Gaff Decks

Oct 1, 2008
Hey all! I'm new to all these magic. Just came upon something known as gaff decks. Just want to have some information on this subject. Mind anyone explain this to me? ;)

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
If used correctly, gaff decks can be a powerful tool. Since you are just starting out, I highly suggest that you stay away from them. For three reasons. If you start using them now, you will only be exposed to gaffed tricks and they could become a crutch. You may not be able to perform the sleights correctly since you are just starting out. And in order to do gaff deck tricks, its best for the tricks to be backed up by non gaff deck tricks.

Once you do get experience, I do recommend getting the Ultragaff deck.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Tricks with gaff cards come in all shapes and sizes, limited only by what you can create! For example, with gaff cards such as blank cards, you can have many effects that involve a disappearing card. With a card with a different coloured back, you can have changing colour tricks. Other gaffs will create effects such as blurring a card or distorting the card in some way. Some gaffs are for fairly well known tricks such as Twisted Sisters or Dream of Aces. Others, for example the Ultragaff set of gaff cards, are made for specific effects, listed here: http://www.ellusionist.com/product/...ic/ultragaff+tricks+&+effects+training+dvd.do

Really, it depends on the gaff card - some are made with specific effects in mind, some are very general and can be used for many effects. Hope this helps ^.^

Sep 20, 2008
Mind- since the Ultragaff is mentioned, does anyone own it? is it better than the original red/ghost gaff deck?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hrm, tough to say. You would at the very least need duplicates, but aside from that, you could probably substitute different sleights for the ace vanishes - whether it would lose the visual aspect is another question altogether, though, I don't think it would be as nice. I can't see it happening without dupes at all though.

Still, I don't think the gaffs are a problem for DoA, because the aces they'll want to examine are the aces which appear, which are of course completely normal, and there shouldn't be even a question of dupes since they'll only focus on the aces, and not the deck; from there, it's the normal matter of removing gaff cards from the deck.

Sinful07, yeah, general consensus is that Ultragaff is better than the normal gaff deck; a lot of the complaints around the original gaff deck were that too many gaffs were made as revelations, and some more were unrealistic cards (one word: zipper). The Ultragaff cards are more creative, more out there, and more unique. That said, if you prefer more classic effects such as Twisted Sisters and Dream of Aces, or if you prefer utility gaffs such as double backers, blank cards, different coloured backs and so forth, the traditional gaff deck contains more of those than Ultragaff does. As a further sidenote, if you're only looking for the latter group of utility gaffs, you can get gaff decks of just those types of cards also. The Ultragaff gaff cards are by and large more creative and unique which require more selling that traditional effects.

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah i realised most of them are revalations. Though im still struggling on how to incorporate those 'broken' pips in my ghost gaff deck. (damn it.)

i think the zipper card is what really turned me off the red gaff deck. probably why i bought the ghost gaff instead (and i dont regret anything lol)

on a sidenote- i looked at Ultragaff's gallery. i dont see the point, there were a number of cards that had the backs sort of... disfigured (e.g. more angels, Stretched angel wings etc)

is there any effects that concern those, if so are they effective? cause frankly im getting a buzzing noise in my head with regards on how to incorporate those into a routine. lol.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
The routines around those are all stuff like moving the angels one by one into one corner. If you have a look on YouTube, the performance videos from the Ultragaff DVD's are on there for many of the tricks, so have a look around - I stumbled upon them a while ago, so I couldn't tell you how to actually find them though, only that they're there.

Sep 20, 2008
Cheers- great help.

on a sidenote- didnt mean to hijack your thread, but gaff decks are for intermidiate users. though on some gaff cards you can easily construct a routine out of. E.g. Shape shift a normal Red back jack of diamonds with a Black Tiger Jack of diamonds with a Red back (gaff)

etc etc.

Sep 4, 2008
estonia
i have Ghostgaff and i use mostly 4diamond pip trick and split 7 and a one of my own created trick.
got nice reactions with those;)

For this thread I will asume you are talking about Ellusionists Gaff Decks...

