Gaff cards... what's your opinion?

Nov 11, 2009
I posted a thread a couple weeks ago on gaff card ideas and got some people saying that they didnt like gaff cards

so I just wanted to know who here shares that opinion and who doesnt

I personally like them and think they can be very powerful when used right. What do you think?

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Depends what kind... There are gaff cards which can do wonders... such as... Split Decision by Joshua Jay and... Twilight Angels by PH...
But there are some which are just.. over board for my taste. I really dont like the ones where people see them and just go "damn.. cool printed cards" like the Battery thing and SEXY thing in the UltraGaff deck.
I use gaffs which are subtlely out of the ordinary and retains a natural feel to it... if you get what I mean.

Nov 7, 2009
I like gaffed reveal cards... Thats it really. I suppose I like cards like Twilight Angels to though. I mean I bought an Ultragaff deck just for the What lies beneath trick.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Whether you use and how you use gaff cards is a matter of personal preference. Personally, I love gaffed cards. I have a large collection of the "standard" gaffs such as blank back, blank face, double back, double blank and double face as well as some specialty gaff decks such as the Ellusionist Red/Blue/Ghost gaffs and the Blue Bicycle Gaff Deck (also known as the Packet Killer deck because it can be purchased with the Packet Killer DVD by Simon Lovell). I have some great DVDs on gaff cards including Packet Killer (most of the cards are used as "invisible" gaffs), Blank by Craig Petty (as the name would suggest, effects using blank cards) and Army of 52 (handling for Ellusionist gaff decks).

I agree that the "visible" gaffs do indicate a "specially printed" card. The challenge is to create a routine that assures the audience that the specially printed card wasn't that way to begin with (such as Twilight Angels or effects where cards turn blank) or that the other parts of your effect make it impossible.

That being said, my card routines have a balance of effects with gaffed cards (which also require slight of hand), effects using slight of hand and self-working effects. If you use a variety of methods, the audience cannot suspect any particular method.

Mar 25, 2009
Daniel Madison said:
As a performer I
love to use acceptable gimmicks and gaffs, I highlight the word acceptable as most purchasable gaff cards can’t be played
off as actually affected cards, such as the gaff card that sees the ink on the index smeared across the face of the card, it
may look visually impressive, but as soon as the card is inspected, one can instantly see that the card was printed this
way, and it’s the same for at least 90% of gaff playing cards. I love the idea that the magician can affect his cards in
certain unexplainable ways, but it’s only fair that the affected card be handed out, acceptable and fully examinable for
the effects a magician chooses to use ultimately express and reflect who that magician is, therefore if your spectator hears
that he/she can’t keep the effected card (as you have to use it again on the next spectator) or even inspect it, all
credibility is questioned, and even worse if the gaff is inspected and revealed to be nothing more than a trick card, the
magician will forever become a trickery kind of guy who uses tricky cards and not an illusionist who can actually affect
cards. I’m sure you will have seen the printed burnt cards you can get and I’m also quite confident to predict that they
have never been used, and I know there is an audience of magicians out there who printed gimmicks are ideal for who I
wouldn’t judge for their purchase, as some magicians do still strive to be that Pappa Daniel’s-esque type of wet tricky
magician…

I know it isnt shortest asnwer.

Mar 29, 2008
After talking with a good friend of mine, and award winning magician, about an idea I had on gimmicks; he decided to write this. He sent it to me to put up on the forum, but it was at a time I left the group. As of recent, had this published in a Canadian Magic Magazine. I have been waiting for the right time to post it, I think this may be it. He gave me permission to reprint it here

To Gimmick or not to Gimmick by Alan Grose:

I’m not much into internet chat sites of any kind because the truth is I don’t know who I’m speaking to on the other end. You may very well be “casting pearls before swine.” Nevertheless this was put to paper because of a conversation I had with a good friend. Yes he’s magician too, but he’s a good friend first. We were talking about the use of gimmicks in magic effects. I have two passions in my life, magic and combat training. Believe it or not, the two are quite intertwined. Sparring is done far better when you’re warmed up. Magic is just the same. You’re better after you’ve performed a few effects. But it goes much further than that....

My friend was debating if he should incorporate a gimmick into an effect he was working on. Before I go on I should add the individual in question has an arsenal of sleights that would make Darwin Ortiz jealous (Yes, he is talking about me). If you don’t know who Darwin Ortiz is, stop reading this and buy Strong Magic. Read it then come back. Done? Good stuff. Let’s carry on. I think his apprehension was due to the fact he’s a bit of a purist.(Not really a purist, I just like to keep it clean when I can) I am too, so I can completely empathize. However I relate the use of a gimmick back to combat skills.

In any kind of combat training, the last thing you get to use is a weapon. Any thoughts on why that is? Well first of all there would be no respect for it, and therefore the risk of misuse is high. In weapons training, misuse would parallel death. As melodramatic as that sounds it is a fact. You develop expertise in empty hand combat long before you ever go near a weapon. That way you already have acquired the discipline to give the weapon the respect it deserves.

Magic is no different. If you were simply handed a weapon (gimmick), you would have no respect for it. The risk of misuse is high, and that would surely mean “death” for the performer. You would lack discipline. You need to develop your expertise in sleight of hand long before you even consider using a gimmick. A great quote that parallels both magic and combat is this, “When you have a weapon, act as if you are unarmed. Conversely when you are unarmed, act as if you have a weapon.”

In magic that’s what you do. You don’t showcase the gimmick do you? How can you act like you’re unarmed if you don’t know what it’s like to BE unarmed? Good sleight of hand can allow you to take your audience “down the garden path” in the false hope that what you did was accomplished by some form of a gimmick. Since there will be none to find, the only conclusion they will come to is what you did has no explanation. Isn’t that what you’re trying to achieve?

