Funniest "False memories"

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
So we all know that certain magic tricks rely on sort of manipulating or even "erasing" parts of people's memory. For example, the effect "Double Cross" and it's predecessor, the ashes trick rely on this idea.

However, sometimes people remember entire tricks incorrectly, making them sound much more impressive than they really are, which can be a good thing or a bad thing.

For example, as high school went on, I slowly gained the reputation of "The magic guy" which I accepted. But, there was this kid in the grade above me named JR who had already cemented himself as our high school's "magic guy". I never got to meet him until junior year but up until that point, I heard all these stories of the effects he performed. I could tell by their descriptions that they were describing classic "street magic" tricks like the ambitious card, hand sandwich, two card monte, and angle z just to name a few. But the way they described them made it sound like he was performing these impossible miracles, and I knew they were describing them wrong because what they were telling me was literally impossible. But it got him a reputation so I guess it worked out.

For me, I performed Woody Aragon's Blessed Poker for my friend and minutes later she said I never touched the deck, let her shuffle it in any way she wanted, and let her deal and yet I always got a royal flush. If you know how the trick works, you'd know that a lot of this isn't the case. It doesn't use a full deck and the method doesn't allow for the magician to be dealt a royal flush, only a full house.

So yeah, do you have any stories of spectators misremembering a trick of yours, making it sound like a genuine miracle? Or maybe they got the entire thing wrong, describing an entirely different trick from what you performed.

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
i preformed perfect square for some friends and later they asked me if i could show them the trick where the cube floats and solves itself in the air :D

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Mar 15, 2017
It's really funny, because I was practicing the Erdnase colour change with just the back of the cards, not even the faces, and one guy was like, "Did the cards just change?!?!"

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Its happened to me a few times. Unfortunately, I think I am falsely remembering exactly what happened.

All I know is that the spectators often say things like "You didn't even touch it!", when I very clearly did.

It's one of my favorite things to exploit in magic, as it really acts as a good cover, and is all psychological, so I'm not worried about messing up.

Oct 20, 2018
I performed card to mouth, the one where as they push it in it appears hanging out of your mouth. The specter swore that she had the card in her hand when it appeared.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results