GAFFS & PRICESThere are tons of gaff decks. There is a Ghost Gaff, a Black Tiger Gaff, a Red/Blue gaff, an Ultragaff. All of them are different. They also varry in prices. In order to perform any tricks from the Ghost, Tiger, or Red/Blue gaff decks it is esential that you have some knowledge of sleight of hand as well as purchase the "Army of 52 Gaff Training" DVD. This will guide you along on MOST of the effects that you have in your deck. However, some will still require you to use your imagination.

when you have a Ghost Gaff you must also own the regular Ghost Deck. when You have the Tiger Gaff you must also have the regular Tiger deck. I think you see the picture.

Tiger Gaff: $30
Ghost Gaff: $30
Red/Blue Gaff: $30
Army of 52 Training DVD: $30

Ultra-Gaff: $30
Ultra-Gaff Training DVD: Each DVD is 30$ or buy all 3 for 90$ and get a free Ultar-Gaff Deck...

ARE THEY USEFUL?

It depends on your point of veiw. Some people say that they are much to fake looking and that no Self-respecting magician would be caught with one. Others say they are great because of the art and originality that goes into them.

I say that in the proper situation a gaff deck can be a great tool that will be sure to hit hard and make your reputation. ( I own a Red Gaff Deck & An Ultra-Gaff Deck.)

At an improper tme the deck can make you look bad. It makes you look like someone who only cares about gimmicks and makes you look like you are dying for fame and fortune.

It's all about picking your situation and using it to your advantage... "Is this the time to do a regular sleight trick... or use the gaffs?"

EFFECTS FOR THEM

I will name a few of my favorite effects...

Fading Queen: The queen of Spades slowly fades into a blank card.

Moving Pips: the spades on a four of spades are moved into one corner by the magician. He then flicks it and the card is okay again.

Heat: A card is picked out of a red pack. (10 of spades.) Then it is returned. You tell them how heat helps you sometimes and blow on the card. You move your thumb. The spot where your thumb was is now blue. Next, half the card is blue. Finally, all the cards turn blue except for the selected card.

LINKS TO PAGES

Normal Red and Blue Bicycle decks: found at local stores or here: http://www.playingcardsandmore.com/...&Category=30&gclid=CJj44KjYhpYCFRkigQodyxLQEg

Normal Ghost Decks: http://www.ellusionist.com/product/...&keyword=ghost+deck&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

Normal Black Tiger Decks: http://www.ellusionist.com/product/accessories/cards/bicycle+black+tiger+deck.do

Red/Blue Gaff Deck: http://www.ellusionist.com/product/accessories/cards/bicycle+gaff+deck.do

UltraGaff Deck: http://www.ellusionist.com/product/...ragaff+deck+-+gaffed+bicycle+playing+cards.do

Ghost Gaff Deck: http://www.ellusionist.com/product/playing+cards/bicycle+ghost/ghost+gaff+deck.do

Black Tiger Gaff Deck: http://www.ellusionist.com/product/...rd=black+tiger+gaff&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

Army of 52 Training DVD: http://www.ellusionist.com/product/accessories/cards/army+of+52.do

UltraGaff Training DVD: http://www.ellusionist.com/product/...ia/ultragaff+tricks+&+effects+training+dvd.do
Make sure you watch the advertising videos. they'll give you a taste of the tricks available in each of those decks. I hope I was at least some help to you.

Dylan P.

Apr 30, 2008
PA
In my opinion th ebest gaff deck there is is Ultra Gaff but its a little advanced and you dont want to ONLY do gaff tricks its not good and people might catch on , but my fav in the ultra gaff is parallel, angles,jackpot, and graphic link their just amazing and always blow people away but yea try to learn normal tricks first, may i recomend things like panic, daniel madisons mystuiqe has some awsome ****ing tricks and some are hard some are very easy but still good.

Mar 29, 2008
Wow - this frostbullet comes into the forum - and we expose every gimmick known to man to him. Not to side track this - but I remember going into the magic shop and not having ANYONE share with me. I needed to EARN the knowledge by showing dedication to learning. Now you can come onto the forum and say...HI - I am new - can you tell me everything about magic..this was only his second post. At what point do we count this as exposure?

So let me get this right - if you are new to magic, then exposure is okay - if you aren't a magician, exposure is bad? This could be another thread.