Once this has been accomplished you are in the perfect position to ring in a gimmick. Because now whatever you do will be interpreted as a miracle. You’ve just proved you can perform magic without any additional means. You’ve acted like you’re armed when you weren’t. For your next effect you will perform like you’re unarmed. Except you’ll have a weapon. And it doesn’t get any cooler than that.

In the end, I did create a gimmick for the effect I am working on, and it makes the handling SO deceptive. Gimmicks can help your magic when used properly, but gimmicks can limit your magic...loved what Madison said about acceptable gimmicks, couldn't agree more. I think, for the most part, gimmicks should be as hidden as your pass.

After talking with a good friend of mine, and award winning magician, about an idea I had on gimmicks; he decided to write this. He sent it to me to put up on the forum, but it was at a time I left the group. As of recent, had this published in a Canadian Magic Magazine. I have been waiting for the right time to post it, I think this may be it. He gave me permission to reprint it here

To Gimmick or not to Gimmick by Alan Grose:

I’m not much into internet chat sites of any kind because the truth is I don’t know who I’m speaking to on the other end. You may very well be “casting pearls before swine.” Nevertheless this was put to paper because of a conversation I had with a good friend. Yes he’s magician too, but he’s a good friend first. We were talking about the use of gimmicks in magic effects. I have two passions in my life, magic and combat training. Believe it or not, the two are quite intertwined. Sparring is done far better when you’re warmed up. Magic is just the same. You’re better after you’ve performed a few effects. But it goes much further than that....

My friend was debating if he should incorporate a gimmick into an effect he was working on. Before I go on I should add the individual in question has an arsenal of sleights that would make Darwin Ortiz jealous (Yes, he is talking about me). If you don’t know who Darwin Ortiz is, stop reading this and buy Strong Magic. Read it then come back. Done? Good stuff. Let’s carry on. I think his apprehension was due to the fact he’s a bit of a purist.(Not really a purist, I just like to keep it clean when I can) I am too, so I can completely empathize. However I relate the use of a gimmick back to combat skills.

In any kind of combat training, the last thing you get to use is a weapon. Any thoughts on why that is? Well first of all there would be no respect for it, and therefore the risk of misuse is high. In weapons training, misuse would parallel death. As melodramatic as that sounds it is a fact. You develop expertise in empty hand combat long before you ever go near a weapon. That way you already have acquired the discipline to give the weapon the respect it deserves.

Magic is no different. If you were simply handed a weapon (gimmick), you would have no respect for it. The risk of misuse is high, and that would surely mean “death” for the performer. You would lack discipline. You need to develop your expertise in sleight of hand long before you even consider using a gimmick. A great quote that parallels both magic and combat is this, “When you have a weapon, act as if you are unarmed. Conversely when you are unarmed, act as if you have a weapon.”

In magic that’s what you do. You don’t showcase the gimmick do you? How can you act like you’re unarmed if you don’t know what it’s like to BE unarmed? Good sleight of hand can allow you to take your audience “down the garden path” in the false hope that what you did was accomplished by some form of a gimmick. Since there will be none to find, the only conclusion they will come to is what you did has no explanation. Isn’t that what you’re trying to achieve?

Once this has been accomplished you are in the perfect position to ring in a gimmick. Because now whatever you do will be interpreted as a miracle. You’ve just proved you can perform magic without any additional means. You’ve acted like you’re armed when you weren’t. For your next effect you will perform like you’re unarmed. Except you’ll have a weapon. And it doesn’t get any cooler than that.

In the end, I did create a gimmick for the effect I am working on, and it makes the handling SO deceptive. Gimmicks can help your magic when used properly, but gimmicks can limit your magic...loved what Madison said about acceptable gimmicks, couldn't agree more. I think, for the most part, gimmicks should be as hidden as your pass.

I like this... I like this a lot.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
That's very nice. Very, very nice. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Though, technically, the pass doesn't necessarily demand to be hidden, it just demands misdirection.

Mar 29, 2008
Though, technically, the pass doesn't necessarily demand to be hidden, it just demands misdirection.

Umm, I don't agree with that fully - misdirection does make it hidden, so your statement doesn't make full sense. However, good technique still needs to be provided, misdirection just helps render it more "invisible".

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Umm, I don't agree with that fully - misdirection does make it hidden, so your statement doesn't make full sense. However, good technique still needs to be provided, misdirection just helps render it more "invisible".

When I said it didn't need to be hidden, I meant that it doesn't have to be executed so that if the spec was burning your hands, they would catch you out.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I am normally not one for gimmicks. I have nothing against them, it's just that if you become a guy/girl who uses them to often, it can get a bit annoying. Specially if you are somebodies house and you don't have your gaffed coins or gaffed cards or gaffed whatever. You just end up looking silly and the other thing is that some gimmicks don't look like "magic". They look like gimmicks.

Mar 29, 2008
Hey TheatreHead - I actually forgot that I wrote:

In the end...Gimmicks should be as hidden as your pass.

That was my actual point - that proper use - for the most part - (because some effects alllow you to have the double backer selected, blank faces, etc - bring the gimmick into play - which is a good thing, but I wouldn't call it "proper" or normal usage of the gimmick. Anyhow, I believe what Ortiz says - don't use gimmicks if you don't want people to know they exist - and I use them) this will allow gimmicks to be invisible as the pass is - because although they can easily be detected when investigated or audiences are "burning" (I mean, for example, how easy is it to ruin a ID when someone gets aggressive or looks under the "face up" spread) that proper use and handling of the gimmick makes it unnoticeable...LIKE A PASS when done properly - I assumed misdirection, proper technique, and all the other details!

So, thanks for the bump? How did this thread go from gimmicks to pass talk because of one line unclarified...I swear, it is like writing to lawyers some days!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results