I had the card in my hand, what the??!!!"

Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1bVhh49Vo

Apr 28, 2008
Hey Squirrel,

Thanks for the fast reply. I'd rather other forum users just suggest effects, as I feel listing my entire list of effects would be too long and unimportant. If someone has an effect they can suggest, I think it would be easier to check if I have it or not (I'll know off the top of my head), and if I don't to look into it.

When you say no effect will allow me to connect to somebody, I disagree. There are plenty of effects that, if presented correctly and efficiently, it can really help you to connect with your spectator - whether it be mentally or not. The true magic happens in the mind, and for that to happen I believe that you actually must connect with someone for the effect to be pulled off just right.

Thanks for the kind advice!

Fair enough, the only reason I advise against this is because you often get a list of random effects people arbitrarily come out with. e.g. 'Thread is teh awesome use it', with no real thought as to why it's appropriate, it's just the latest trick they've come across that they think is cool.

Here's effects I usually use, there's no real reason to use them above any others but they work well for me.

In a quieter setting where I have a table, I frequently use Dan and Dave's collectors, Reset, Thank you LePaul.

At a noisy party I would go with Ambitious Card, 2 Card Monte, Lapse, Role play (Daniel Madison), Hoffzy Osbourne (Dan and Dave) and FourPlay (Chad Nelson). If I have a duplicate I also do the standard 2 card transposition.

I perhaps didn't explain myself too well on the second point, I was simply saying that an effect by itself is not enough, it needs good presentation behind it to connect with somebody. A well selected effect could certainly enhance this connection. You obviously understand this, unfortunatley many magicians do not.

Dec 14, 2007
USA
Wow, thanks for the crazy fast and extremely interesting advice!

Some of those tricks I had just forgot I had known.

RDChopper - You are a genious. You have just inspired me to work out an entire ACR routine. I now have a finale and everything. In just ten minutes, I already have a sick patter and routine planned. Thanks for that! I think I'll take that advice and apply it to all of my tricks for now on. I'll see how it goes. :)

hector_cervantes - Oh! Thanks for reminding me about that one! I simply love this trick. It's so simple to perform (and, yes, very easy to figure out from a magician's perspective), yet is so powerful. Thanks for the important reminder! I should easily be able to work that into the night at some point.

Thanks to everyone for the links and trick suggestions. I have a few great effects that I already had known, but had simply just forgot about. I'll take those and play around with them tonight.

Maybe I'll record a performance or two and post it up... let you guys know exactly how it went down.

Dec 14, 2007
USA
Fair enough, the only reason I advise against this is because you often get a list of random effects people arbitrarily come out with. e.g. 'Thread is teh awesome use it', with no real thought as to why it's appropriate, it's just the latest trick they've come across that they think is cool.

Here's effects I usually use, there's no real reason to use them above any others but they work well for me.

In a quieter setting where I have a table, I frequently use Dan and Dave's collectors, Reset, Thank you LePaul.

At a noisy party I would go with Ambitious Card, 2 Card Monte, Lapse, Role play (Daniel Madison), Hoffzy Osbourne (Dan and Dave) and FourPlay (Chad Nelson). If I have a duplicate I also do the standard 2 card transposition.

I perhaps didn't explain myself too well on the second point, I was simply saying that an effect by itself is not enough, it needs good presentation behind it to connect with somebody. A well selected effect could certainly enhance this connection. You obviously understand this, unfortunatley many magicians do not.

I totally understand what you're saying. Luckily, I have already received so much great advice and ideas from this thread already, that there doesn't seem to be a lack of explanation as of to why to perform an effect. I'll definitely remember to put good presentation to the effects, and to take those tricks into consideration, and thank you for your time and very helpful thoughts on them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results