Maybe we should have approached this another way - like, JUST ANSWER HIS QUESTION.

Different gaffs allow for different advantages and disadvantages - if you don't know what they are for, you are not ready to use them.

Instead - we dump a tonne of information out there - probably the most useful was Dylan's post...at least it pointed him in the right direction to buy gaffs that won't fly - but he will be able to buy some videos to teach him how to use them!!!

Not trying to start anything - but I just wanted to point out that this community is TOO generous with it's knowledge.

ALthough I am sure Frosty is a cool guy (no pun intended), we should be more careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 20, 2008
Uhh... i think everyone else can read this topic as well, and its not an exclusive topic for him.

So in a way, were actually contributing to the discussion in the community regarding gaff decks?

or am i missing something here...

Mar 29, 2008
Sinful07 - as of lately, I think this forum has become VERY loose on what is considered exposure and what is not.

I have recently seen DL talked about like it was common knowledge - a step by step direction on Elmsley counts and variations - and many other examples during discussion.

Because there is no standard or block for "non-members" I think it is in our best interest to be more careful in what we are saying.

IF we all don't put heat on this topic - this forum will become an open door to exposure - so you are missing something - as magician's we should be more careful on how we share. Instead, you can find out ANYTHING at anytime because you signed up - remember, Frostbullet has 2 posts - BOTH in this topic.

Like I said, I am sure he is a good guy - but perhaps this early in his membership, we would want to point him in the right direction - rather than dump so much "sacred" knowledge on him.

Context right?

Sep 20, 2008
Since when is introducing concepts and routines for gaff decks been considered as exposure? the full gallery for the deck is listed on the site (in E, but i cant be arsed to get the link)

What were contributing are just ideas on how to use the cards (for example my original 13 of diamonds variation from the ghost gaff)

The 'Tricks' themselves in the DVD's are the ones that you should look out for, otherwise, concepts and ideas that are contributed by members are contributed under their own discretion- its their idea, their choice to share.

-Sorry, i dont mean to sound aggressive. =]

Wow - this frostbullet comes into the forum - and we expose every gimmick known to man to him. Not to side track this - but I remember going into the magic shop and not having ANYONE share with me. I needed to EARN the knowledge by showing dedication to learning. Now you can come onto the forum and say...HI - I am new - can you tell me everything about magic..this was only his second post. At what point do we count this as exposure?

So let me get this right - if you are new to magic, then exposure is okay - if you aren't a magician, exposure is bad? This could be another thread.

Maybe we should have approached this another way - like, JUST ANSWER HIS QUESTION.

Different gaffs allow for different advantages and disadvantages - if you don't know what they are for, you are not ready to use them.

Instead - we dump a tonne of information out there - probably the most useful was Dylan's post...at least it pointed him in the right direction to buy gaffs that won't fly - but he will be able to buy some videos to teach him how to use them!!!

Not trying to start anything - but I just wanted to point out that this community is TOO generous with it's knowledge.

ALthough I am sure Frosty is a cool guy (no pun intended), we should be more careful.

Morgician,
As flattered as I am that you would say that you think my answer may be the best I still will have to argue with you on one subject.

I did not see any exposure going on in this thread. I DID see some answers that helped nobody but they were not exposure. For example some people said, "Dude, gaffs are the shiznit. buy one right now."
They neglected to tell them about training DVD's as well as a basic knowledge of sleight of hand required to pull off these effects. However they did not say: "Dude, gaffs are the shiz and you need to do a double lift a lot, which is when..........(censored by Dylan P.)"

However, if you could find somewhere in this thread that is clearly exposure and show me, i would gladly apologize and rethink my opinion. And thank you for saying my thread was good. I just try to answer all parts of the question as well as provide some useful examples... (Not to gloat... but I get sick of these one sentence answers that answer very little... and I have actually considered writing a thread on how to reply to a post. I may do that tonight.)

Anyway, find some exposure then I will gladly reconsider my statements,
Dylan P.

Oct 1, 2008
I'm glad that everyone is trying to help me out! Really appreciate it! However, about the gaff decks, I'm might be getting it soon and yup, just wanna know more about it. Depending on the information i get, I might decide not to buy it. Sorry if I made any of you guys angry or so.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results