FROZEN by Adam Grace

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Hi! I wanted to contribute something to the forums, so .. here I am! reviewing this new effect from the mind of adam grace.

FROZEN

"The original VIdeo clip Adam Grace prepared on his own web site three years ago drew thousands of emails from magicians.

Grace laid a simple quarter on a chair and blew on it. The quarter slowly frosted over white and froze. When picked up by a spectator the coin was bitter cold and still white from frost.

From that point Brand Christian and Adam worked on the method for two years. They came up against problem after problem,until finally one night hanging out at the Magic Castle, they stumbled upon a hidden idea. And the idea worked, to make frozen workable..."

Well, that's what the back of my dvd says....Let's get on to some points of the dvd...

DVD QUALITY: well the dvd looked nice and I hadnt got a problem with it, so it's ok.

THE GIMMICK: Yes, it does need a gimmick, the good part in this, is that the things needed are cheap and easy to find, hey, you could even have some in your house!, who knows....

IS IT DANGEROUS?: well, even the invisble deck can be dangerous if you dont handle it properly... Jokes aside, Yes it is dangerous, but only if you are a fool and you start playing around with it.NO, you cannot put it in your eyes,NO, you cannot lick it, NO, you cannot use it as a weapon.... well, just use adam advice and you will not die.

(it is not "that" dangerous, but if used improperly there is some risk you could get frostbite)(the ellusionist page is right, even flashpaper can be more dangeous that this.)

PERFOMANCES: The dvd includes a lot of performances of Adam doing Frozen, so you can catch all the details behind the perfomance and the routine, I liked this a lot , so I suggest to view this clips over and over again, It will teach you a lot about frozen.

THE TRICK ITSELF: OK, here is where I am going to write quite a bit, so I hope you are still reading...

Well the trick is nice,it's original and I congratulate Adam Grace for the thinking behind it, but there where some issues where I had some troubles with...

STREET MAGIC: well, (on a personal opinion) it would be kind of hard for me to perform this in the street, as stated before, in the napkin version you have 15 min(more or less) to perform the effect, so for me, it would be like,walking to the bus stop, taking the bus, going to the mall, and have like 5 more minutes to find someone and perform some of my routines and then closing with frozen...

(yeah I could use it as a opener, but adam is right, it is too strong to have as an opener, you would need to have some very strong routines or effects in order to keep the "flow" going, if you know what I mean...)

but hey! not all is lost, there is another version, a "hands free" version,well, lets talk a little about it..

Well, this also needs a gimmick, but the good thing here is that with this version you don't have a time limit like with the other one and you can perform it whenever you like! but the downside is that the gimmick is somewhat bulky and you will probably going to need a jacket to hide it, the downfall for me, is that where I live, it's kinda hot all the year, so this is another limitant for me...

so, the question here is..."where and when am i going to perform frozen then?"

well, if you have a backpack with you,you could take the gimmick with you, go to a bathroom, prepare it and then perform it anywhere, so there is one of the solutions for the time limit(althought I haven't come with a excuse to go to a party with my backpack), but if you are in your house and you have some friends, sure! you can perform it without trouble....

DIFFICULTY: well, the trick pretty much does itself,but you need to be a good actor in order for this trick to really work, if you don't have presentation skills or just dont like to use patter in your tricks, well , I dont recommend this to you, yeah! the trick is pretty visual, but you are throwing this to the garbage if you are just like "hey! look at this! isn't it cool?" the trick is worth more than that...

Another thing about the performance of the trick is that you have to do a little sleight for it to work, but it is really really easy and with the presentation that adam uses, you have tons of misdirection to do it, so yeah, I do think that this trick is easy so there is another good point for you....

SOME FINAL THOUGHTS:

well, why did I bought this? I do a lot of card magic and I wanted to do something different, so this trick right here got my attention, and I bought it... I have to be sincere though, I am going to have kinda a hard time trying to incorporate this to my routines, considering the thing with the jacket and the time restriction, but I have to agree with a lot of people that this trick does looks awesome, it really looks like you are freezing the coin for christ sakes!

another point here, and read very carefully this part, THIS REVIEW IS MY OPINION, it maybe will not work for me, but it will maybe work for you, and if it does, you will love it, believe me when I tell you that.

So that's it, there you have my first review, congratulations to adam grace for the awesome thinking, and let's keep the good work!

BTW, I dont like putting something like "well this trick is 9.5/10" because Im just a teenager that does tricks and I don't think that I am THAT GOOD to start criticising other magicians tricks or inventions, adam grace took a long time creating this masterpiece so I am just going to give you guys my personal views on the trick and things that will and will not work for me.

Cheers and have a nice day everyone.(any feedback is greatly appreaciated) =)

Feb 22, 2008
I live in the netherlands, and here it's possible to wear a jacket most of the time =P, This is one of those effects I want to perform when the moment is there. Not just hey can I show you a trick, but just wait till someone aks for a miracle. So my question. Is there any possibility to keep it up my sleeve or in a pocket of a vest, so I can perform it at a party at the end or something like that?

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
Pretty nice review despite the gramatical errors. Way to hit the points. I got what I needed to know.

Cheers

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I live in the netherlands, and here it's possible to wear a jacket most of the time =P, This is one of those effects I want to perform when the moment is there. Not just hey can I show you a trick, but just wait till someone aks for a miracle. So my question. Is there any possibility to keep it up my sleeve or in a pocket of a vest, so I can perform it at a party at the end or something like that?

If you wanna to do the hands free version, then this is the trick for you :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results